Borla S Type cat or axle back? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Borla S Type cat or axle back?

Guys, is it just me or are the cat backs version a lot more throaty and gurgly than the axle backs? I'm planning to purchase one but I don't know if it's worth it to drop an extra $250 on the cat backs. From the videos the cat backs are certainly more gurgly and has more of a classic V8 sound, but does anyone know for sure if they sound different at all in person? I really want that gurgly V8 idle.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Hate to break it to you, but you won't get the V8 sound from a V6. You can make it sound great, but I just don't want you thinking there's a way to get that V8 tone. And the catback sounds more aggressive because the overaxle pipes are bigger.

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
the catback isn't worth the money. there's no difference in sound imo. and i thought that I read the pipes are the same size as stock on the v6??
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Hmm looks like the Borla catback pipes ARE factory size. Definitely not really worth it then

LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Hmm looks like the Borla catback pipes ARE factory size. Definitely not really worth it then

yep. all you get are prettier looking stainless pipes. no sound difference honestly.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you won't get the V8 sound from a V6. You can make it sound great, but I just don't want you thinking there's a way to get that V8 tone. And the catback sounds more aggressive because the overaxle pipes are bigger.

Yeah I know it won't get that v8 sound, but I want to get a good sounding exhaust that's at least close to it.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
the catback isn't worth the money. there's no difference in sound imo. and i thought that I read the pipes are the same size as stock on the v6??
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Really? Hmm, so I guess it's the manual vs auto sound. All the manuals sound way more throaty than the autos from what I've seen so far. I read that there are extra resonators on the auto, do you know where they are?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenofguam View Post
Really? Hmm, so I guess it's the manual vs auto sound. All the manuals sound way more throaty than the autos from what I've seen so far. I read that there are extra resonators on the auto, do you know where they are?

The resonators (one each side) are right after the cats. I thought the difference between auto and manual was just in the mufflers. But I don't know for sure. The mufflers do look a bit different.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
On my Borla cat back setup it has an X-pipe and resonator delete. Sure sounds different than a stock H-pipe with stock resonators.
ddtmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang