Fuel Level Discrepancy after 93 Octane Tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Fuel Level Discrepancy after 93 Octane Tune

Hey guys so I dont know if anyone has experienced this, but does the below picture look off to you guys? (Analog vs digital fuel readout)

Video I just took of where my tank is at now and the digital readout, versus after a full 93 octane fillup and the discrepancy between 87 octane:
https://youtu.be/vDcrETbNY0A

(Engine was idling for 3 minutes when this pic was taken but is the same digital readout even after car has been idling to 50% oil temp)

When I had the car stock at 87 octane, all fill ups to max showed full tank to the 'F' needle and ~305 miles to empty on the digital readout on the tach display info pane. After the tune to 93 octane on the preloaded SCT tunes for 93 octane, I am showing 3/4th's left of fuel on the analog gauge vs 300 miles to empty on the digital display... full tank fillup on the new 93 octane tune shows up as '340 miles to E' on the digital display and full tank to the 'F' needle on Analog gauge. Each gas fill stops when the pump clicked the handle.

Which gauge is accurate? I am leaning towards the analog gauge but was wondering if any of you experienced this when you went from a stock 87 tune to a different octane. Any thoughts on why this might have occurred when the tune was written?
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
Hey guys so I dont know if anyone has experienced this, but does the below picture look off to you guys? (Analog vs digital fuel readout)

When I had the car stock at 87 octane, all fill ups to max showed full tank to the needle and ~305 miles to empty. After the tune to 93 octane on the preloaded SCT tunes for 93 octane, I am showing 3/4th's left at 300 miles to empty... full tank on the new tune shows up as 340 miles to empty. Each fill stops when the pump clicked the handle.

Which gauge is correct/should trust? I am leaning towards the analog gauge but was wondering if any of you experienced this when you went from stock 87 tune to a different octane. Any thoughts on why this might have occurred when the tune was added?
Assuming you have something that tells you what your average MPG (or maybe even if you don't) the miles to empty is typically based on that current average. So when your average changes your miles to empty changes relative to your gas gauge.
Now if it wasn't reset manually, chances are a tune would have reset it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have the ability to change what is displayed there. My '14 premium is a bit different, that's why I must ask.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Assuming you have something that tells you what your average MPG (or maybe even if you don't) the miles to empty is typically based on that current average. So when your average changes your miles to empty changes relative to your gas gauge.
When I decided it was safe to transition the tune from 87 to 93, I let the tank go down to 1/8 the analog and filled the tank with a new quarter of 93. I let that run down to 1/8ths again and then refilled full tank to 93. No differences in mileage (analog vs digital readout) were apparent based on the stock tune. At full tank @ 93 octane, still showed full needle, 308 miles to empty. Upon the SCT tune, the miles to empty digital readout showed 348 and the analog dial still showed full. After 4 days, the analog needle started lowering faster than the digital readout indicated how many miles were left to empty. I can only assume the tune caused this of course, but was it a compensation for the ratio of fuel burnt to what you described as the previous average of MPG on the stock tune...if that is so, is there a way to correct this or I assume over time this will even out to reflect a 1:1 ratio between the analog and digital readout gauge? Thanks for your information, didn't think of the calculations on averages.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you have the ability to change what is displayed there. My '14 premium is a bit different, that's why I must ask.
I do. When I purchased the car I felt the average MPG readout was a little dated compared to my old nissan which would give real-time MPG statistics based on gas pedal compression. The 'Miles left to empty' screen readout was the only info screen I used above my Odometer display. I noticed when I flashed my pre-loaded SCT tune, the 'Trip A' screen was on by default when the car was started, engine initialized after the tune was written to the computer. Could have just been the computer resetting to default but some information to provide.

If I recall, the base model for the 'info' display above the odometer has the options, "Trip A, B, Average MPG, Miles left to E" and perhaps another data readout page for average statistics.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Uploading a video now to youtube showing where I am at now versus when I refuel
Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Video up showing a little bit more explanation what I am talking about, referencing the original post: https://youtu.be/vDcrETbNY0A
Old 03-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
This. If you turn your car on, and say you have 19 avg mpg. And you drive and say it goes to 20 avg mpg. Even though at that point it will show 200 miles to empty or w/e, it will change the next time you turn on your car. Because it recalculates based on the new average.

Now i kind of see the same thing when I tune my car. My guess is, because the tune resets some of the fuel trim memory and such, the car has to relearn it. So by default it resets your miles to empty. I am assuming if you drive it for a week and then fill it up, you won't get that same number. Because the car will now know how to burn off that 93 octane fuel as well as how much/quickly it will use it.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would disconnect the battery for about 20 mins. I've seen this before on the forums.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Watching the avg mpgs and miles to empty gives me an anxiety attack on the road. So i switched my cluster to the gauge view. Lol. On a Base Cluster, maybe just put it to something not fuel related.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I always leave my selection on MPG and ignore the miles to E. I just look at fuel gauge.
Miles to empty is an unknown to me since I don't know if empty means zero gas in the tank or do they figure in a buffer, like a couple of gallons left???
Old 03-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

If you really want to play the guessing game with your car/cluster. Just remove the cluster and then drive around. Doesnt get more mysterious then that

Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Watching the avg mpgs and miles to empty gives me an anxiety attack on the road. So i switched my cluster to the gauge view. Lol. On a Base Cluster, maybe just put it to something not fuel related.

I know that feeling. I told myself like, 4 or 5 tank fulls ago that i would stop calculating my gas mileage and just enjoy the car. But i still look at the fuel gauge at half full and start to think about my fuel mileage. lol. It came to the point that i have to reset my trip miles and switch it back to odometer so i dont sit there and see how many miles ive traveled at 3/4 of a tank.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang