Mustang Evolution Forum banner

American Muscle Tail Light Tint, 4 months in...

5K views 94 replies 22 participants last post by  2011 Kona Blue 
#1 ·
anyone else have the taillight tint and notice how crappy it's holding up? i mean, i figured maybe a tiny bit of scratching or something on the vinyl, but i put these on around christmas, and now in april, they're scratched to all hell, bubbles are forming, and when i go to push the bubbles out, the vinyl scratches real bad, and there's gashes all over it. my 3rd brakelight tint looks the worst of all of them. random vertical bubbles that were never there before, and when i push them out, the bubbles gash the vinyl and now theres big chunks of ugly looking gashes in it, and to top it off, the bubbles come back exactly where they were within a day!

this is pretty bad...i was wondering if anyone else had this experience. the blacking out looks so good, but damn, if it's gonna look all ghetto and cut like this does, i might as well rip them off and just say i wasted over $50 on this. ugh.

#2 ·
Calm down and take a Xanax and a beer. Then take some pictures and send an email to the AM with a copy of your invoice after you have spoken with someone. They also have guys who patrol the forums.

#3 ·
lol i'm calm, it's just i didn't expect a product like this was gonna be a throwaway where you have to replace it every 6 months or so.

the vinyl rear window blackouts are amazing and look as perfect as they did day 1. no bubbles, no scratches, nothing. i assumed the tail light ones were going to be the same.

#4 ·
hey jayochs - Sorry to hear about that - Can you post up a picture here so we can take a look? I'm more than happy to have these replaced for you free if charge if you'd like! I know from personal experience (here along with working for a high end detailer) that over time the material can contract and expand with exposure to temperatures but from what you're describing (gashes and scratches) curiosity killed the cat and I'd like to take a look!

Post some up and then shoot me a PM with your order info and I'll get you setup! :thumb:

Alex

#5 ·
hey alex. here's a few pics. even after using the provided little squeegee thing wrapped in a microfiber cloth when everything is wet, pushing the bubbles out still created gashes in the material and scratches on it as well. is it common for these to have to be replaced often? :(

#8 ·
when i got these, there was only 1 protective layer, which was the bottom part that sticks towards the light. there was no top protective layer. i know because when i got my 3rd brake light tint, it came from AM all scratched and gashed up and they replaced it for me. i played around with it looking for a top layer of protection but there wasn't any.....

i'd feel pretty dumb if that were the case though lol :hide:

#13 ·
i don't want to touch anything now bc if its not a protective film, then i'm going to end up peeling up an edge and it'll look even worse.

maybe alex can weigh in. is there a protective film or no? i'll go search my closet for that damaged tint i got, but i'm pretty sure i threw it out..

#15 ·
The one on your third brake light is peeling just peel it off
ughhh i don't want to yet lol it'll look bad mismatched without it. getting dark out now anyway.

#25 · (Edited)
Yeah, it's definitely the top protective layer. Peel that layer off and they will look great!!! I had the same issue until I realized that was the issue. Just remember worse case, I'm sure AM will take care of you. I'm with the others, I'm like 99.9% sure it's just the top layer needing peeled off!

#26 ·
man I swear these things had no protective covering on the outside. seriously. wtf. and lol about the pick guard plastic... that makes me laugh too. speaking of which, just ordered me a new guitar tonight! woo

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

#28 ·
hahaha nah. it's dark out!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.