What would YOU do? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
What would YOU do?

Hi everybody!

I am torn. When I bought my '11 with 62k miles on it (because I was and still am on a budget), I told myself I would spend the difference between asking price and what I could negotiate out of it on mods. That was $2.5k. No more.
After 6 months I hit that self-imposed limit (gears, tuner, wheels, tires and axlebacks) but the mod bug bit me. I now have 66k miles on it (I know, I don't drive much but it will change in a couple of months) and got to a point where I technically could stop modding, live with it, save up money and drive it up to 100k (will probably take 3 years from now), then sell it and go for a 5.0.
Or...I could invest a little more and go for the next mods I am thinking of: a modular intake tube, throttle body and shorty headers, which would probably swallow another $800.

I know I have to make this decision on my own, it is just sometimes good to get feedback from outside. So what do you think? What is 'the best' way to go?
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Hate the mobile app. Just typed my thoughts and tried to post them and they vanished. Happens all the time.

Mod your current one and get a 5.0 when the time is right.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
So many opinions out there. Do what makes you happy but keeps food on the table. Drive what you can afford and drive it like you stole it.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you guys, both good points. I think I will wait for the Bama V2 tune to come, which would be for free I guess (free tunes for life program) and see what it does. For now, I will probably get that billet grille I 've been thinking about for weeks.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

A 5.0 is a good future choice when the car is paid off. Because you can use the v6 as your down payment. But keep modding. The excitement from each mod isnt gonna go away and should keep you occupied in the meantime

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-18-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Paid for the V6 in cash, that's the good thing. You're right, probably will use it as down payment for the 5.0. Though in 3 years and with 100k miles on it, the V6 will probably be only worth like $7k or something, lol. Yeah, I love modding it, even if its only sidemarker tint.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Well, maybe not wait 3 years. 1 year or 2 years tops if it is paid off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I would keep modding. It's a good hobby, and fun. I wouldn't buy a billet grille tho... $120 here, $200 there, it adds up quick. I would look for some used performance parts to save some $. Used TB can be had for 250, used headers for 200-250. Look around the facebook groups and the for sale ads here. I have saved sooooo much $ by doing that. I recently de-modded to change builds and sold a bunch of stuff. I have an Airaid CAI for sale if that's what you meant by intake and are looking to save a few $? I also have a JLT oil separator for sale which is another great mod to do for our cars. I highly recommend one.
Avoid the $100 pieces of plastic (grille) and get some zoom zoom $ !
Old 03-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

you're right, probably won't be able to hold myself back for so long, lol
Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I would keep modding. It's a good hobby, and fun. I wouldn't buy a billet grille tho... $120 here, $200 there, it adds up quick. I would look for some used performance parts to save some $. Used TB can be had for 250, used headers for 200-250. Look around the facebook groups and the for sale ads here. I have saved sooooo much $ by doing that. I recently de-modded to change builds and sold a bunch of stuff. I have an Airaid CAI for sale if that's what you meant by intake and are looking to save a few $? I also have a JLT oil separator for sale which is another great mod to do for our cars. I highly recommend one.
Avoid the $100 pieces of plastic (grille) and get some zoom zoom $ !
Good points, also. I want too many things Patience...
Old 03-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, so I made a decision and ordered a Black Modern Billet Pony Delete Grille and Matte Black Hood Accent Decals from AM. I always wanted to "close out" with those items. New rule: from now on, every $ I would have spent on other performance mods (TB, Headers, CAI, and other stuff that I would have wanted), goes into my 5.0 fund, which in 2 to 3 years will hopefully be big enough to pay cash and get a good deal on a '14, maybe even a '15 if the new design starts growing big on me.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Put your mod money in the bank for a Coyote. You've already spent 2.5 grand on toys for a V6? You want a Coyote and you won't get any higher resale on your used V6 by modding it, actually it might lower the value. You'll thank yourself if you put that money aside when your V6 hits 100k and isn't worth nearly what you think.
Who wants to buy a V6 with 100 thousand miles and has been totally riced up.
Enjoy the mods you've done already and start being nice to the future derklink.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hah, sure will! And no ricing intended. Just got smoked sidemarkers, window tint and now the grille and those hood accent decals. Wouldn't consider that rice at all. Sure, gears, tuner and wheels are sunk costs but that is ok. However, that might facilitate selling. Only thing I could take off and resell are the Magnaflow axle-backs.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I would keep the car even after getting a 5.0 if your budget will allow it. The car is paid for and by that time it may be feasible to lower coverages due to age. Keep the car to keep the miles off of the other one.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yea, if I can afford keeping it, I will keep it! It is my first Mustang and so far, it's been always good to me
Old 03-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
I would keep the car even after getting a 5.0 if your budget will allow it. The car is paid for and by that time it may be feasible to lower coverages due to age. Keep the car to keep the miles off of the other one.
I like my Stang but 2 of them??? If ya want two vehicles (which I know OP didn't mention) have the 2nd one be something different.

My Toys: Stang, Tacoma, Plow Truck (split with neighbor), CRV (wife's) and an old Farm Tractor with bucket and backhoe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang