What would you say are NEGATIVES about our Mustangs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
What would you say are NEGATIVES about our Mustangs

There are so many positives about this car that it would take too long to name but at the same time there are few things that are DRIVING me insane (pun intended).

1) MY biggest and most frustrating pet peeve is the fact that there is no auto climate. I have 2014 Premium Mustang ...my 2002 frikkin honda accord had auto climate. It also doesnt help that the manual climate control is complete garbage. I swear i always find my self turning the air from hot to cold every 5 minutes. If i need heat after 10 minutes it gets too hot so i will put the right knob to the lowest possible red spot and then the left nob to lowest setting. When i do that its still blowing really hot almost like turning the nob from full red to barely red doesnt make any differene... so i literally have to turn it to blue side for 5 mins and then red side for 5 mins and the blue side for 5 mins. I have tried turning off the heat once it gets hot but then after 5 mins it gets cold again and i have to turn it on again so no matter what i am always adjusting the climate. If i had known what i know now i would have paid extre $2000 to get the electronics package just to have automatic climate control or i would NOT have gotten the car. Yes its annoying me that much.

2) There is no sun/eye glasses storage area, there is a perfec spot in the middle top area for sun glasses storage but they decided not to add it. Once again my 2002 honda accord had it.

3) The middle console is very outdated...its very bland compared to the rest of the car.

I was considering getting the after market navigation/backup camera from American Muscle. Does anyone know if it includes automatic climate control if i buy it. If so that would literally solver 2/3 of my issues with the car.

Also i would love to hear your negatives about the car.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
2) There is no sun/eye glasses storage area, there is a perfec spot in the middle top area for sun glasses storage but they decided not to add it. Once again my 2002 honda accord had it.
The visor clip kinda counts!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
This all mustangs or just 11-14 v6 cars?

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
1) MY biggest and most frustrating pet peeve is the fact that there is no auto climate. I have 2014 Premium Mustang ...my 2002 frikkin honda accord had auto climate.

Guess I cant really argue if you live in a place where the seasons change so drastically lol but on my dads 2009 corvette and 2014 grand sport, the climate control is so finicky that I like to dial in the temperature in cabin based on how hot/cloudy it is and other weather factors. Ill admit it can be annoying but if the grand sport hasnt caught up to the 'consumer expectation' of technology at $46k, I have learned to just adjust it as usual..besides theres that cool feeling when you get in your car and have to toggle buttons like your entering a fighter pilot mustang..p-51 mustang? *cough cough*

2) There is no sun/eye glasses storage area, there is a perfect spot in the middle top area for sun glasses storage but they decided not to add it. Once again my 2002 honda accord had it.

My stang new came with clips to attach to the driver visor/passneger for either a sunglasses clip which I use everyday in Miami or a pen clip for the passenger..because ya know, they need to be writing stuff down when your in a 305 to the crank mustang /facepalm

3) The middle console is very outdated...its very bland compared to the rest of the car.

I cant speak for premium with navigation but I actually the bland but good materials in the console. Its very simple and basic "if emergency press here" oriented. Again this is biased but I had a loaded 2013 Maxima before my stang and the cushy feeling of all the gadgets was just too distracting to even enjoy the car. I chose a base model mustang for one purpose: get in, turn the key on, and just drive with no distractions and feel the revamp of 2011 performance.

I know I am trolling you with every pointt you give but I do have a few of my own that are BIG pet peeves:

1.) No Compass - I know I bought a base to limit distractions but damnit, there are times where I need to know what direction I am facing. Living in Miami there is no clear indicator of NSWE until you cross 4 intersections, do the math and deduce that 143th avenue that you just passed is a landmark and 137th Avenue is another one, so you must be going south...I could have easily missed 3 intersections, an illegal U-turn, and 10 more minutes of waiting to turn the light if I had known ahead of time the direction i was heading was wrong a long time ago.

2.) Picky Warranty - With ford now encouraging modifications to the 2015 models, it pains me to hear stories of upper management at warranty departments denying repair claims based on sensible upgrades to what ford left out in the manufacturing process from the 2012-2014 Mustang v6's. Currently Shelby and Roush are the only warranty-backed factory tuners for the v6's while the rest of us are discovering the magic this aluminum engine can handle. It is a shame that this generation is no longer regarded as worthy by Ford corp.

3.) Standard Plastics - As much as I appreciate money towards performance in lieu of cosmetic appearance mods, once part stands out to me among the rest..the window mirror covers. I still don't understand why Ford didn't include the painted mirror cover as standard equipment across all mustang for the 13-14 year end generation..It literally makes no logical or financial sense to me as we didn't see any anniversary edition for this last generation.

Overall, I love my stang and wouldnt go back to my maxima no way in hell! Glad to be here, despite the minimal, pet peeves it has.
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The plastic door panels in my own opinion let the car down. Plus all the other cheap plastics, and rattles in the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grabber Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I second the climate control issues. I don't know that I need auto climate, but I am like OP. Literally have to change it one click every 5 min because it gets to damn hot or too damn cold. I thought I was alone in this so I'm happy to see I'm not the only one. I had a 07 tacoma before and it didn't have auto climate control but it stayed comfortable on one setting.

Other than that I have no gripes
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
My 2001 Grand Marquis had auto climate... And a tape deck.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Auto climate control would be so nice, for me the manual climate control has two functions, blue= artic and red= hellfire if you leave it on for a few minutes, and it becomes annoying as leaving it in the center just makes it awkwardly stuffy inside the car.

SR Performance CAI, Bama 91R tune, Roush Axleback, BBK Shorty Headers.
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Only one door lock, on the Driver's Side. Ford is too CHEAP to put one on the passengers side!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Auto climate control would be so nice, for me the manual climate control has two functions, blue= artic and red= hellfire if you leave it on for a few minutes, and it becomes annoying as leaving it in the center just makes it awkwardly stuffy inside the car.

SR Performance CAI, Bama 91R tune, Roush Axleback, BBK Shorty Headers.
ahahha i like the way you put it with two functions being hellfire and artic.
Glad others find it annoying because i was thinking maybe i am being a baby about it but it really does annoy me to the point where i am considering other cars because of it.

Maybe i got spoiled by my 2002 honda with automatic climate. Put it on 72 to 75 and you are in perfect conditions...in my mustang i alwasy feel like its either too hot or too cold...always turning nobs right left lol.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:46 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What would you say are NEGATIVES about our Mustangs

Umm I don't really have any complain really except the damn cup holders, if you have a manual car you can't really drive conformably.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

My biggest complaint is on the performance end! A top speed of 113?!?! And to go over that you need a stronger drive shaft? And standard 2.73 gears! Seriously Ford?! That has peeved me off ever since I bought it. Obviously that was on me for not doing the research and just doing test drives but I still love the car even if I have to throw stacks of money at it! Lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mike3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Biggest but smallest complaint is the dang key and antenna. All 2012+ cars got rid of the antenna and the Mustang still had it, not to compare but the Camaro and Challenger had good looking little shark fin antennas and ours is just there. Also our key is outdated, most new cars have either push start even with their base models which we have no option of or the key is hidden and you push a button like a switch blade and the key turns out, I think it's cool and classy. The Camaro has a nice key but ours is just a regular key with a little Mustang decal looking circle.

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:29 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Fussy transmission (I've done all the "fixes") but shifting is still random in how nicely it shifts. Sometimes amazingly smooth..sometimes not so much.

Already mentioned the vast number of rattles which wouldn't be acceptable in a boring car.

Lack of steering feel. It handles great but there is NO feel. I just had a rental of a Chevy Impala for a week and the one corner I took at speed I was amazed how nicely the steering tightened up and you could actually feel the tires.

It ain't a V8
Old 03-18-2015, 04:53 AM   #15

The climate thing is a pain to me as well, only if they did have that auto climate it would make such a difference in the climate department, my 2000 GT was the same way and needed the climate control since then, 14 years later they still didn't have it.

I have the head unit with navigation from American Muscle and it does not fix or include anything to do with the climate control, it does make a nice factory look with the screen instead of the little radio screen.

Also I dislike how Ford threw on this cheap drive shaft even with the performance package. I bet they didn't do that with the 2015's performance package. The improvements they made with the interior on the 15 with the remote start, cup holders more out of the way and the switches and all that crap should have already been implemented on the 2011 and up and on the 2013 and 14's should at least had the proximity key fob where you can keep it in your pocket to open door and start car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
STANG6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Hood with electrolysis causing paint to bubble up.
Faulty control arms causing the car to squeak
Frequent reports of water in the body because of poor sealing of panels
Plastic casing around thermostat that cracks prematurely
Can't replace the crappy head unit if you have sync because it will never work right if you do. I know they make some kind of harness adapter but even with that you lose a lot of the controls.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I never knew there was a such thing as auto climate hahah... weird.
and mine has a compass, to whoever said there wasn't one?

but mine is the hood paint bubbling up, and the sloshing water getting stuck between the rear quarter panels. other than that, I like it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Cup holders. anything in em and it's a B to shift
sledge42hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I agree on my 2013 trying to shift gears with cup in cup holder is a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
69mach1390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yup climate control sucks. . But I also hate them damn rear end clunk sounds and driveshaft vibration.
R.R.STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #21

Region: South Dakota
1 have a 2014 premium what I don't like is there is no auto release passengers side seat, you have to release the seat back and then slide the seat ahead. Is the 2015 still the same?

louie3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Only a few complaints here::::::::::::::::::::

It seems at times when I come out of a store such as Publix, Walmart,Save-A-Lot with some frozen food ,there is always someone standing around admiring my Mustang. I have to stand there and talk about Mustangs for a few minutes. I found I always just have to carry my freezer bags with some ice packs in it when going to buy groceries.
That is the ONLY serious problem I can find with my Mustang.

Cup holders --Not a problem because nobody is allowed food or drinks in my car.
Antenna - I like it. Someplace to put my club flag on at car shows.
Air Condition - Mine works just fine, Actually it works perfect all the time (Knobs are easy to adjust)
Compass - My car has one & a thermometer too.
Picky Warranty - never needed to use it so I don't know.
Sun glass holder - I keep my clip on's on my case on the dash.
Interior - I love my interior, Leather seats, conveniant plug for my GPS, plenty of storage space. Just a great looking part of my Mustang.

