Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Caliper Covers

4K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  VIG 
#1 ·
I am considering ordering caliper covers for my 14 Convertible. Do they really decrease brake dust from the rims?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
Not sure if they really decrease the amount of brake dust or not. Where were you thinking about buying them? I want some because the stock brakes look ugly but my friend already has the red ones from American Muscle. I haven't discovered any other options that are different.

#3 ·
IMO, they definitely do. Plus they look a ton better then the stock ones painted or not. That's just my opinion though. Here are a few pics of mine that might help your decision.
Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Rim Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Rim
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Disc brake
Auto part Vehicle brake Disc brake Wheel Brake
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Car

2013 Race Red V6 Premium. 35% window tint, racing stripes, Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, MMD taillight trim, MMD Classic louvers, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights, Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks, Airaid CAI, upper and lower black modern billet grilles, MGP caliper covers, Ford Boss302 strut tower brace, 19" staggered black Axim MMD wheels with Pirelli tires.

#4 ·
I'll find the link when I'm not in my phone. You can have them in a wide array of colors and logos. I'm trying to decide between yellow and black...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Do they also make your brake less effective by restricting heat dissipation?

#7 ·
We actually already had a thread or on this already it doesn't reduce brake dust just blocks it from getting on your rims, i personally love it my rims are much much cleaner now

There is evidence it works like a heatsink although id say its minimal amd i doubt you see that kind of abuse to make it worth while

#10 ·
black would look good with red.. but with the stock alloy rims? idk. my rims aren't black so idk how well it would contrast.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

#13 ·
I painted my calipers on my old Ford Focus. They looked amazing for a few months, then cracked and peeled and looked horrible. I took my time and put plenty of layers on, too. I figured caliper covers would hold up better. Or, I guess I could always have a custom shop paint them for me for a little more...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#15 ·
i can understand doing caliper covers from a functional standpoint if it really keeps the dust off, but i just cant get over how ... cheesy they look. I'm guilty of having a set on my old 3.8, and just wasn't feeling it. Paint does fade, but i have a spare set of calipers for sale if someone just wants to get theirs powdercoated:

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f356/t362047/

#19 ·
I honestly think stock calipers that are painted look ugly as hell. To each his own, but why would you want to bring notice to plain Jane ugly calipers? I think the metal covers look great if they are a solid color without the fake bolts an lettering. I have a black car with charcoal rims and probably will get a pair powered coated charcoal or satin black to kind of hide behind the wheels. It will look nicer than rusty stock calipers, but not really noticeable to people who aren't looking. Again, its just my opinion.

#22 ·
i wish these things weren't so damn expesnive.

#23 ·
They have the market cornered - MGP could charge whatever they want and still sell them because they are the only ones to make them so far. Sure there are those eBay glue-on specials, but you want to talk about cheesy??? I've been fighting the urge to get some of these for a long time now because the experiences I've had with caliper paint have been pretty disappointing. Two cars I've owned I painted the calipers using the same exact kit. One held up rather good despite getting a bit chalky. The other started to peel and bubble the second I hit them with brake cleaner. I did the same exact prep on both vehicles too. Besides, the way the stock calipers are designed (2 pc vs monoblock) anyone with even very little automotive experience can tell they were painted. There's this Civic I see nearly every day and it reminds me WHY I don't want to paint em. To each his own but with stock calipers they just look rice imo.

2014 Sterling Grey FP6 w/ Tech package
Current Mods: Gibson exhaust; MMD hood scoop and side scoops; Tinted head lights, tail lights and all reflectors.

#26 ·
It's been a while since I have read the instructions on one of those but I'm nearly positive they warn you not to use certain chemicals on those paints. Just saying. Back when I was on my 5th civic si and felt the brakes were so far down the line of mods I would just paint them. The coat lasted for 1.5 years till I sold the car. I think things like power blasting them will also take some off fyi.
Either way, paint or covers, they're just as tacky.

#31 ·
I personally think caliper covers look out of place, cheap, and don't flow at all with the car :( I used to really want them at first. Then I saw them on a car in person and never wanted to see them again lol.

Seems like that's just me though

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#34 ·
black over red? idk. i think the red would look badass on my black stang. i really want them though. the other day i saw a silver v6 premium just like mine with the same rims, and he had the red ones..looked great on his car. i don't think red looks ricey whatsoever. i never see ricers with caliper covers around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.