Adventures in hood strut installation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Adventures in hood strut installation

My hood struts came today. I couldn't wait to get them installed. For the most part the installation was easy, but that does not take my ineptness into account. I get them all put on and I notice the thick part of the shock is supposed to be on the top. So I take both shocks off and flip them over. Then I went to close the hood. It wouldn't quite close, so I look under it carefully to see what is stopping it. It turns out the braces on the hood go with the channel on the INSIDE of the hood. So now I have to swap those. I took one off and tightened the hinge bolts down, took it to the other side, replaced the other one with it, came back to the first side in installed the one I just took off the other side. While undoing the strut shock the little retainer pin made a daring escape never to be seen again. It is rather hard to get those shocks off the ball joint they attach to so I think it will be OK until I can get a replacement part.

All in all doing this installation basically 3 times took me right at 2 hours. It is nice now, the hood is light as a feather and stays open quite a bit wider than the prop held it.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I just got off the phone with American Muscle. They are sending me a new clip and not charging me for it. I am impressed.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang