Mustang Evolution Forum banner

CAI or Shorty Headers Next?

Tags
cai
2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Fintile 
#1 ·
So I've gotten to the point where I have to make a decision on my next mod. The Gibson exhaust is working out great as long as you don't mind finding EVERY rattle in the car... I'm planning on either a BBK blackout CAI or the BBK shorties. Besides the axle backs performance wise Elaine is completely stock. I've got a tuner buddy of mine telling me to go with the CAI no questions asked - but I really want to better the exhaust note with some headers. They both cost the same from AM so......

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 ·
I'm sure I'll start a fire storm with this comment. But a cai does nothing for the exhaust. Air comes in it and enters the engine, the engine makes like boom and sound comes out. What you hear is beautiful intake music when that throttle body butterfly spreads its wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#8 ·
I had one on my Altima and noticed absolutely zero difference. With just axle backs there is a huge difference in the Mustang so I can only imagine what shorties would do. Might just get a drop in filter though to open it up a bit.

2014 Sterling Grey FP6 w/ Tech package
Current Mods: Gibson exhaust; MMD hood scoop and side scoops; Tinted head lights, tail lights and all reflectors.

#9 ·
I know I might be firing up my own storm, but when I installed the Steeda CAI and the tune, man, what a difference..however that could have just been the tune alone and not direct from the intake. I will tell you though, if you don't have a stock exhaust, you will most likely not even hear the intake sound of a CAI and those performance increases are very grey area unless its tuned to begin with...so I am going to vouch for shorties as well.

#11 ·
Tell your tuner buddy that you already have a CAI, since that's what the factory intake is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Well he drives a Dinan BMW so go figure. I take his advice with a grain of salt since he isn't exactly up to speed on true American Muscle...

Current Mods: Gibson exhaust; MMD hood scoop and side scoops; Tinted head lights, tail lights and all reflectors.

#22 ·
The intake on his turbo car matters exponentially more than your all motor. On the mazdaspeed3's The factory intake is 2", and we will see gains in turbo efficiency up to 4". The 5.0 uses a 3.5" intake ... let that sink in for a bit lol.

It's been proven on multiple occasions that while shorties only add 8-10 peak HP, the gains under the curve where the 3.7 needs them the most are very solid.
This. Curve gains > Peak gains, though 10 whp on a 3.7L motor is still nothing to scoff at.

Tune is in my future I'm sure. So now I'm deciding between the JBA and the BBK shorties. I can either get the JBA in raw stainless or the BBK in ceramic for the same price. Seems like the JBA setup might have a slight engineering edge but I'm not sure how raw stainless would hold up. My Gibson exhaust that's raw stainless already has some surface rust spots... I like that the JBA comes with all new studs and bolts though. Thoughts? Also, the BBK has larger tube than the JBA...

The JBA uses the smallest primary of the 3 companies. Honestly ... its hard to say what i would get. I believe MAC has the best quality of the 3, but BBKs collector design is superior ...

If i had to do it, i think i would get the plain Jane BBK headers, and then just use some proper heat wrap with a silicone sealant. I can pop the hood on my miata after a decent drive and put my hand right on the wrapped header. Don't get me wrong, im not groping it, and it is hot, but i dare anyone to even attempt that on an unwrapped header... that stuff is no joke, and can be done for half the price of that coating. Wrapping the headers keeps engine bay heat down and improves header efficiency, its literally a no brainer, just a lot of work and a decent hand workout to keep it tight.

#13 ·
If you want performance go with the headers I just bought an AirRaid CAI because I got a good deal. There is minimal to no performance additions with the CAI you can hear it some what so you'll get the intake sound and look but really doesn't make a difference in overall performance.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#14 ·
OP, I have an airraid CAI and really like it. I have no regrets about buying it. Have no clue if it added any power to my pony and don't care.

I like the way it looks under the hood and love the sound it makes when I'm WOT. That was good enough for me to put smiles on my face. I have blown more money at a strip club in a night, so it was worth it too me for the CAI. With that said, go with the shorties first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#15 ·
Well, as has been mentioned previously, you already have a CAI - and shorties don't add much as far as gains go either, so maybe you should consider something else. But, if you're absolutely going to do one of these then go with the shorties since you already have a cai.

#16 ·
It's been proven on multiple occasions that while shorties only add 8-10 peak HP, the gains under the curve where the 3.7 needs them the most are very solid.

#18 ·
Shorties, wish I had gotten them before my cai. Either way both would be better with a tune.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#20 ·
Tune is in my future I'm sure. So now I'm deciding between the JBA and the BBK shorties. I can either get the JBA in raw stainless or the BBK in ceramic for the same price. Seems like the JBA setup might have a slight engineering edge but I'm not sure how raw stainless would hold up. My Gibson exhaust that's raw stainless already has some surface rust spots... I like that the JBA comes with all new studs and bolts though. Thoughts? Also, the BBK has larger tube than the JBA...

#21 ·
The stainless of the JBA will out last the BBK ceramics. That being said I think only a few people have bought the JBA's and I believe all have ended up returning them for BBK or MAC cermaic coated instead.

#23 ·
Also I will note that on another forum, a guy changed from BBK LT's to BBK shorties and after his tune was revised to the shorties he is still running 12.5's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.