Mustang Evolution Forum banner

X or H pipe!

2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Strata197 
#1 ·
I am going for a catless x or h pipe! I am not doing headers yet but that will be soon. I am going for either the Lethal Performance X pipe or the H pipe and I am curious on which pipe would be best for our V6 Mustangs. I currently have a Roush Axle Backs and Cold air intake and tuner and I am stuck on which pipe to go with. Any help is good! Thank You! Sound and performance is what I am looking for!

#3 ·
H pipe gives you the deeper throaty sound while the x pipe is louder and kind of like nascar sound. Seeing how you have Roush which are pretty loud I would get an H pipe. Otherwise you will have tons of rasp.

#12 · (Edited)
Here's Dave Youngs 2011 V6 with...
BBK long tube headers with BBK catted shorty X-Pipe and Magnaflow 'Street Series' axle back mufflers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGG0h1HYNc

(recording quality not that great.)
EDIT: I believe the cats help a lot. I assume the resonators are gone.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
4. Midpipes: The Factory mid pipe is a Hybrid H/X pipe with 2 cats, and 2 resonators. Your aftermarket mid pipes will come in 1 of 2 configurations, either a dedicated X or H, with the option of cats or no cats typically.

X-pipe: It has been dyno tested that an X will make more power, however marginal it may be (typically 3-5 whp at best). Typically however, your X-pipe will induce a LOT more rasp, something someone may want to keep in mind when choosing their mods.

H-pipe: Again, as was said above the H-pipe will give up a few whp to the X-pipes, but the lack of rasp may be a little more what some folks are looking for.

Cats Vs Catless: Depending on how strict inspections are in your area, you may want to choose an aftermarket mid pipe option that includes High flow cats. High flow cats are an interesting topic, and one that is also highly debated, but i will include my personal opinion. The only reason cats are "high-flow" is because of the number of cells they have, the fewer the cells, the "higher flowing" it is. Well, if a cat flows enough, it can still register (as far as the computer is concerned) as "catless" and cause issues with emissions testing. Just food for thought. Personally, i would either go catless or stick with the factory pipe. I personally dont see the point in spending $500+ on a mid pipe that still has cats, but this is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

#21 · (Edited)
I have the exact same set up. It's very loud! After a couple 100 miles you get use to it and it tones down a bit. I get mixed reviews, some love it some hate it. At idle it is mistaken for a v8. I have multiple videos on my YouTube channel

http://youtu.be/ypT67U1s5mM

http://youtu.be/-sYJzK6sZxA

http://youtu.be/PKbYADRo8Yc

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Oh and you also get a very noticeable performance gain. You lose just a little low end torque but it moves to the higher end. I think BBK claims 20hp and you can definitely feel it!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#22 ·
Smoother tone??? Lol...I'm all about the horse power. I'm not spending the money on shorties for tone. That's why I could have put on some real noisy axle backs ....but they add no hp! I put on quieter ones for the day I add the headers and x pipe. Which will add REAL HP!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#24 ·
H pipe will Give you a deeper and throatier sound.
X pipe will give you a "racier" sound with some rasp if it is O/R.
X pipe will give you a HP increase . H pipe will not. O/R h pipe will give you a small increase in HP, O/R x will give you the greatest hp increase

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

I have BBK ceramic shorty headers with a Ford racing x pipe, love the gains and the sound. Best of both worlds IMO

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#25 ·
Uh Uh UH...hold on there you're 90% correct.

X pipes give such a small insignificant HP increase that it makes no difference if you get H or X for power as both give gains over stock (3-5 hp). They are mostly for sound.
Also removing the cats on ANY setup will give you a bump in peak HP but you will lose a little in the low end, but not much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.