HID headlight diameter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
cwillisfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Worth
Region: Florida
Posts: 39
HID headlight diameter

I'm looking to buy halo rings for my 2014 but I'm not sure what size to purchase. I'm thinking 80mm would do it. I'm trying to avoid buying the expensive Oracle kit. Has anyone gone the non-kit route & what size did you go with?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
willb2305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LA county
Region: California
Posts: 149
So far 80mm and 100mm are the sizes i see. Have contacted a couple places none have emailed me back yet with a confirmed size. Also if you dont buy Oracle chances are the led will die within months and you will have to keep replacing them. I am about to get the SMD type oracle halos as they are brighter and better then CCFL halos and are easier to see in the daytime with longer life expectancy compared to CCFL as well. SMD or plasma type halos are the way to go both for being able to actually see the halos in the daytime and nighttime as well as longer life then CCFL type halos. Tons of hit or misses with CCFL you get about a 50% chance of it working on you when you first install them or they die within 6-8 months. Not worth it getting cheaper led halos from other companies as well. I wouldnt want to be taking my bumper off and my headlights out just to replace cheap halos that burn out within 3-8 months.
__________________
2012 V6
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
cwillisfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Worth
Region: Florida
Posts: 39
Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to have to do this more than once so I would have to agree that cheap may not be the way to go. If you get confirmation on the size can you post back? I also want to do my fogs but they're so small and domed so I see now way to install a halo in them. I'm looking at replacement fogs but I'm only finding solid colored ones & I really want the color shift.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
willb2305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LA county
Region: California
Posts: 149
this place seems to have the best prices on Oracle halos and they also do halos for the fog lights. 2010-2012 Ford Mustang Oracle Halo Headlights at NFC Performance

i dont think i emailed that website on halo ring sizes so i would shoot them an email and see what sizes are needed for the headlight and fog lights.

this is the correct link for your year mustang
http://www.nfcperformance.com/2005-2...alo-headlights
__________________
2012 V6
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
cwillisfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Worth
Region: Florida
Posts: 39
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
ponie1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
this place seems to have the best prices on Oracle halos and they also do halos for the fog lights. 2010-2012 Ford Mustang Oracle Halo Headlights at NFC Performance

i dont think i emailed that website on halo ring sizes so i would shoot them an email and see what sizes are needed for the headlight and fog lights.

this is the correct link for your year mustang
http://www.nfcperformance.com/2005-2...alo-headlights
Not sure if they are the cheapest. Their site requires you to choose a remote that costs at least $55. Can't you run these without remote?

Jeremy
__________________
Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
ponie1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
cwillisfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Worth
Region: Florida
Posts: 39
Yeah...once I added the halos for the headlights & the fogs the total came to $450. I didn't see that you had to purchase the remote too. Seems pricey for what it is.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
ponie1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lexington
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 1,052
The site wouldn't let me go to my cart without choosing a remote option. I'm using my phone so maybe that has something to do with it.

Jeremy
__________________
Jeremy
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
ponie1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
cwillisfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Worth
Region: Florida
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
So far 80mm and 100mm are the sizes i see. Have contacted a couple places none have emailed me back yet with a confirmed size. Also if you dont buy Oracle chances are the led will die within months and you will have to keep replacing them. I am about to get the SMD type oracle halos as they are brighter and better then CCFL halos and are easier to see in the daytime with longer life expectancy compared to CCFL as well. SMD or plasma type halos are the way to go both for being able to actually see the halos in the daytime and nighttime as well as longer life then CCFL type halos. Tons of hit or misses with CCFL you get about a 50% chance of it working on you when you first install them or they die within 6-8 months. Not worth it getting cheaper led halos from other companies as well. I wouldnt want to be taking my bumper off and my headlights out just to replace cheap halos that burn out within 3-8 months.

I would think that the 80mm would be for the headlights & 100mm would be for the GT fog lights


Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillisfla View Post
Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to have to do this more than once so I would have to agree that cheap may not be the way to go. If you get confirmation on the size can you post back? I also want to do my fogs but they're so small and domed so I see now way to install a halo in them. I'm looking at replacement fogs but I'm only finding solid colored ones & I really want the color shift.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yeah I looked around for halos for the V6 fogs and found nothing. I called a few places and they said they were to small and the housings wouldn't be able to fit them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
cwillisfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Worth
Region: Florida
Posts: 39
HID headlight diameter

Yeah I took a good look at them and the fact that they are so small & domed makes it impossible even if there was a ring that size. I guess the option would be to change them out for a different halo fog but there are no color shift ones available any smaller than 4"and I'm pretty sure the ones on the car are 3".


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
You could always get colorshift fog lights(not halos, just the bulb). They won't be very effective for lighting purposes though.
__________________
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
cwillisfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Worth
Region: Florida
Posts: 39
Thought about that. I'm running green LEDs in them now & I have headlight covers. Like you said they do nothing for illuminating anything so I have to off my headlight covers if i'm going to be driving at night or else I can't see anything. I may just try one of the aftermarket 3" fogs w/halo & see if I can't get that to work.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Connor323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Orleans
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Gotcha. I'm the same way. I have the headlights tinted with led fogs and can't see a thing. I'm planning on taking apart the headlights and painting the inside black so I keep the look but get my visibility back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
Connor323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
cwillisfla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Worth
Region: Florida
Posts: 39
If I picked up a ford wiring harness & cut off the connector at the fog lamp end & hardwired the aftermarket fogs to the harness that should work? I know the halo portion needs to be wired separately. I'd like to avoid tapping into or cutting the existing harness. This way if I ever wanted to return to stock it would be as simple as removing the aftermarket light, putting the OEM ones back on & plugging them in.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airaid TB spacer diameter Marc3.71994 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 6 02-01-2013 09:29 PM
"Ideal" exhaust diameter rebeltx 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 1 01-23-2013 03:00 PM
Cold Air Intake Diameter? FORDGT14 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 05-08-2012 12:15 AM
Looking for 5" Diameter Fogs Thomas91169 Mustang Audio & Video 5 08-12-2006 03:22 PM
CHROME TIPS..>Brand NEW!....2.5" diameter, Angle Cut..PICS!! Autobadges.com Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 5 05-02-2004 12:48 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:23 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.