Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Need Advice About Body Work

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Midnight2012 
#1 ·
So I have some very minor damage to the passenger side of my 2014 base v6. A small dent on the door that is about half an inch in diameter and an eighth of an inch deep, and an even smaller dent near the rear end. It is also scraped up along the bottom of the door. To me it looks like the dents need to be vacuumed out and the areas painted and buffed. The dealership quoted me over $2100 for labor alone, claiming it will take 30 hours of work. This sounds extremely ridiculous to me. I would rather get the work done at the dealership for paint matching purposes, but not for nearly that much. How much do you think it should cost, and would it be safe to got it done at a non-dealer body shop? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
I used to work at a body shop so I know a little about the work involved. Honestly I can't really give you my honest opinion without seeing pictures. But here are some things to remember.

30 hours labor doesn't mean they will work on just some dents and some paint and it takes 30 hours.

No, to do it properly the car has to be detrimed (door handle has to come off, any rubber, body panels either loosened or removed, lights removed ect) that's anything effected by the area damaged. Then pain isn't cheap. Good paint and clear can cost 1,000 bucks for an entire car. Is that the case here? No but just to give you an idea. Then there is any other supplies ect.

Honestly when it comes to body work you generally get EXACTLY what you pay for. Can you get it done elsewhere for cheaper? Yep. Will they cut corners to achieve the same profit margin the dealer is? Yep.

Now I will say any GOOD body shop can match paint bro. But any other good body shop is going to charge you a very similar amount.

Post pics and I will tell you in detail what I really think

#3 ·
So I have some very minor damage to the passenger side of my 2014 base v6. A small dent on the door that is about half an inch in diameter and an eighth of an inch deep, and an even smaller dent near the rear end. It is also scraped up along the bottom of the door. To me it looks like the dents need to be vacuumed out and the areas painted and buffed. The dealership quoted me over $2100 for labor alone, claiming it will take 30 hours of work. This sounds extremely ridiculous to me. I would rather get the work done at the dealership for paint matching purposes, but not for nearly that much. How much do you think it should cost, and would it be safe to got it done at a non-dealer body shop? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Find a GOOD body shop and get an estimate. They can match the paint just as well as the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.