Roush grille - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Roush grille

I'm thinking about getting the roush grille, it'll be my first mod to my new pony car. Is it hard to instal? Has anyone had problems with theirs? I was going to get the American billet grille but since I have the pony package I guess I have to get the roush one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
austin3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I have it and love it. Gives the crva whole new look. Pretty easy to install.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Does it take a long time to instal or can I knock it out in about an hour?

austin3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

That I don't know. When I did mine I also installed the front splitter so I took the bumper off. Do you have the upper and lower? It looks kind of weird if you only do the upper.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin3.7 View Post
I'm thinking about getting the roush grille, it'll be my first mod to my new pony car. Is it hard to instal? Has anyone had problems with theirs? I was going to get the American billet grille but since I have the pony package I guess I have to get the roush one.

Hey austin3.7,

Welcome to Mustang Evolution!

I bought the Upper & Lower Roush Grilles and I must say, they look amazing. They are 10x better looking than the billet ones so you're already making the right choice on getting the Roush

Are you only installing the upper? or doing the lower as well? I did both at the same time and went ahead and took the bumper off because it involves some trimming of the plastic tabs to properly install the Lower grille.

If you're only installing the Upper grille, many people have simply yanked the upper grille out. Then all you need to do if pop the roush one in, and follow the instructions on inserting all the tabs.

My install, upper & lower, took roughly between ~1-2 hours. Removing the bumper was probably the longest part, being it was my first time. It is very simple, though. The instructions included by Roush are very detailed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	After Dipped Emblem.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	177666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5873.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	177667  

Name:	MustangRTRfresh.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	177668  
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
the roush looks so good but I'm weary of dropping down the bumper.. i really want it though. but I'm also weary of just pulling the old grille out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
the roush looks so good but I'm weary of dropping down the bumper.. i really want it though. but I'm also weary of just pulling the old grille out.

I was worried about taking my bumper off too. It was actually really easy to do.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

does messing with the front end have the potential to mess with the airbag sensors or anything? that's what I'm worried about too.

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 03-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
does messing with the front end have the potential to mess with the airbag sensors or anything? that's what I'm worried about too.

Not that I'm aware off. The only thing I had to disconnect was the outside temp. sensor. plus fog lights if equipped I believe. You actually are only taking off the bumper cover. I would think the airbag sensor would be attached the the bumper itself not the cover. Maybe someone else knows 100% for sure. I'm just assuming that's where it would be.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you disconnect your battery when taking off the bumper (I would just to be safe) there should be no chance of any airbag sensors going off.
Zombiefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
The Roush grilles are nice looking, but seem a bit on flimsy side when compared to stock. I haven't had any issues with mine and have run them both with and without a emblem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141222_080724_resized_4 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	177682   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140606_172901_resized - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	177683  

Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You don't have to take the bumper off. Here's link to installing the lower grille with the bumper on.

Roush 421496 Mustang Grille Lower V6/GT 2013-2014/Boss 2013

The upper grille can be installed by pulling out the stock grille and installing the new one.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
You don't have to take the bumper off. Here's link to installing the lower grille with the bumper on.

Roush 421496 Mustang Grille Lower V6/GT 2013-2014/Boss 2013

The upper grille can be installed by pulling out the stock grille and installing the new one.
yeah but pulling on somethinng wtih that many clips means i'm bound to break atleast one of them and f up my bumper somehow, wouldn't you think?
Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
yeah but pulling on somethinng wtih that many clips means i'm bound to break atleast one of them and f up my bumper somehow, wouldn't you think?
Nope, there's a video on YouTube where you just pull real hard on the upper grille and it pops out, clips and all. Search on YouTube for 2013 Mustang Grille Install.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 03-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post

Nope, there's a video on YouTube where you just pull real hard on the upper grille and it pops out, clips and all. Search on YouTube for 2013 Mustang Grille Install.
MustangDawg,

Need your help finding that video please, I looked for more than an hour but no luck finding it.

Thanks

GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
MustangDawg,

Need your help finding that video please, I looked for more than an hour but no luck finding it.

Thanks

Try this, the mechanics are the same, just a different grille:

A Tasty 2013-2014 Mustang Grille Replacement from CDC
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks MustangDawg! That is very helpful!

I sure would love to see a video of that! I can't imagine not breaking some of the the retaining tabs. Seems as if the retaining tabs need to be depressed in to get them started without ending up somehow breaking some of them.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #18

Region: Washington
Just installed my MCA grille 2 days ago. See MCA Grille forum I wrote.
To take off the stock grille it really is simply a matter of masking up the bumper area to prevent a scratch then with your fingers in the stock holes at a wide grip give it a good yank. Might take a few tries because your nervous at first but it will simply just pop off. The tabs on the stock grilles are thick plastic and the middle tabs that spring up to hold in place are shallow so when you yank on it they flex down and allow you to remove the grille easily. Id be surprised if you actually broke one.
smcd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
Thanks MustangDawg! That is very helpful!

I sure would love to see a video of that! I can't imagine not breaking some of the the retaining tabs. Seems as if the retaining tabs need to be depressed in to get them started without ending up somehow breaking some of them.
I had no problem with breaking clips when doing the quick pull method. I could not get my fingers in there, so I lowered a crescent wrench in from the top, slid the handle through the openings, and put a screwdriver through the hole at the end. Using one wrench per hand, I pulled it right out. Just make sure to use some painters tape on the bumper all the way around the grille to prevent scratching.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Too HOT
HP435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Excellent! Thanks guys for sharing your experiences! You are sincerely appreciated!
Old 03-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
20 years for now some one would wish it was stock!
HP435 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang