Mustang Evolution Forum banner

First Oil Change Dealer Issues

3K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  Ubnbit 
#1 · (Edited)
Buying location: Delray Beach, FL - 75 miles from home

So I bought my 14 mustang V6 in July of last year and was advised a free first oil change covered by Ford. Sounds pretty standard; a common courtesy from the manufacturer on a new car off the lot... but when I drove up to a local Ford dealer in my area (far from the original purchasing dealer), they stated I would have to go to the dealership where the car was purchased to redeem the first free oil change. Now I thought that was a bunch of crap and to be frank I reluctantly left trying to talk to the service manager back and forth. At that time I had 4000 miles on the car and decided to do some research. After the headache, I purchased 6 qts of Royal Purple 5w20 with the proprietary filter for the car and now have almost 7000 miles. I feel like stirring up a beehive but at the same time, might as well bite the bullet and just change the oil myself. Still, its upsetting that a recognized Ford dealership will not honor a new car (at that time) for incentives. Posting this in case someone wants to drive up somewhere for a 'used', "good deal" but walks out with a new stang.

#2 ·
I think that's pretty typical. The selling dealership does the free oil change.

But why not do it yourself? You'll almost certainly have a better result doing it yourself than having some stealership kid monkey with your car.

The Motorcraft filter is about $5 at my local parts store; you can get a better Mobil1 filter (that is longer) for about $12.

#3 ·
I have all the parts to do the change, but its is just crappy that dealaerships won't uphold a standard.

#4 ·
What's the reasoning for changing the oil so often? I visually check mine every 2 weeks and change it when the oil life indicator reaches 10%.

Sent from the Death Star.

#5 · (Edited)
What made you buy your Mustang at that dealership? Most likely it was a better price/trade in/deal you got from that of your local dealer. So why would you expect your local dealership to honor a free oil change from another, when you did not buy from them?

It's not a Ford thing (free oil change); its a dealer offering.

Dealerships often provide these additional "small" offerings in hopes that they get your repeat business. It's really not fair to expect another dealership to have to honor that as well.

#10 ·
Not all dealers are connected. I had 2 years free oil changes back in colorado and I knew I was going to lose them when I moved to AZ.

The fact you raised hell at a dealer, that is in no way responsible for your free oil change, is absurd. I hope you feel bad and know that those service folks are making fun of you and will tell stories about you for days.

If you want the free oil change, you go where you bought the car.

I guess that's one of the good things about national chains like Autonation, my wife has free oil changes for life through them and it's valid at any of their stores.

#11 ·
Seriously.... If there's a website forum for service managers, they are surely making fun of you on it right now. I can see the thread title now.....

"Dude came in with free oil change certificate from different dealership and had the nerve to yell at me for not honoring it! Lol! He wants to BUY his car somewhere else and THEN wants US to do free work! Lol!". "Can't wait for him to come back for any warranty work....I put notes in his profile so we remember him :)"

#12 ·
OP, I'm guessing that one free oil change is not a Ford Motor Corporation incentive. That was a deal from the individual dealership you bought you're mustang from. Dealership A was offering a free oil and filter change as a thank you for buying a car from their dealership.

Why in the world would a completely separate dealership who has absolutely nothing to do with the dealership you bought from, honor a free oil change? That doesn't even make a sense sir! Its not a free oil change from the Ford Corporation, its not a warranty claim. With that said, to help me understand your logical reasoning please explain why dealership B would give you a free oil and filter change when dealership A is offering the free oil change to thank its customers.

If you want a free oil change from dealership B, go buy another car and choose that dealership! Screwy!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#13 ·
I got my 1st "free oil change" but it took 1 hour for the service. I now go to a Lube place near me and have it done in 15 minutes. I am fighting my dealer for $100.00 reference fee. Port Lavaca,Tx.

#14 ·
OMG man!! Please don't take your Mustang to those places! LOTS of videos online of quick lube places NOT doing the work, not even changing the oil or the filter etc! If you think news reports and videos have changed them into being honest now, you are incorrect...business as usual.
Just for fun, next time you go in, pre mark your filter with a sharpie and then look at it when you get home after they supposedly changed it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf6KY6rrqYU

#16 ·
Guys why would you belittle this guy for not understanding his plight?? Seriously, I mean I can laugh at myself too!! But you really think telling him people will be making fun of him?? I'm really not overly sensitive, I think we should encourage people to ask questions...even if we think there dumb!!! I wasn't all that smart myself when I first started dealing for cars 40 years ago. Some of your responses aren't going to make people WANT to ask questions. Those of you who did contribute positively ...kudos to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#17 ·
He wasn't asking a question, he was bashing dealerships because they wouldn't uphold a competitor's offer. And it's not actually bashing him when people say he will be made fun of. It's a fact that every business makes fun of certain customers behind closed doors for whatever reason.

#27 ·
If he does not want to change the oil/filter and have a Ford dealer do it.

He just has to pay up.
If he goes to his local dealer to get it done I'm sure they won't accept another dealers discount coupon. He just needs to pay and get it done. If he starts being a regular customer at his local dealer they usually send out discount coupons on Tire rotations and oil/filter changes every once in a while to their regular customers.
I actually got my oil/filter done today. I always ask for the same guy that has been doing my services since I bought the car. (Willie) He checks everything and does a great clean job.
My dealer has a complete separate building for maintenance and no young kids doing the work. I see the same technicians there all the time.
Ronnie

#28 ·
^ Yep.

I got a complimentary first oil change at the dealer where I purchased my '14 Mustang, and they made it a point to tell me that I would need to come to their service department to redeem it, which I did. After that, I have taken it to my local dealer for service, which I prefer for a couple of different reasons. If my local dealer would have had the car I wanted on the lot, I would have bought it from them... but their Mustang selection is usually pretty sparse, so I bought the car from another dealer about 30 miles away. I prefer my local dealer for service, and I am happy to pay for the service I receive. I had the exact same situation with my previous Mustang - bought it at the dealer with a great selection, but had all the service done at my local dealer. It pays to have a good relationship with the guys in the service department you choose to use.

#31 ·
At least you guys have had good dealer experiences. I've only managed to find bad ones locally, including the purchasing dealership that has managed to dent the door, scratch the interior, crush a rocker moulding (when the car presumably slipped off their lift), and totally botch a warranty gear replacement (that I ultimately paid to have redone by a pro). They even tried to pocket a vehicle payment credit issued to me by FoMoCo!

From dealing with all this pain, the regional CSM had given me a free vehicle maintenance plan that includes so many oil changes. Something like that is good at any dealership since it is issued by the manufacturer. That said, don't think I've ever actually used it!

#33 ·
Man the OP did get hit hard, I did too, I go to a little Mom & Pop Garage, watch the work being done as I inspect the under side of the pony & talk to the owner while he is changing the oil. I would change my own if I had ramps, guess I'll buy some soon, save $15.00 huh?

#34 ·
Hey kgallowaypa

Don't worry about it. We all have got hollerd at on the forum at one time or another. We all still like you.:thumb:
Ronnie

PS: anyone that has not been scolded yet ---Just wait !!!!

#35 ·
Don't worry about it. We all have got hollerd at on the forum at one time or another. We all still like you.:thumb:
Ronnie

PS: anyone that has not been scolded yet ---Just wait !!!!
Haha thanks man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#36 ·
It's that "South Florida" thing....I used to live in Boca Raton, and had to get out of there after 4 years; I started copping an attitude that the rest of the world owed me.

After being back in Central Florida now for 20 years, and being slapped around, I have realized that there's nothing that's free; one way or another, we pay for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.