Rev limiter. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Rev limiter.

So on my way home from work I was merging onto the highway, I down shifted and matted it only to have my pedal stick to the floor for whatever reason, maybe got stuck on the carpet. She kissed of the rev limiter about 5 times before I shut off the engine doing about 100kmh. My question to you guys is should the engine be fine or is that something that could have hurt it. It seemed totally fine and upon further inspection my carpet had come loose from the two clips on the carpet. I've never hit the rev limiter before lol.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
So on my way home from work I was merging into the highway and down shifted and matted it only to have my pedal stick to the floor for whatever reason, maybe got stuck on the carpet. She kissed of the rev limiter about 5 times before I **** off the engine doing about 100kmh. My question to you guys is should the engine be fine or is that something that could have hurt it. It seemed totally fine and upon further inspection my carpet had come loose from the two clips on the carpet. I've never hit the rev limiter before lol.

I think an accidental ping isn't a whole lot to worry about. It is there to save your car lol

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I called my dealer and he also agreed but I wanted to hear from our members. Scared the **** out of me lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I called my dealer and he also agreed but I wanted to hear from our members. Scared the **** out of me lol.

That happened to my parents expy in a parking lot and my dad took out a bunch of carts lol. Luckily you were somewhere open where it didn't matter a whole lot

Old 03-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
My accelerator got stuck to the floor the other day too, but mine is an auto not in sport shift mode so I hit about 105 before I was able to pull the pedal back up. Wife was in the car and freak her the hell out...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
VTHokiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
So on my way home from work I was merging onto the highway, I down shifted and matted it only to have my pedal stick to the floor for whatever reason, maybe got stuck on the carpet. She kissed of the rev limiter about 5 times before I shut off the engine doing about 100kmh. My question to you guys is should the engine be fine or is that something that could have hurt it. It seemed totally fine and upon further inspection my carpet had come loose from the two clips on the carpet. I've never hit the rev limiter before lol.

pardon my ignorance on this, but what's the rev limiter? i've floored it many times and never had some kinda issue?

also, weathertech mats ftw!
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
pardon my ignorance on this, but what's the rev limiter? i've floored it many times and never had some kinda issue?

also, weathertech mats ftw!
There is a rev limiter set to 6500 or 6250 something like that lol. It won't go past the limit

Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

doesn't it redline at 7k?? so nobody here has ever redlined?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
doesn't it redline at 7k?? so nobody here has ever redlined?

There is a 'redline' around 7k RPM but with the rev limiter on a stock tune, it wont let you reach that engine speed, it will keep pinging back from 6k-6.5 rapidly until you let off the throttle. Safety measure.
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I'm not stock so I believe it was around 65-7k.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

oh wow. I had no idea. so when people say they're redlining showing off their exhaust on YouTube, chances are if they're stock, they're not actually redlining eh? never knew it bc i never did that since I got the car. I mean, I've hauled *** and slammed gears but i don't think I've ever run 1st and 2nd over 5k rpms

Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
oh wow. I had no idea. so when people say they're redlining showing off their exhaust on YouTube, chances are if they're stock, they're not actually redlining eh? never knew it bc i never did that since I got the car. I mean, I've hauled *** and slammed gears but i don't think I've ever run 1st and 2nd over 5k rpms

The red line starts at 6.5 or something like that

Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

But in my 07 there was a neutral rev limiter that wouldn't allow you to rev past 4.5 I nelieve

Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Redlines serve various purposes.

In a 5.0 the stock Revlimiter is set to 6700 rpms, for the reason that the motor is not making any power past that RPM (due to the intake manifold design). However, Boss and CJ equipped 5.0s rev to 7500-8000 all day long, so clearly the factory rev limiter is there for the purposes of the powerband, and not drivetrain safety ... though i'm not sure Ford Condones us revving that high.

Same principle on a 3.7. Just because there is a rev limiter at 6xxx rpms does not automatically mean that revving that high (or even slightly over) is inherently going to damage the engine, it just means that is where the tuner (stock or otherwise) has set the limiter for whatever reason.

These 3.7s are quite robust. Granted i ran her car on Amsoil with some decent cooling mods, i nearly had a heart attack at our last track day when my Fiance told me a few corners were giving her trouble when shifting, so she was basically just riding the whole back half of the track in 3rd gear around 6500-7000 rpms for several laps on end. Her motor seems to have survived, but ... not something i would recommend making a habit out of.
Point being, these are plenty strong motors, not that they're invincible from stupid driving, but kissing the rev limiter once or twice isnt going to kill it. You'd have to literally be doing this, you can hear the dude just sitting on the limiter:

Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
But in my 07 there was a neutral rev limiter that wouldn't allow you to rev past 4.5 I nelieve

Free revving with no load on the motor can lead to valve float. Most cars tend to have a lower neutral rev limiter.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Free revving with no load on the motor can lead to valve float. Most cars tend to have a lower neutral rev limiter.
My car was basically in neutral between 2nd and third. It kissed of the limiter around 5 or 6 times before I killed the motor. It was revving around 68-7k.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Ah I have missed your lessons my friend.

Excuse my ignorance but what is valve float? Not a term I have heard

Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
From Wikipedia...
"Valve float is an adverse condition which can occur at high engine speeds when the poppet valves in an internal combustion engine valvetrain do not properly follow the closure phase of the cam lobe profile. This reduces engine efficiency and performance and potentially increases engine emissions. There is also a significant risk of severe engine damage due to valve spring damage and/or pistons contacting the valves."

My 5.7L Hemi limits neutral RPM to 4000.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

^^ This. Basically when free revving, the engine is turning much faster (think acceleration, not overall speed) than it would if there were load on it. Its possible for the valves to actually leave the rockers - think of the rocker arm as a see-saw and you stomping one end, and something popping off the other - which can cause damage when it crashes back into the valve seat, or causes piston to valve contact. A rare issue, people rev in neutral all the time to show off their exhausts, but hitting the rev limiter in neutral is a slightly less good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Ah I have missed your lessons my friend.

Excuse my ignorance but what is valve float? Not a term I have heard

Lol, the fiance is a teacher so i took some time off for us to spend spring break together. I still pop in every once in a while to see whats going on though
Old 03-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So would you think I'm OK Volt?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah, wouldn't worry at all. It would be instant catastrophic failure.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Whew! Thanks bud.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
Kevin.Cook

When i floored my car from 0-100, it went to the redline before shifting to the next gear. Noticed 0 abnormal changes to the car. I guess this is how the tune acts on Autos when flooring it. And i only knew because on my Premium cluster, it flashes red when it redlines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Most tunes will go past the factory rev limiter, because the freer-flowing bolt ons in most cases will make power at higher RPMs. I'm assuming you mean it went past the physical "red line" on the dash?
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #25
Kevin.Cook

It hit 7k rpm before moving to the next gear. Since that is the start of the redline on these clusters, it flashed red for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang