Mustang Evolution Forum banner

To turbo or procharge, that is the question.

4K views 93 replies 17 participants last post by  alrefire 
#1 ·
Hey guys so on my 3.7 I wanted to get in the 400's horsepower, enough to smoke a GT. I know AM sells a procharge kit for 5.5k but is there anywhere selling a turbo a different setup? I already have a cervini hood and Roush exhaust on it so clearance and exhaust are no issue.

#3 ·
I knew MPT was working on a turbo kit for our 3.7's but I do not know when it will be offered for sale.

#6 ·
Buy my turbo kit ;)
Fully upgraded lpf kit minus injectors and heat blanket.
Missing 2 brass fittings and 1 clamp.
PM me for my phone number and details ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Selling because im going twin turbo with a built motor and custom intake and fuel system, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#9 ·
LPF turbo is the way to go.
or turbo in general.

More efficient and supposed to work better with the auto transmissions.
One day I plan to turbo my 3.7, just need to finish school first and make some real $$$ haha

You can get the LPF kit/diablo tuner/ and have it installed for right around 6k.
Not too bad, especially since the kit on low boost will roast stock GTs

#11 ·
Or you can get a plate nitrous system pretty cheap compared to the procharger and turbo kits

It will put a lot of pep in your step too! But kinda cool cause its not all the time, "on demand" just when you want to use it

#15 ·
It could be argued you need a good dyno tune for all 3. The turbo is honestly the only one i would trust to remote tune after having done a couple myself. Full disclosure however, i have not remote tuned a SC or nitrous, so i may be wrong in thinking that.

#16 ·
Remote tune on nitrous cam be done. It usually takes longer though. As they are going to pull a lot of timing your first few runs. That being said, Dyno tune is the only way I would go for nitrous. Thay way it can be seen right there. Vs having to wait till tuner gets the logs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#23 ·
Anyone can make a 5.0 fast, how many people do you know with a turbo'd six banger holding its own against other cars?

To me it would be about the uniqueness of it.

Sent from my iPhone

#26 ·
Moot question, someone will always be faster. If you do just the basic "on paper" math, a 100 shot will take an otherwise stock 3.7 to ~ stock GT levels. A 150 shot will take it to around bolt on GT levels, so ... depends on how frisky you're feeling.

Anyone can make a 5.0 fast, how many people do you know with a turbo'd six banger holding its own against other cars?

To me it would be about the uniqueness of it.

Sent from my iPhone
For the money spent, some people want to do more than just "keep up." If someone wants a turbo because they want a turbo thats fine, but dont go in with the intention of being the top dog, or you'll be nothing but disappointed.

Anyone can make a 5.0 fast because they are fast.

#29 · (Edited)
Nelly the reason turbo is because of how much more torque you get with it and starting at a lower rpms then a procharger.

Unless you get lucky and find a deal like I did (turbo kit 95% complete) and know how to finish it or if you can fab your own turbo kit. If not, then your looking at spending around $5k-$6k for a quality kit.

I'll have around $3.5K-$4K in mine when said and done using quality parts like Tial, Borg Warner S256 extended tip, etc., etc., but again I got a great deal on an unfinished kit.

(Alrefire) Hasan's turbo kit he's selling (post above) is a steal as he doesn't really have any time on the kit before a bad tune blew his engine (2-4 months maybe), it has all the bells/whistles and it would cost you over $5k for what he's selling if you bought it from LPF right now.

#30 ·
Another vote for turbo!! As rapinator said, you're going to have more disappointment than victories if you're planning on smoking a 5.0 just with a procharger. About 80% of 5.0s that I know about are tuned, and/or have bolt ons.. Aka bad mofos on road. Voltwings has raced pro charged 3.7 vs his 5.0, ask him who won.

3.7 is a super cheap platform to make good power.. If you're doing it right. At the same time you also need to think how long you're going to keep your car. Dumping in $6k for a decent kit + another $4k in supporting parts and labor is quite a hefty amount.. Which wouldn't add to your car's re-sale value.

Nitrous will all/most of the supporting mods (for safety n such) will run you close to $2000-2500. Another cheap power adder.

Just my $0.2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.