Stupid crap heavey drive shaft - I gotta admit, That is a terrable flaw on the 3.7 V6 If you ever replaced yours with an aluminum one you will know how crappy the stock drive shaft is. ( What is good is it can be change pretty easy)
Ugly stock brake calipers - I can never figure out why they have to be so plug butt ugly. They do function really good but "UGLY" they are.

I now have my Mustang just about the way I want it. It really did not need much and I'm still going to be modding some more. Not that my Red Ryder needs it but just because I want to do it.

Sometime I think I love my car way tooooo much !!!!!!

After owning my Mustang since 2011( Bought new -A2012 when first came out) I still can't stop looking at it.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
All these issues were corrected in the 2015. But I chose a 14 instead because...
1. It's all motor (GT anyway) and looks that way too. It's cheap and basic inside, it's a box that's sole purpose is to have a place to sit while enjoying a beast of a motor.
2. You can have a V6 model for cheaper cost and insurance but still LOOK like you have a no non sense all motor car.
3. It's all about the motor and while I don't hate on V6 or new ecoboost models, I hope all of you can eventually own the GT Coyote version of this car and have that incredible feeling driving it. It's simply incredible.
4. If they change the new model Mustang to look a little more masculine, I'll switch.

I traded a 14 Taurus Limited with the SHO appearance package and any and every option, that thing even gave you a heated message.it LOOKED badass but I didn't salivate to drive it. It got me from point a to b very comfortably ....and bored.
I would have wasted money with mods or performance improvements on it because....it was not fun to begin with. It could look like an SHO, but it wasnt.
I wish my 14 had better storage, nicer door panels....but I forget about those things when I turn the key.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Umm I don't really have any complain really except the damn cup holders, if you have a manual car you can't really drive conformably.

I second that, I can't even bring drinks when I drive because I'll have to shift awkwardly.

Kingkong
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #25
Kevin.Cook

Cheap plastics are a pain point. Primitive radio setup, even for the Premium models you would at least expect an in-dash screen setup or something.

I feel base models couldnt get much junky for being 2014s. Cluster is boring as well as everything else about the car.

If you drove a premium mustang but ended up with a Base, it leaves ALOT to be desired.

As far as performance, 2.73 gears will at least let you keep up with people on bicycles.

On a serious note, i believe Ford makes these cars purposely missing things so they/other companies can have a big aftermarket for this car.

You can tell by seeing the indentions where things could go on/in the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Notchy shifts, but my biggest complaint, is the non memory seats. I have little kids in the back seat, and adjusting the seat back to the right position is a pain.

Once the car starts and growls though, I just don't seem to care.
Byock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The 2015 took care of quite a few of these issues so that is good

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM   #28

The back seat is useless ... I just wish it had been left out, like the Laguna Seca models.
theColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #29
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
The 2015 took care of quite a few of these issues so that is good

I know. But i dont wanna trade in my car after putting soo much effort into it and carry over negative equity i think they did this to get people to trade up/buy. Its always a money gimmick.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #30

Region: Kentucky
I'm 6.3 tall and I need more space for drive comfortable

Doors panel cheaper plastic

Good idea overhead console
Ochoa1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I agree to most of the things here...hell my '96 BMW 3-Series had a better quality interior...but who cares? We all own that Mustang for different reasons It's just a reliable, affordable, powerful, customizable and beautiful car!
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I know. But i dont wanna trade in my car after putting soo much effort into it and carry over negative equity i think they did this to get people to trade up/buy. Its always a money gimmick.

This

I dont want to trade it in because i would lose so much money. On top of that i cant stand the way the back looks in the new Mustangs. I purchased my 14 when i knew all the specs of 15's and all the pictures/videos were out so getting a 15 is not an option.

The problem is the things i am complaining about are nothing special they have been out for 12-13 years so no excuse. I have automatic but i can definitely understand how the cup holders would be in the way.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

without a doubt its the cup holders. And really, one of them is useless and not going to hold anything since is only about an inch deep. At least that the way it is on my 98. The 2015 I don't really notice as is too new to bring a drink in it.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The entire car.

Well..... maybe not.

The entire car expect the engine and the body. Everything else about the car is junk.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #35
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The entire car.

Well..... maybe not.

The entire car expect the engine and the body. Everything else about the car is junk.

Very true. The Premium trim should be the Base. And the Premium model should include the backup camera, in dash screen, and other nice features. Shouldn't have to wait until 2015 to start getting these features. As other companies are mainstreaming most of these features now.

I believe Ford knows if they gave us everything at once, we wouldn't upgrade near as much. So they leave bread crumbs (features) throughout the models/years as to keep us wanting more.

Such as leaving out a manual mode for autos until 2013 (Sport mode). Leaving out the better radio until 2015. Leaving out the decent looking key fob until 2015. Leaving out remote start until 2015. and the list keeps going.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang