Wiring for replacement seats? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Wiring for replacement seats?

I may be purchasing a set of powered/heated leather seats out of my friend's mustang and swapping them into my Base mustang with manual cloth seats. Is there any way I can wire in the power function of the new seats and the heating function in the base?

Any instructions online or anybody here that has done this sort of swap?
lisl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

I am not familiar with the heated seat plugs but be careful for the SRS system. I tried swapping in seats from another mustang and it kept tripping the Airbag light. So I ended up swapping back the old seats and just swapping out the cloth covers for the leather ones.

If you don't have someone who can reprogram the SRS system to talk to the newly swapped seats, your airbag system may stop working. As this was the issue I faced when swapping them. Even though the airbags in both sets of seats were tested fine.

I even tried pulling/checking fuses, checking and reseating connections, tried swapping the seats 1 at a time. The SRS system did not like either one of the seats being swapped out.

But on the other hand, you may get lucky and everything just works.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

As far as the heated seats, I believe you will need the radio faceplate with the heated seat buttons. Also, I believe the car is missing a certain fuse that you would need to put in. Hopefully someone can clarify more on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Like this for example:

2010 2014 Mustang 5 0 GT500 Radio Face Plate Bezel Trim Climate Controls | eBay
Old 03-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hey thanks for the info here. Did you move the bladder thing from under the old seats to the ones you swapped in? Did the airbag lights come on even if you plugged in the new airbag connector? (Was the battery unplugged when you did all the swapping?)
Old 03-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Yes the battery was disconnected. I even tried clearing all trouble codes and such. When you start the car, the SRS system does a self test and if anything is off/not functioning/not communicating, it triggers the dash light.

Yes all of the connectors and everything was securely seated but the light still triggered. Even tried swapping 1 seat at a time to see if just 1 of them was bad, but it triggered no matter which side was swapped.

As soon as I put the old seats back in, everything was fine. So that told me it did not like the modules in the leather seats. And also confirmed the system itself was still fine and operational. Which is why I ended up pulling the covers off and swapping those instead.

Maybe other people on here have more information to lend, but this was my experience.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

Region: Kentucky
I have 2012 base and swap my seats. They don't have heat seat, but the power seat is plug and play. You don't need nothing. My lights air bag turn on but the dealer turn off. I think is prewire maybe for the head seat you need the switch
Ochoa1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ah so there is wiring in the base car for power seats preinstalled?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochoa1801 View Post
I have 2012 base and swap my seats. They don't have heat seat, but the power seat is plug and play. You don't need nothing. My lights air bag turn on but the dealer turn off. I think is prewire maybe for the head seat you need the switch
Sounds like your dealer reprogrammed your SRS system. I knew that is what the issue was.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Anybody know if there is wiring in the base car for power seats preinstalled? Can I reset the SRS system by myself?
Old 03-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
Kevin.Cook

There are fuses and such that you can pull that will allow you to reset the SRS system, but it will not program the new seats for you. The dealer will need to do that. Once the new seats triggered the airbag light for me, I reset the SRS system but it did not fix it. Light came back on after the SRS did its self-test when the car turns on.

I would highly doubt Ford would prewire the car for something it did not come with. Or else my car would have been prewired for MyColor, Puddle Lamps, Etc. Which none of it was.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

For anyone that's interested, I got my seats swapped today for 2014 Leather Power Seats W/ Power lumbar and the base models do in fact have the wiring for power seats preinstalled in the harness under the seat. All functions do work. Did not do the heated ones.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

And no airbag lights (Maybe because seats were out of the same model year)
Old 03-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Very nice. Glad to see ford actually prewired the cars for something. Wish MyColor was on that list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang