Why the hate for Autos? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
curious as to what you all mean about 3rd gear being weird? I never noticed anything. I mean, shifting on the car in general feels clunky, but it's a tight clunky. I came from a 91 Nissan pickup then an 01 Nissan Frontier, and they had typical truck long throw stick shifts. the clutches sucked compared to how nice and tight this one is too. idk, I love the manual on this thing. feels nice.

then again, I've never owned an auto so idk. my family hasn't either. my parents are both 65 and 66 and still drive stick daily lol. my mom's got a 98 pathfinder, but it's rusting away, so I'm trying to get dad to look into a new Explorer. my brother and his wife have a 13 Explorer Sport and that thing is nice. so it'll be the first automatic my parents had in like, 27 years lol
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

It gets stuck on 3rd when u assume a smooth, crisp gear. So we ended up missing shifts

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 04:00 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
It gets stuck on 3rd when u assume a smooth, crisp gear. So we ended up missing shifts

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
sorry I still don't get it. hmm.

MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I don't hate on auto, I myself got one because it was the only Premium model I could find.

But, for the purpose of getting from A to B in S&G traffic like I'm currently in, auto is the better choice in my opinion.

This is going to be my DD for a couple of years, soon I'll get a manual GT to have fun on weekends with.

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The only benefit or experience you get from a manual is having complete control over shifting. I've had alot of fun in my auto, i get tons of compliments but never feel offended when someo check my car out only to then sigh when they see its an auto. But hey to each his own LoL

Black 2008 Decepticon GT "If it ain't hooking, it ain't booking" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:16 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
sorry I still don't get it. hmm.

When u punch it, the shift from first to seconds Is easy, smooth and crisp. But when u punch it again 2nd to 3rd, some times the gear will get "stuck" and you'll misshift. It won't get through, after some struggle it will.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
For me it was more of lock out. The problem is that under spirited shifting the shifter actually moves around because of the ****ty shifter bracket that Ford blessed us with. The result is a hit gate or lockout preventing you to go into 3rd gear.

Why the 2011-13 Mustang GT shifter is worthless: https://youtu.be/XynDGixQNhs

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
[QUOTE=elkoritaNAY;2199926]But when u punch it again 2nd to 3rd, some times the gear will get "stuck" and you'll misshift. It won't get through, after some struggle it will.
/QUOTE]

I occasionally do this and the reason it does it is because we're trying to shift diagonally from second to third, when in fact the path is a right 'dog leg'. The 'trick' to hitting third is to allow the gear stick to move 90° right as you push from second to third, and follow that dog leg. Allowing the stick to 'rest' mid-shift momentarily will move it back to the neutral position and from there it's a straight push forward.

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

If you were to take the extra time to allow this during a friendly race, at the track of coarse, you would have almost zero chance at beating an auto, no disrespect to us manual owners but it's just reality. The only way to have a chance at beating an auto is by either quick or power shifting making the bracket and or mgw necessary. I couldn't deal with it during hard pulls so the bracket was a must, a small investment that made a significant difference. Now lock out only happens about 5% of the time during quick/power shifting instead of 50% with the oem bracket. I still might upgrade to the mgw but the oem shifter seems to be pretty good now.
I find it funny how there are still manual drivers hating on autos.
But for some of the auto guys that say a manual can't shift as quickly as an auto.....

HOW TO: Power shift like a boss!: https://youtu.be/KHaVoSnzymQ

Old 03-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Of all 88,064 Mustangs of any model produced in 2012, 60.97% were automatics.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #116
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
If you were to take the extra time to allow this during a friendly race, at the track of coarse, you would have almost zero chance at beating an auto, no disrespect to us manual owners but it's just reality. The only way to have a chance at beating an auto is by either quick or power shifting making the bracket and or mgw necessary. I couldn't deal with it during hard pulls so the bracket was a must, a small investment that made a significant difference. Now lock out only happens about 5% of the time during quick/power shifting instead of 50% with the oem bracket. I still might upgrade to the mgw but the oem shifter seems to be pretty good now.
I find it funny how there are still manual drivers hating on autos.
But for some of the auto guys that say a manual can't shift as quickly as an auto.....

HOW TO: Power shift like a boss!: https://youtu.be/KHaVoSnzymQ

Dude go to that YouTube channel and watch their river fail videos. They are hilarious I love those guys

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Absolutely!!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #118
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Dude go to that YouTube channel and watch their river fail videos. They are hilarious I love those guys

Sorry *ricer

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Of all 88,064 Mustangs of any model produced in 2012, 60.97% were automatics.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

Oh great stat I guess manuals are still up there. I had read how manuals were a dying breed. I guess not in the mustang world.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post

Lmao, I just checked it out,
that's some funny ****.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
2014 MUSTANG V6 Coupe 61,480 out of that body style:

50,875 came with 6-Speed Select Shift Automatic Transmission.
7,685 came with Oxford White exterior paint color.
61,480 came with a 3.7L 4V TI-VCT V6 Engine.
10,107 came with the Comfort Package.
2,398 came with the rapid spec 203A.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
When u punch it, the shift from first to seconds Is easy, smooth and crisp. But when u punch it again 2nd to 3rd, some times the gear will get "stuck" and you'll misshift. It won't get through, after some struggle it will.

weird. i've never had this. i've ripped it before into 3rd, and i never missed the shift or grinded or anything. is there a video of this happening somewhere on youtube or something that i can see? i'm genuinely curious about it now
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 03-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #123
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Uh-O

In the video that Waylap 1 posted.
There is an Automatic on #6.
You can catch it if you watch and pay colse attention,

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

haha saw it, with the crying rage face graphic.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #125
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A little long but true story

This happened to one of my customers a few years ago.
He had a Corvette with a manual.
Stopped at a red light in Orlando.
A gentlemen of a nationality "I can't mention" stuck a gun in the Corvette owners window and told him to get out or be shot.
Corvette owner got out and the gentlemen got in.
The gentlemen set the gun on his lap and was stunned that it was a "STICK"
Corvette owner ( Who is also a Harley Biker guy) reached in and pulled the gentlemen out through the window and stomped the sh$t out of him.
Reached in and got the gun, took the gentlemen's wallet.
Stomped him again.
Got in the Corvette, drove home. Still amazed no one in any of the cars being held up at the light would come to his aid.
Found over $400.00 in the wallet along with DL and other items.
Got the gentleman's phone number and called him around midnight. Said he may or may not come to his house and shoot him with his own gun. Corvette guy said he kept calling off and on for a week until the phone was listed "Not in service"
The thing is this::: You don't mess with a 6 foot plus more biker driving a Corvette and if you can't drive a "STICK" do not be in the car hijacking business.
I still laugh when I think about this.
Ronnie
Old 03-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #126
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Heard a very similar incident regarding a Porsche, car jackers who can't drive manuals are just hilarious...
"You can fix stupid" - Ron White

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

A gentlemen of a nationality "I can't mention" stuck a gun in the Corvette owners window and told him to get out or be shot.

Corvette owner ( Who is also a Harley Biker guy) reached in and pulled the gentlemen out through the window and stomped the sh$t out of him.

Stomped him again.

Got in the Corvette, drove home. Still amazed no one in any of the cars being held up at the light would come to his aid.

Got the gentleman's phone number and called him around midnight. Said he may or may not come to his house and shoot him with his own gun. Corvette guy said he kept calling off and on for a week until the phone was listed "Not in service"

The thing is this::: You don't mess with a 6 foot plus more biker driving a Corvette and if you can't drive a "STICK" do not be in the car hijacking business.

Ronnie

The stick itself is a theft deterrent lol plus I have the club that locks brake and steering wheel.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Very true someone tried stealing my scion tc that was a manual; they hopped in stalled out then ran off, i just watched an laughed, although i used to install car stereo i had a buddy who had his stereo stolen twice, from the same parking lot so i hot glued broken pieces of box cutter blades to the back when i installed the third, he parked his truck in the same spot came back and there were bloody hand prints, a substantial amout of blood haha and a dent kicked into the door hahah, so from then on i do so for my own and others, people have tried to steal them since, never successfully

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
Very true someone tried steeling my scion tc that was a manual they hopped in stalled out then ran off, i just watched an laughed, although i used to install car stereo i had a buddy who had his stereo stolen twice, from the same parking lot so i hot glued broken pieces of box cutter blades to the back when i installed the third, he parked his truck in the same spot came back and there were bloody hand prints, a substantial amout of blood haha and a dent kicked into the door hahah, so from then on i do so for my own and others, people have tried to steal them since, never successfully

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

That is some harsh stuff right there lol I would hate to be that person. But hey, they shouldn't be stealing damn radios in the first place.

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I just like having an auto cause I'm lazy and don't feel like replacing the clutch or upgrading it

NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have a manual and I love it. the only way I would buy a mustang is if it was manual, I just love going through the gears. But I don't hate on the auto everyone has their own preference if I was going to be commuting everyday then I would buy an automatic

etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 AM   #132
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Heard a very similar incident regarding a Porsche, car jackers who can't drive manuals are just hilarious...
"You can fix stupid" - Ron White

Adventure till you drop
Another way to look at it:
Never argue with a stupid person; they will only take you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I had a blast doing weekend closed track rally racing with my 2011 automatic. I miss it, but soon hope to have a replacement Boss.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #133
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Stomped him again.
Ronnie
Say now Ronnie, didn't you used to own a Corvette? And a long time Harley rider? Maybe this person in the story....
Old 03-31-2015, 12:05 PM   #134
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No, It was not me

I did have a Corvette but mine would have been gone because it was an automatic transmission.
This was one of my customers and he was a big guy that should not have been screwed with.
When he told us about this I laughed so hard I think I did pee myself.
It keeps me laughing every time I think of it.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang