Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2012 Manual V6 Transmission Grinding- is this happening to you?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ridge_runner91 
#1 ·
Hey guys, have an issue. My 2012 grinds in 5th and 6th gear. It is worse when it is cold, but even now (~50°F) it grinds. Now to be clear, shifting gently it doesn't do this. But if the lever is pressed against side (to the right), then it grinds.

My Hondas I've had with 3-5 times the mileage never have this issue. So start the car up, driving, shift from 5 to 6, and it grinds, and down from 6 to 5, it grinds. When it was absolutely frigid out, it was much worse- happening in other gears, like 2 and 3.

I took it to the Ford dealership about a month back, and they said it wasn't an issue. They had to be aggressive and make it do it. Allegedly they put in a message to Ford, and Ford said to compare it to another 12 manual to see if it's normal. The dealership said they can't, because they don't have one.

I have this burning desire to kick someone in the teeth, but obviously I can't act on that. So my next step is to call Ford, next Saturday.

Has anyone experienced this, or have any knowledge of the situation? I appreciate any help or advice I have had. I am still well within my 50k warranty, and have the extended warranty, but I would like to get it done sooner. The dealer said several times "oh, don't worry, you have plenty of time" and to drive it the way it is. FYI, this has been going on since I had it. I thought I was grinding those gears myself, but driving, putting the clutch in so my butt is off the seat, shifting, I would hear the grind.

I also don't mind people chiming in on fixes, as after this is done and fixed, I will be doing some of the fixes posted here that stop this from happening in the first place. I have read about them, but not written out a game plan as I am still trying to get the transmission to where it should be.

Thank you in advance, everyone.

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

See less See more
#2 ·
I personally would take it to a different dealer and demand the problems solved. Your not only ruining the gears you have but the longer you drive on it the more damage u cause that may be missed if they overhaul it. They may overhaul it or they may toss in a brand new factory trans I'm not sure. I've seen it go both ways but to me it sounds like your syncronizzers (idk how to spell that) went out and that's causing the grinding. If they do overhaul it instead of a new swap then I would demand to see all of the old gears even replaced. Not just pictures but demand to physically see them just to put your mind at ease.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 ·
I've had similar issues with my 2014 since day 1. I have been through several dealerships (of the 18 months I have owned the car, over 2 of those months the car has been in for service on these issues), I have been in contact with Ford corporate and have gotten nothing besides, "It's normal", "it's a known issue and there is no fix" or "it's been abused and will not be fixed."

Ford already has your money, they aren't going to waste the resources on an issue that has no permanent solution until something catastrophic happens and makes the car no longer functional.

#4 ·
I would say check with your states lemon law if it has been looked at that many times. I believe where I live it's three times for the same issue u can start a lemon law claim. Usually at first mention of lemon law to ford or gm they get serious and take care of you asap. But that's only if your lemon law case will actually float. If your just say u will throw out lemon law and it wouldn't meet the states criteria than they will just laugh you out the door. Know your rites before you use it and it will help you wonders.

#5 ·
Is the engine still not up to temp when it happens? I have a 2012 as well and I after I drive about a mile, the transmission/ fluid is warm enough and I don't have any issues. Mine is mostly 2nd and 3rd though but have grinded 5th when being a little too aggressive.

#6 · (Edited)
The problem with the MT 82 transmission is that it is made in China. Ford has Gertag, a German company make these and this has been an ongoing problem with Ford. The trannys in the Shelby's were made by Tremec. The 5 speed in my 2007 was made by Tremec and I have had no issues. I wrote the President of Ford about this when I found out they we sticking the Chi-Com trannys in the All American Mustang but no reply. You just need to stay on Ford until they get it right. There have been numerous issues with the MT 82.

#7 ·
So basically I need to call, and start making a paper trail, and keep at it. If anyone else has experience with this, all the chiming in is appreciated. I think its expired, but I will have to look into the Lemon Law stuff. I think I am past the time frame.

Sent from my XT1094 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
I have a beater Saturn ion I drive back and forth to work (long commute). When I first go it I noticed that when slamming gears it would almost always grind going from second to third gear. I've got about 115k on it now and can't get into third gear at all anymore without it grinding.

I just skip third gear now...... it would cost more to fix the synchronizer than what the car is actually worth, so I'll continue to drive it like i stole it until the day it dies.

I know we are talking about a different car here but there's not a doubt in my mind that it will get worse. I agree with the others that this needs to be addressed sooner than later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.