SYNC Update - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
SYNC Update

Saw this cruising the GT forums. Go check your SYNC account online for an update! New features include bluetooth reconnecting if you turn the car off with it so you don't have to say "bluetooth audio" every time you get back in. Also, song/artist info now displays on the radio!

It looks like someone was listening, as these were my main gripes with the system.

For install you need a USB thumb drive and about 10-20min. I started my car, went to install, took a drive to get breakfast, and it finished while I waited in line for my chicken minis.

Didn't see any notification from Ford or anything, just happened to see it on another forum and found my car had a pending update when I logged into the SYNC site.

BTW, being this is a Microsoft system, I have never been afraid of "bricking" a car until now,

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Mine already does those things. It was installed May of 2014
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Saw this cruising the GT forums. Go check your SYNC account online for an update! New features include bluetooth reconnecting if you turn the car off with it so you don't have to say "bluetooth audio" every time you get back in. Also, song/artist info now displays on the radio!

It looks like someone was listening, as these were my main gripes with the system.

For install you need a USB thumb drive and about 10-20min. I started my car, went to install, took a drive to get breakfast, and it finished while I waited in line for my chicken minis.

Didn't see any notification from Ford or anything, just happened to see it on another forum and found my car had a pending update when I logged into the SYNC site.

BTW, being this is a Microsoft system, I have never been afraid of "bricking" a car until now,
Sweet! Been waiting forever for them to update their crappy bluetooth system! Always had problems with it. Have the Song and Artist name display will be cool
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewGuy View Post
Mine already does those things. It was installed May of 2014
Yeah, it appears that it depends on what your previous versions are as to what updates work. When I finished I had to upload a file to Ford so they know what version I have now. Some people with different versions can't get this particular upgrade yet from what I'm reading. At least, it's not showing that it's available to them when they log into SYNC.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
This is the best news ive heard all day! I've been waiting for this update, I get so tired of saying "bluetooth audio" every time I get into my car.
austin3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1427818283738.png
Views:	275
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	178777sweet. I'll have to give it a go when i get home from work! hope it isn't a big update bc i don't think i have another USB stick laying around that isn't my music stick. ugh

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

It's like 100mb. But from what I read you need to have an empty stick and may as well go ahead and format it in FAT32 if it's not already.

I don't even have memory sticks sitting around any more, and none of the USB drives at work are powered so there's no need for them either. I actually had to go buy one and the smallest was 8GB. $8 Sandisk. There were bigger ones for more $$$, but this was fine. I just threw it in my "junk drawer" when I finished, you know that drawer that just has random stuff in it.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
How exactly do you do the update? I already downloaded it to a flash drive so from there do you just plug it into the center console and let it work its magic?
austin3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Can I do the update while driving home? It never mentions that you cannot operate your car while it updates, it just says you won't be able to use the media system.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Yeah, I started mine when it was in park and then went for a drive.

You'll want to select source and go to USB. Then go thru the menus and select install application. It'll then ask if you want to install and just keep hitting OK. There is an audio voice that tells you when the installation started. Just keep the car on while it installs. It will tell you when installation is complete. You will have to pair your phone again.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I started mine when it was in park and then went for a drive.

You'll want to select source and go to USB. Then go thru the menus and select install application. It'll then ask if you want to install and just keep hitting OK. There is an audio voice that tells you when the installation started. Just keep the car on while it installs. It will tell you when installation is complete. You will have to pair your phone again.

Thanks. Now I wait until I go home and find out if the update will screw up my car or give me features that I have been wanting for a long time!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Old 03-31-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

My radio acted funny for a few minutes after the update and then went back to normal. Full process takes about 10-15 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just completed myself. I actually have text displayed now for my music on my phone. Awesome. I haven't updated since I bought the car 2 years ago. Lol
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427827697.824360.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	178788
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Yup. And definitely liking how it reconnects on its own on the correct input.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Yeah, mine was apparently updated when it was built and then that was it. I have check before and never had updates available. Like I said, apparently it depends on the version you're switching from, it isn't just a universal update that everyone gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
This was the greatest mod I've done to the interior of my car yet!

Sent from my XT1064 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #17
Kevin.Cook

And its free!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
just did mine. the only difference i notice is bluetooth audio shows the name of the artist/song now, which is cool...

but the other issues it fixed..i never had issues with that. upon ignition, it would always startup again as USB, which is where it left off.

am i missing something? like, some of these fixes didn't present themselves as issues to me. idk.

what i don't get is why the hell they can't update it so the text scrolls AUTOMATICALLY! my cheap *** like $200 kenwood head unit in my old truck did this..the text was constantly scrolling if it was too long, so you could read it all. on this dumb system, they have a dedicated "text" button to scroll once. why!? just auto scroll damnit!
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

It will be on usb at startup if you had it at that. The issue was with bluetooth users. Because it would go back to usb each time.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Thanks for the heads-up! Will install in the next couple of days. Was really annoying having SYNC default back to USB at each startup.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
Just completed myself. I actually have text displayed now for my music on my phone. Awesome. I haven't updated since I bought the car 2 years ago. Lol
Attachment 178788
Love that song, lol
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Love that song, lol

The very first cd I ever bought. Those are the things we used to have music on after cassette tapes. Haha
Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The very first cd I ever bought. Those are the things we used to have music on after cassette tapes. Haha
lol! It is crazy how much the world has changed from the generation I grew up in (was born in '84, graduated high school in '02) and the kids about 10 years younger. Starbucks is now discontinuing CD sales at their cafes, since no one listens to music on CDs anymore. Well I do, from my massive CD collection, but even I haven't bought a CD since the latest Red Hot Chili Peppers album in 2011.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
lol! It is crazy how much the world has changed from the generation I grew up in (was born in '84, graduated high school in '02) and the kids about 10 years younger. Starbucks is now discontinuing CD sales at their cafes, since no one listens to music on CDs anymore. Well I do, from my massive CD collection, but even I haven't bought a CD since the latest Red Hot Chili Peppers album in 2011.

After reading this I feel even older now, even though I'm only a year older then you. Lol
Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

I'm only two years older (28) and I remember some old cassettes I had, lol.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I still have some! Lol, and done vinyl also.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're two years younger (I'm 30), but yeah even more impressive because I don't think I ever had any cassettes. Didn't get into music until around '95, by which time CDs had taken over.

P.S. I just put on my 311 collection (on mp3 haha) because I'm feeling nostalgic after seeing that on your sync.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I don't have sync, but ya'll are youngins. I'm 35 and remember all my old vinyl prior to cassette. We also had an olds cutlass with an 8 track.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #29

Region: Alabama
Good news, thanks for the heads up!

...now, if they would just fix that five seconds of silence before AND after a notification and maybe, oh, I don't know... Maybe just attenuate the music about 50%, give the notification, and return the audio to normal like every other car manufactorer that made an integrated stereo after about... 2001?
JROPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
I don't have sync, but ya'll are youngins. I'm 35 and remember all my old vinyl prior to cassette. We also had an olds cutlass with an 8 track.

Nice. I still remember going to my grandmas house when I was younger and had to use their rotary phone. I'm sure some people on here are like what the hell is that. Lol
Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Nice. I still remember going to my grandmas house when I was younger and had to use their rotary phone. I'm sure some people on here are like what the hell is that. Lol

Derailing but, try doing voicemail tech support in the late 90s and having people calling with rotary phones. My first cell phone was an attaché phone, you know the ones that came in a bag and weighed 2lbs.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

So it didn't work for me. I followed the steps and it said there are no files on the usb drive. Am i supposed to drag the auto install file along with the folder and regular install onto the flash drive? On the instructions it only showed install.xxx but my download came with install.xxx, auto install.xxx, and a folder named sync something. I guess i'll retry tomorrow.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
So it didn't work for me. I followed the steps and it said there are no files on the usb drive. Am i supposed to drag the auto install file along with the folder and regular install onto the flash drive? On the instructions it only showed install.xxx but my download came with install.xxx, auto install.xxx, and a folder named sync something. I guess i'll retry tomorrow.

I did mine without the auto install file and it worked that way.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did mine without the auto install file and it worked that way.
I wonder what i did wrong then?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
Wait...did you copy the "SyncMyRide" folder that's about 100MB. The *.lst files are just setup files or something...less than 1kB each.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang