Going back to stock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Going back to stock

Well it was fun but it's time to go back to the stock mufflers and intake. I have Roush AB and Roush CAI.

I did my first legit road trip this past weekend from phoenix to san diego and LA. Here in phoenix we don't have much for hills so the little bit of drone from the AB was tolerable/almost non-existent. But hitting some of the hills and mountains in CA sucked. It was mind shattering on any decent incline under load. Anything over 2500rpm in 5th sounded great, but keeping at that for long periods seemed like I was putting unnecessary load on the engine when I knew 6th was fine.

Now you're probably thinking that this one time trip shouldn't sway my feelings for the Roush, but it was just more than this trip. Having any weight besides me and the kid(ie another adult), gave similar drone.

Honestly if that 6th gear hum wasn't so bad I would keep the Roush. My commute is 60 miles each way and I spend a lot of time in 5th and occasionally 6th when traffic was clear. 6th was the only time I really had any issue. I have 2.73s and would still recommend the Roush to anyone who has 3.31s or higher as getting over 2k rpms really made the drone less noticeable.

I'd rather have the quiet stock exhaust all the time over dealing with the horrendous drone 10% of the time.

As for the CAI. It was more for sound and it helped balance out the sound from being 95% behind me, to being a whole car sound experience. Thumbs up on the sound improvement. But, and here comes the hot topic debate I've seen here lately, the heat creep in LA traffic was bad. It was fine/great while moving, but as soon as traffic backed up and I was sitting in 90+ temps, the response was non-existent. It almost felt flooded or bogged down and took some speed build up before it felt fine again. I imagine this was fresh air running into the engine bay. In light traffic or at stoplights it's never been an issue, it was when I was sitting in traffic for hours that it became really noticeable. Living in AZ(this will be my first full real summer) I can imagine this being a bigger problem for me in a couple of months.

I think I'm at the extreme and my results are not common for everyone. I'm sure most people won't experience the heat soak, at least people in mild climates or people who don't get stuck in horrendous traffic. I would still recommend the airaid/Roush CAI to people looking for the sound.

I guess for now I'll just focus on appearance. I may be looking to upgrade in the nearish future to a GT or ecoboost, so being stock will make the spontaneous trade-in much easier for me.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
yeah i hear you. sometimes when I floor it, I think damn these ataks are way too loud... but then im like eh, i'm lazy, so I'll never put the stock ones back on. hahha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Same thing here as far as drone. Going uphill is mind altering. I never understand everyone saying, "yeah bro, no drone! I swear!" Well I don't know what the technical definition of drone is but when you're in the mountains in a higher gear and going uphill, you want to smash your head with a hammer....that to me is drone.
That being said, I live with it, because.....ROUSH.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I get it. I live in Temecula,about 40 miles north of San diego and I drove down there once with my Mac axle back and it killed me. The drone was so bad the next day I ordered new mufflers. Drone sucks!
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
That's why I went really light on the mufflers....MBRP 's with just a LITTLE rumble!! Plus it's a convertible....with stereo and top down ....what noise??

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I get it. I live in Temecula,about 40 miles north of San diego and I drove down there once with my Mac axle back and it killed me. The drone was so bad the next day I ordered new mufflers. Drone sucks!
Then he sold them to me... LOL. Honestly the best sounding axle back out there but the drone is crazy. I mean really crazy.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.james.arias View Post
Then he sold them to me... LOL. Honestly the best sounding axle back out there but the drone is crazy. I mean really crazy.
I agree it is the best sounding exhaust. Drone is very subjective, I have a couple of friends with cars that drone so bad I won't drive in them, they love it. I don't mind some but too much makes me mental.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Here is a little trick to help with any drone, crack down the window a tad, it will help a lot. But those 2.73 are terrible because they put you in a terrible cruising RPMS.

2013 Candy Apple Red 3.7, Roush Axel Backs, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers,Barton shifter bracket, Bama tuned, SR lowering Springs, J&M adjustable pan hard bar, 3.73 Ford Racing gears, GT 500 spoiler, Upper and lower modern billit grill, 2010 GT Premium 19" wheels, GT 500 stripes, Painted mirror covers, MMD Billitt fuel door. 2014 Premium cluster, Chrome mustang shifter knob,
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Also, sit like a grandma! Lean all the way forward. Trust me, it works lol.

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:03 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

lmfao! I drive the same way, I love being right up close to everything, lazy status to gear shift and reach all panel controls. I have no idea how people pull off the 'laid back' stance with the seat reclined almost to the back seat -.- Always felt backwards on this even with guitar where everyone said its so much better to play with the guitar down by your waist on a strap..cant do it, it has to be angus young style with it right on my chest lol, im so backwards ***
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

playing guitar super low is awful for your back...just look at jimmy page lol. you have to have freakishly long arms to even think of playing that low.

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 03-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post

Lol, I sit upright. Not quite NASCAR hugging the wheel but close. I don't see how people lay the seats back past the pillar. I'm 5'10 and in my optimal seating position you can put stuff in the backseat without moving the drivers seat.

I think drone is subjective. I used to think people who *****ed about the drone on Roush were crazy or just whiney. It wasn't until I had to deal with real terrain that I noticed how bad it can get.

Roush still has the best sound at WOT 4k+ rpm. Probably the best sound of most vehicles I've heard period.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I sit back like I'm in the cockpit of a jet while cruising!! No drone with my mbrp's!!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've never noticed drone on the ataks... but that was the main reason I didn't buy roush, bc people said they drone like a ***** whereas borla doesn't.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Lesson to be learned: CAIs on stock cars are a hindrance and Roush ABs don't belong on the 3.7.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Look into Mag Streets....if anything you may want a slightly louder exhaust as a result which you can achieve by removing the resonators just after the cats.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I know your probable a little frustrated now and just want to go back to stock for a while. But remember there are other options out there for exhaust that provide more sound/ tone with out being overwhelming. With a straight through muffler like roush it will be extremely loud. I have the magnaflow streets and while they sound great its not overwhelming on long trips on the highway. I know borla makes similar style mufflers as well. I am actually surprised how often I get complements on my cars looks/ sound as its a base V6 with a few tasteful mods.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This is why I like my Magnaflow streets

Not obnoxiously loud.
A nice deep rumble.
Great looking tips.
Way lighter then the stock ford mufflers.
Fit is excellent.
Great top end performance.
NO Drone.
Always sounding good no matter what RPM.
Stainless Steel.

They may cost a little more, But you get to enjoy driving much better.
Ronnie

Ford Racing and Borla touring s are also good street mufflers. Neither are obnoxious and won't give you a headache when you take a long trip.
Personally, I like the Magnaflows the best because I think they do sound deeper and the tips look better. ( My Opinion)
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Flowmasters are pretty good. I love mine. Has some drone but I don't think its all that much and it doesn't really bother me anyways.

2014 Black 3.7 Mustang. Airaid intake, Sct Bame tuned. Flowmaster Force 2 axelbacks.
Arlexisv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Some drone is still too much drone

Wysh is going back to his stock muffles because the drone was a PITA for him. He is probably like me and only would want to hear the mufflers without the obnoxious drone or vibrations.

I love my Magnaflow streets because at 70/75 MPH they just plain sound great with "NO" drone or vibrations at all. I tune my ears to enjoy my pipes and can still listen to fifties music on my Sirius radio.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's true. I also just drive on basically flat land everyday

2014 Black 3.7 Mustang. Airaid intake, Sct Bame tuned. Flowmaster Force 2 axelbacks.
Arlexisv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Helped me

I removed the stock resonators and added Pypes M80's. With my Bassani axle backs. Sounds really good, and the drone is almost completely GONE! Wife will ride in it again! Lol
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I guess I fall in the category of, "I don't know why everyone is complaining about drone"... Everyone has different levels of what is acceptable though I guess... Audio is an extremely subjective category.. just ask the audiophiles.

I have a mangnaflow catted X with magnaflow competition catback (straight through design) and I don't think it's loud at all..... though my wife always make comments about how loud it is.

Maybe you guys need to get your testosterone levels checked?
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
I guess I fall in the category of, "I don't know why everyone is complaining about drone"... Everyone has different levels of what is acceptable though I guess... Audio is an extremely subjective category.. just ask the audiophiles.

I have a mangnaflow catted X with magnaflow competition catback (straight through design) and I don't think it's loud at all..... though my wife always make comments about how loud it is.

Maybe you guys need to get your testosterone levels checked?
Lol, I'm with you. Love my Roush with shorties but I also love the sound of flows, borlas and even the crappy fitting pypes. I'm not a huge fan of spending hundreds of dollars for ABs to sound slightly louder than stock. If that was the case I'd replace the stock mid pipe and get better sound with the stockers. IMO Mustangs are meant to be heard but to each their own. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Lesson to be learned: CAIs on stock cars are a hindrance and Roush ABs don't belong on the 3.7.
And 2010 gt owner's don't belong in the 11-14 section lol. Jk Jk

Old 03-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
And 2010 gt owner's don't belong in the 11-14 section lol. Jk Jk

No the 2010s don't belong anywhere if we're being honest here, I'll admit it
Old 03-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think the Roush are designed for the 5.0 but the 3.7 got them as a consolation. I think any straight through would sound good on the 3.7 at high rpm. Just not at the 1700 75mph we get with the freaking 2.73s.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No the 2010s don't belong anywhere if we're being honest here, I'll admit it
IMO one of the greatest sounding V8s of all time!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:52 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

So these axle backs sound better with higher gears?
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

MBRP's ftw, baby!
Mustang No.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
So these axle backs sound better with higher gears?

I would imagine so. Getting it over 2k rpm cruising seems to almost be the sweet spot for these. Now in 6th with 2.73s my 75mph is right about 1750. Pushing up to 85ish gets it to just under 2k and the drone subsides substantially. Getting to 90+ or dropping to 5th at 75 and sitting at 2500 the drone is almost gone. So I would think 3.31s would be about perfect.

Thinking about it more now, I'm sure they were designed around 3.31s as that is what comes with the performance pack. PP people are probably most likely to mod/upgrade. The 2.73 is meant to be the every person car, like rentals and such. I'm pretty sure they did little to no testing on 2.73s when developing the AB.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Well, it's done. Took an hour or so for the shop to swap it back.

It's much more enjoyable at cruising speeds. It actually feels like it runs smoother, less boat anchor engine braking, less surge/lurching just overall a nicer experience.

I will miss the 3k+ sound though. I did a pass through the big tunnel on my way to the shop to give it a good loud send off.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

feels smoother just bc you took axlebacks off? huh??
Old 04-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Am I the only one who thinks these cars sound nice bone stock?
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
Am I the only one who thinks these cars sound nice bone stock?
Do you have the manual? The autos don't have much of a sound at all.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang