Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Bolt on Reliability Concerns

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  natestang07 
#1 ·
Ok guys I could really use some help/advice here. In the next couple weeks to a months time I'm considering overhauling my stock 2014 performance pack v6. I am considering basic bolt ons such as: steeda cai, long tube headers, catless midpipe, axlebacks, tune, sr lowering springs and panhard. And for those of you who have similar bolt ons have you had any issues after the install? My car only has 7k on her and I bought her brand new. I am also highly concerned about my cclutch I'm a fairly aggressive driver and I want to know about any and all issues I may need to pay attention to. Lastly for what its worth all my parts will be coming from american muscle.

#2 ·
AM has top tier customer service, if for any reason you have anything go wrong, they will help you, no doubt about it.

In response to your clutch, you going to have to change it over time anyways, especially with aggressive driving, so it shouldn't be much of a concern.

Sent from my iPhone

#5 ·
I have a V6 and done a ton of mods all over the place no concern here. Just keep in mind the goal. I think suspension is the big one. lowered is great for handling and corners. Control arms do great for wheel hop but it all stiffens it up. I am thrilled but just saying do not think reliable means NOT different. If that makes sense

#6 ·
Oh yeah man I want different even with the performance pack my suspension is soft for my taste. And FYI guys this is my daily driver so that is a big concern as well. I'm glad to hear the positive responses too modding so far, cause I really want to mod my stang...and by the way sterling 5.0 great color I have sterling gray as well. :-D

#7 ·
Why the instant rush of getting everything at the same time? Seems like something you should think about and do in steps. Are you doing all of this like in the same week/month or is this like a progressive build thread where it's overtime?

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

#12 ·
Only caution I say is beware what axlebacks you pair with a mid pipe, especially if you pick an Offroad X. The 3.7 is a raspy motor, longtubes, x pipe, and a more open muffler system like Roush or Borla ATAK's will kill any DD build as it becomes unbearable volume and drone wise.

SR Performance CAI, Bama 91R tune, Roush Axleback, BBK Shorty Headers.

#13 ·
I have jlt cai, flowmaster axlebacks, tune, and bbk shorties. 289 rwhp from stock 258 rwp... I'd say they're worth it ur numbers would be more w long tube headers.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#14 ·
Don't see any mods there that should mess with your clutch, now if you were going with some sort of forced induction then maybe. When the time comes to replace the stock one I would look at getting a performance clutch and maybe a lighter flywheel and drive shaft also! Mod till you drop, it is never ending, that is the fun of it! Don't forget after 50 post you get a 6% forum discount from AM also!

#15 ·
The only thing wrong I see with that list is the springs and panhard bar. That's not enough, you'll have premature wear on your remaining OEM suspension components and even your drivetrain.

You'll also introduce less traction + with more HP, even lesser traction.

#17 ·
It really depends on how much you care AND how much you're willing to spend:

Bare minimum - this will take care of most geometry+correct performance (so you're not being counterproductive):

-Adj. panhard
-Adj. UCA
-Rear LCA relocation brackets

You're still missing a lot though:

-Roll center will still be off (fix: balljoints + bumpsteer kit)
-Traction may be able to use improvement (LCAs, UCA mount)
-Shocks/struts to get back lost ride quality/handling from springs

#20 ·
The only potential issue you may have is in the tune. Although if you go with a reputable company (Bama, steeda, mpt, etc) they will take care of it. But just know sometimes it takes some data logs back and forth to get everything just right.

It seems like some people expect a perfect time the first time and although some people get great tunes right away others don't so just be prepared that it's a possibility and may take some time to get dialed in

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#21 ·
OP, all great choices for mods and you should have zero issues. Short of a throttle body and throttle body spacer I have bolt on's up the a$$ and never any issues. I have 45k miles on my 2011 and runs stronger than ever. ?. No worries bro. My pony makes 297 rwhp with bolt on mods!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#22 ·
That's awesome kona blue that's the kind of power I wanna make right around 300hp to the wheels. I want to say as well I appreciate everyone's feedback, I feel more confident than ever about taking my stang to the next level. I will keep everyone posted about my progress and post pics in the next couple weeks of my installs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.