Raxiom Puddle lamps / install and review - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Raxiom Puddle lamps / install and review

So i picked up a set of the Raxiom Puddle lamps for my mother's 5.0, and figured i'd do a little install / how to / and give my impressions of the product.

Raxiom Mustang Puddle Lamp Kit – Blue 3590-B-RAXIOM (13-14 All) - Free Shipping

So the raxiom instructions are, for the most part, pretty good. I really only struggled when it came to removing the glass from the mirror since i have never done this before. That particular task is the type where the first will take you an hour and the second will take you 5 minutes once you know what you are doing. So, my slight set back with not wanting to break the mirror included, this whole install took me just over an hour, and can be completed with really just some basic tools.

First step obviously is to remove the panel covering the bolts for the mirror. My dad got these nifty soft touch tools for christmas so i figured i'd give them a try. They're pretty nice and certainly worth having if you do interior work, but i've always just used the dull side of a butter knife if you dont have these.

So, basically a little pop pop and you're looking at this.

Raxiom will now tell you to use a socket wrench to remove these bolts, but i'll tell you now i really dont think thats an option...

Nothing a 7/16 or 11mm wrench cant fix though. Just make sure you're paying attention and dont drop the mirror ... that would be bad.

So once the mirror is removed from the car you move to really the only difficult part of the install: removing the glass. Raxiom's pictures are a blurry black and white and really dont give you much to go off of, so you're kind of just having to wing it. That, and i'm fairly certain the clips in the '13 5.0 were different than whatever they were using as an example... i could be completely wrong, but luckily the task is rather self explanatory so it can be figured out.

-- Raxiom advises you to start at the top, pushing the glass all the way down and removing the first clip, then carefully adjusting the glass to the top and removing the two lower. Every time i tried this, the clips would push back in when attempting to move to the lower clips. To get around this, i moved in a circle, and kept inserting small screwdrivers along the way to keep pressure off the tabs, and eventually it popped right off. Either that or it finally got tired of me cussing at it and gave up, either or.

Better pics of the clips for reference.

Next, they have you drill the hole for the light using an 11/16ths drill bit. Dont be an idiot like me and just assume your badass drill bit set comes with an 11/16ths bit ... it does not -_-. To avoid a trip to the auto parts store, i just used a 5/8" (10/16) speedbore bit and then dremeled out the rest and it was damn near perfect. Just plan ahead though ...

***EDIT: From the comment section, it appears a step bit is quite effective and can be had at a decent price.

The templates provided really do make this a brain dead task, there's no guess work involved. If you are capable of cutting out the template, you are capable of doing this.

So now comes the time to actually install the light. Basically there are 3 parts: An O-ring, the light itself, and a plastic collar / washer.

The light and o-ring obviously install on the outside, while the lock collar goes on the inside. Due to the limited space, i found it easier to hold the lock collar and spin the light during installation.

So that's that, now its just time to get it in the car.

Let it be known that i hate wiring. I can do it, but i hate almost everything about it, the limited space, the running them, tucking them, hoping to God the damn thing works when you're done and you dont have to try to trace down an electrical fault... This was easy, stupid easy. Wont say i enjoyed it lol, but easy nonetheless.

For starters i peeled back the factory electrical tape to expose a little more of the wire and give myself some more working room.

The little splicer clamps Raxiom provided can be done by hand with a decent bit of hand strength (i've been a drummer for 12 years ), but its not uncommon to have to use a small set of pliers. Just be careful, they only need to be tight enough to tap the circuit, if you go beast mode on them, it is possible to cut the wire, and then you better be decent with a soldering iron. The clips will give a solid *click* when they're tight, you will know.

installed and re-taped:

So really that's all there is to it, aside from putting the panels back on.

So i tried to get a few pics to show what the light is like, but the iphone really struggles with the lighting. The light does not quite make it to the ground, but it does make a pretty obvious presence against the side of the car. You can see it matches the brake lights in terms of "intensity," although obviously at much lower levels since it is a smaller light.

So, any questions, comments, concerns please feel free to ask, i'd love to answer them. I'm not one for cosmetics, i'm typically a bit more function > form, but i can say this is a neat little mod for the cost, something that will certainly grab people's attention, thats for sure.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I've already received compliments on mine. Definitely gives a bit more luxury look to it.

Mine paid for themselves when my girlfriend lost an earring in the parking lot and was able to light up the ground next to the car.

One thing I will say: step drill bit. A set was $10 at harbor freight and they made drilling the holes even more of a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Nice write up Volt, I've been looking into these for a little while now.

Wait, did you say your mother's 5.0?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Nice write up Volt, I've been looking into these for a little while now.

Wait, did you say your mother's 5.0?

Yup lol, its a stick too. Mom, fiance and (until recently) I all drive mustangs.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
Great job on the instructions volt👌

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Yup lol, its a stick too. Mom, fiance and (until recently) I all drive mustangs.
Coolest mom ever!

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I've already received compliments on mine. Definitely gives a bit more luxury look to it.

Mine paid for themselves when my girlfriend lost an earring in the parking lot and was able to light up the ground next to the car.

One thing I will say: step drill bit. A set was $10 at harbor freight and they made drilling the holes even more of a no-brainer.

I got a step drill from Home Depot and that was the only way I could find the "right size" drill. Great write up!
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

updated OP with notes about the step bit, seems to be a pretty effective and cheap method.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
So i picked up a set of the Raxiom Puddle lamps for my mother's 5.0, and figured i'd do a little install / how to / and give my impressions of the product.

Raxiom Mustang Puddle Lamp Kit – Blue 3590-B-RAXIOM (13-14 All) - Free Shipping

So the raxiom instructions are, for the most part, pretty good. I really only struggled when it came to removing the glass from the mirror since i have never done this before. That particular task is the type where the first will take you an hour and the second will take you 5 minutes once you know what you are doing. So, my slight set back with not wanting to break the mirror included, this whole install took me just over an hour, and can be completed with really just some basic tools.

First step obviously is to remove the panel covering the bolts for the mirror. My dad got these nifty soft touch tools for christmas so i figured i'd give them a try. They're pretty nice and certainly worth having if you do interior work, but i've always just used the dull side of a butter knife if you dont have these.

So, basically a little pop pop and you're looking at this.

Raxiom will now tell you to use a socket wrench to remove these bolts, but i'll tell you now i really dont think thats an option...

Nothing a 7/16 or 11mm wrench cant fix though. Just make sure you're paying attention and dont drop the mirror ... that would be bad.

So once the mirror is removed from the car you move to really the only difficult part of the install: removing the glass. Raxiom's pictures are a blurry black and white and really dont give you much to go off of, so you're kind of just having to wing it. That, and i'm fairly certain the clips in the '13 5.0 were different than whatever they were using as an example... i could be completely wrong, but luckily the task is rather self explanatory so it can be figured out.

-- Raxiom advises you to start at the top, pushing the glass all the way down and removing the first clip, then carefully adjusting the glass to the top and removing the two lower. Every time i tried this, the clips would push back in when attempting to move to the lower clips. To get around this, i moved in a circle, and kept inserting small screwdrivers along the way to keep pressure off the tabs, and eventually it popped right off. Either that or it finally got tired of me cussing at it and gave up, either or.

Better pics of the clips for reference.

Next, they have you drill the hole for the light using an 11/16ths drill bit. Dont be an idiot like me and just assume your badass drill bit set comes with an 11/16ths bit ... it does not -_-. To avoid a trip to the auto parts store, i just used a 5/8" (10/16) speedbore bit and then dremeled out the rest and it was damn near perfect. Just plan ahead though ...

***EDIT: From the comment section, it appears a step bit is quite effective and can be had at a decent price.

The templates provided really do make this a brain dead task, there's no guess work involved. If you are capable of cutting out the template, you are capable of doing this.

So now comes the time to actually install the light. Basically there are 3 parts: An O-ring, the light itself, and a plastic collar / washer.

The light and o-ring obviously install on the outside, while the lock collar goes on the inside. Due to the limited space, i found it easier to hold the lock collar and spin the light during installation.

So that's that, now its just time to get it in the car.

Let it be known that i hate wiring. I can do it, but i hate almost everything about it, the limited space, the running them, tucking them, hoping to God the damn thing works when you're done and you dont have to try to trace down an electrical fault... This was easy, stupid easy. Wont say i enjoyed it lol, but easy nonetheless.

For starters i peeled back the factory electrical tape to expose a little more of the wire and give myself some more working room.

The little splicer clamps Raxiom provided can be done by hand with a decent bit of hand strength (i've been a drummer for 12 years ), but its not uncommon to have to use a small set of pliers. Just be careful, they only need to be tight enough to tap the circuit, if you go beast mode on them, it is possible to cut the wire, and then you better be decent with a soldering iron. The clips will give a solid *click* when they're tight, you will know.

installed and re-taped:

So really that's all there is to it, aside from putting the panels back on.

So i tried to get a few pics to show what the light is like, but the iphone really struggles with the lighting. The light does not quite make it to the ground, but it does make a pretty obvious presence against the side of the car. You can see it matches the brake lights in terms of "intensity," although obviously at much lower levels since it is a smaller light.

So, any questions, comments, concerns please feel free to ask, i'd love to answer them. I'm not one for cosmetics, i'm typically a bit more function > form, but i can say this is a neat little mod for the cost, something that will certainly grab people's attention, thats for sure.
Hey Volt,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up and I'm glad that you are loving the Raxiom Puddle Lights!

They look great on your mom's 5.0!

It must be awesome to live in a Mustang family like that

If you ever need anything, feel free to reach out!

-Will
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Is there any reason why these couldn't be installed further out so that the light actually hits the floor?

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

I believe the mirror motor is in the way. I find my white lights hit the ground plenty to see what's there.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
I believe the mirror motor is in the way.

Hmmmm, I wonder how Ford do it then? Lower profile back of unit?

Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

I wish they would make little caps to go over them so we can replicate the pony puddle light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Raxiom Puddle lamps / install and review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
Hmmmm, I wonder how Ford do it then? Lower profile back of unit?

Fords sit flush and are angled in the mirror outward.

I have the raxioms but couldn't get over the way they hang down under the mirror. I ended up getting some MMD retro mirrors so I don't have them installed anymore.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Fords sit flush and are angled in the mirror outward.

I have the raxioms but couldn't get over the way they hang down under the mirror. I ended up getting some MMD retro mirrors so I don't have them installed anymore.

Like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1428084049.694846.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	178980
Old 04-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
Is there any reason why these couldn't be installed further out so that the light actually hits the floor?

Whoops, sorry i missed these. As was mentioned, the light really can only be positioned where it is due to the mirror motor.

Quote:
I believe the mirror motor is in the way. I find my white lights hit the ground plenty to see what's there.

Maybe the white is just a better (color) choice than the red, or we live in a very well lit area, so the red just doesnt quite work. Red is at the very bottom of the visible spectrum lol, we'll go with that.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

I did this too. For 50.00 I don't think its worth it. I hate how you can see the lights under the mirror as well... Knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it again. Not enough of the light hits the ground.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I did this too. For 50.00 I don't think its worth it. I hate how you can see the lights under the mirror as well... Knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it again. Not enough of the light hits the ground.
Don't know what you have but apparently the white lights are recommended for best illumination.
I have the factory pony but it doesn't illuminate much at all. More of a novelty I think.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Don't know what you have but apparently the white lights are recommended for best illumination.
I have the factory pony but it doesn't illuminate much at all. More of a novelty I think.
I have the white. Don't get wrong it does look nice and gives off some decent light...at 20-30.00 worth it. 50.00 not really.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I have the white. Don't get wrong it does look nice and gives off some decent light...at 20-30.00 worth it. 50.00 not really.
Not counting your labor!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #21

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWill View Post
Hey Volt,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up and I'm glad that you are loving the Raxiom Puddle Lights!

They look great on your mom's 5.0!

It must be awesome to live in a Mustang family like that

If you ever need anything, feel free to reach out!

-Will
Does anyone know where I can get a template for the axiom puddle lights? I have to replace my mirror and need the template.

Thanks
snowgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

^ just take your old mirror and a piece of paper and make yourself a new template. It's going to be easier than trying to track one down.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 05-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

You could also probably message one of the AM reps on here and have them send you a new one in PDF file I would imagine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang