3.31 gears info? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnysantoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: clifton
Region: Virginia
Posts: 21
3.31 gears info?

I am trying to find my new mod to make my stang better so im going with the gears and a tuner. I am not sure which gears to get, the 3.31 or the 3.55. I commute to college and drive to work every day, live near DC so traffic is a big factor. could someone give me some insight please?
vinnysantoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-05-2015, 01:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Manual or auto? I would go for 3.55s personally. What size tire also

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
vinnysantoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: clifton
Region: Virginia
Posts: 21
V6 manual and 18x10 wheels


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
vinnysantoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-05-2015, 01:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular
 
natestang07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Soap Lake
Region: Washington
Posts: 5,321
Between the options you listed 3.55

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:11 AM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3
I have an auto with 3.31 and I find myself wanting more gear. Personally I think the 3.55 would be perfect for a daily driver

Sent from my XT907 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
pds861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Rockville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 209
I went with 3.31 and love it. The RPM is about 2k when you cruise at 70 MPH on 6th gear. Just perfect.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
TedG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida/Ohio
Region: Florida
Posts: 227
3.73


You might as well get them now. .. you'll want them later.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
sticks123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bourbonnais
Region: Illinois
Posts: 518
I recently changed to 3.73, but I will withhold my comments....they may confuse you!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
derklink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Saint Louis
Region: Missouri
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds861 View Post
I have an auto with 3.31 and I find myself wanting more gear. Personally I think the 3.55 would be perfect for a daily driver

Sent from my XT907 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Absolutely agree! Same here
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sterling S197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Strafford
Region: Missouri
Posts: 99
How many RPM can you tolerate at cruising speed? I have the stock 3.31 (Performance Package) and as Liv4spd pointed out, it runs just over 2k (2100) at 70. My math says that with the same tires, 3.55 = 2250 RPM @ 70, and 3.73 = 2366 RPM... hopefully the guys with those gears can confirm or correct my math. I don't know how fast you like to cruise, but at 100 MPH (just for a nice round number - not that I would run that fast) those RPM's go to 3000, 3200 & 3400 respectively. Take your car out, shift to a lower gear and cruise at your target RPM... see how it feels. It's worth doing a little experimenting so you can live with the new gears on your commutes, as well as through the 1/4 mile.
__________________
- Sterling S197 (aka Magnetic S550)
Sterling S197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Harm_3.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Yuba City
Region: California
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
How many RPM can you tolerate at cruising speed? I have the stock 3.31 (Performance Package) and as Liv4spd pointed out, it runs just over 2k (2100) at 70. My math says that with the same tires, 3.55 = 2250 RPM @ 70, and 3.73 = 2366 RPM... hopefully the guys with those gears can confirm or correct my math. I don't know how fast you like to cruise, but at 100 MPH (just for a nice round number - not that I would run that fast) those RPM's go to 3000, 3200 & 3400 respectively. Take your car out, shift to a lower gear and cruise at your target RPM... see how it feels. It's worth doing a little experimenting so you can live with the new gears on your commutes, as well as through the 1/4 mile.

At 70 with 3.73s I'm at 2300 rpm and 80 it's around 2600ish. Hope that's helps.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
sticks123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bourbonnais
Region: Illinois
Posts: 518
DD....3.31. Mines a toy 3.73 are really fun (great hole shot), little much on the interstate. 2 lane road cruising at 65 is fun. At 80 I'm hitting 2500 rpms...other posts acknowledge gas mileage dips on the 3.73's from 65 to 70 mph considerably. Again mines a toy not transportation!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Speed vs RPM Calculator

Here's an excellent little calc table that makes it easy to calculate RPM at a selected speed.
Speedometer, Gear Ratio, and Tire Size Calculator

Notes:
When using the Tire Circumference Calculator be sure to enter the tire ratio as a 2 digit number with no decimal points.
When using the speed calculator...
6th Gear Ratio in a manual trans. = 0.7
6th Gear Ratio in an auto trans.= 0.69
When looking for RPM at a specific speed simply try different RPMs until you get the speed you're looking for.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Catonsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 690
Have 3.55 on my MT82 equipped V6. Perfect all round gear for mpg & fun. Runs about 100-110rpm lower than 3.73's when it comes to highway speed. The reality is you're giving up probably 1.5-3mpg over the 2.73's at 70+ mph depending if you go 3.55 or 3.73, but it's completely worth it IMO.
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,020
If I was gonna switch from the 3.31 mine came with I'd go 3.55 or 3.73. I've driven both 2.73 and the 3.31 and the difference is big but I would go bigger.
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
paintmann111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New London
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 549
I wonder if someone with 3.55's will let me test there car out on the spring cruise, or at least ride in it for a bit. I want to see/feel the difference in person before I drop the cash on gears. It is really something you should feel in person before jumping into them.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
3.31 gears info?

My Base Stang with 3:31 option runs 1750 @ 60 mph, 2000rpm @ 70mph and 2250 @ 80... I'm gonna have to guess its 2500 @ 90. Too much traffic today to find out. 17" tires btw and automatic.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
My Base Stang with 3:31 option runs 1750 @ 60 mph, 2000rpm @ 70mph and 2250 @ 80... I'm gonna have to guess its 2500 @ 90. Too much traffic today to find out. 17" tires btw and automatic.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
I know this is an old post but just noticed it.
Based on your first 3 "RPM vs speed" tests you shouldn't have to guess. However, those 3 test were obviously slightly off, in that they don't agree exactly with each other. If a ratio is set between those results to what the RPM should be at 90mph, it comes out to 2531RPM, 2571RPM or 2625RPM.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I know this is an old post but just noticed it.

Based on your first 3 "RPM vs speed" tests you shouldn't have to guess. However, those 3 test were obviously slightly off, in that they don't agree exactly with each other. If a ratio is set between those results to what the RPM should be at 90mph, it comes out to 2531RPM, 2571RPM or 2625RPM.

Well sorry I don't have a digital tach. Can only tell you what the needle is sitting on. Speedometer matches the GPS on my phone.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,447
do you have a tuner? Just datalog and compare speed and rpm more accurately.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Well sorry I don't have a digital tach. Can only tell you what the needle is sitting on. Speedometer matches the GPS on my phone.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
I wasn't criticizing, just trying to explain why the 3 different answers.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #22
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I wasn't criticizing, just trying to explain why the 3 different answers.
don't explain yourself. Just put out there "cuz racecar!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
don't explain yourself. Just put out there "cuz racecar!"
Thanks for that Kevin...just learned what that means by looking it up.
Constantly learning stuff on this forum. LOL
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:55 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I wasn't criticizing, just trying to explain why the 3 different answers.

Forgive me I just don't understand why they were "obviously slightly off". All I have to go by is what the tach said at those given speeds. I also don't understand you having 3 different answers for 90 mph. Color me stupid.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Forgive me I just don't understand why they were "obviously slightly off". All I have to go by is what the tach said at those given speeds. I also don't understand you having 3 different answers for 90 mph. Color me stupid.


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Sorry...I guess it wasn't obvious except to me at the time because I looked at the relationship of the change. Theoretically, if you increase the rpm by a given % then the speed should go up by that same %. (To a point.)
There's a calculator that figures it out for you if you know your tire size, your rear gears(3.31 in your case), and the transmission gear(0.69 for the automatic in 6th gear).

In my case for 255/40-19 tires with 3.31 gears, in 6th gear, it gives me an answer of 61.6 MPH

Speedometer, Gear Ratio, and Tire Size Calculator
Looks like this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPM Calc.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	186255
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Sorry...I guess it wasn't obvious except to me at the time because I looked at the relationship of the change. Theoretically, if you increase the rpm by a given % then the speed should go up by that same %. (To a point.)

There's a calculator that figures it out for you if you know your tire size, your rear gears(3.31 in your case), and the transmission gear(0.69 for the automatic in 6th gear).



In my case for 255/40-19 tires with 3.31 gears, in 6th gear, it gives me an answer of 61.6 MPH



Speedometer, Gear Ratio, and Tire Size Calculator

Looks like this...

Attachment 186255

Thanks

2458.3. @ 90 mph

Can one really tell the difference on an analog tach?

I'm going to be all screwed up when I put 225/60/17's on my new 8"wide rims, lol
No I don't have a tuner. But warranty is up at 60 mos right?
Tires might last me that long as I'm at 40 mos and less than 21000 miles


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4:10 gears vs 4:30 gears SwatKatz901 1996-2004 Mustang GT 5 03-24-2012 04:17 PM
3:55 Gears vs 3:73 gears 06Blue 2005-2010 Mustang GT 19 01-04-2012 07:57 PM
NEED HELP WITH GEARS!! Motive 4.10 gears? Cant find ford racing? Camaro Eater Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 06-23-2010 11:57 AM
More info on gears,t-loc, fordchip EcalevolBK Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 9 08-05-2003 12:54 AM
Factory Gears Vs. Racing Gears tire Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 0 07-21-2003 05:02 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:50 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.