HID headlight diameter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
HID headlight diameter

I'm looking to buy halo rings for my 2014 but I'm not sure what size to purchase. I'm thinking 80mm would do it. I'm trying to avoid buying the expensive Oracle kit. Has anyone gone the non-kit route & what size did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
cwillisfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
So far 80mm and 100mm are the sizes i see. Have contacted a couple places none have emailed me back yet with a confirmed size. Also if you dont buy Oracle chances are the led will die within months and you will have to keep replacing them. I am about to get the SMD type oracle halos as they are brighter and better then CCFL halos and are easier to see in the daytime with longer life expectancy compared to CCFL as well. SMD or plasma type halos are the way to go both for being able to actually see the halos in the daytime and nighttime as well as longer life then CCFL type halos. Tons of hit or misses with CCFL you get about a 50% chance of it working on you when you first install them or they die within 6-8 months. Not worth it getting cheaper led halos from other companies as well. I wouldnt want to be taking my bumper off and my headlights out just to replace cheap halos that burn out within 3-8 months.
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to have to do this more than once so I would have to agree that cheap may not be the way to go. If you get confirmation on the size can you post back? I also want to do my fogs but they're so small and domed so I see now way to install a halo in them. I'm looking at replacement fogs but I'm only finding solid colored ones & I really want the color shift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
this place seems to have the best prices on Oracle halos and they also do halos for the fog lights. 2010-2012 Ford Mustang Oracle Halo Headlights at NFC Performance

i dont think i emailed that website on halo ring sizes so i would shoot them an email and see what sizes are needed for the headlight and fog lights.

this is the correct link for your year mustang
http://www.nfcperformance.com/2005-2...alo-headlights
AirRaid CAI, BBK Ceramic LT Headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, Borla ATAK, MPT 93/97 Tune, Steeda LCA's and UCA, Steeda Relocation Brackets, 373 gears, WaveTrac LSD, Dynotech Driveshaft. Prothane Motor Mounts, Whiteline adjustable panhard bar & brace.Ground Control Coilovers with Koni's custom valved. Coming soon Circle D 3800 Stall and Lone Wolf Intake Manifold.
willb2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
this place seems to have the best prices on Oracle halos and they also do halos for the fog lights. 2010-2012 Ford Mustang Oracle Halo Headlights at NFC Performance

i dont think i emailed that website on halo ring sizes so i would shoot them an email and see what sizes are needed for the headlight and fog lights.

this is the correct link for your year mustang
http://www.nfcperformance.com/2005-2...alo-headlights
Not sure if they are the cheapest. Their site requires you to choose a remote that costs at least $55. Can't you run these without remote?

Jeremy
Old 04-22-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah...once I added the halos for the headlights & the fogs the total came to $450. I didn't see that you had to purchase the remote too. Seems pricey for what it is.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
The site wouldn't let me go to my cart without choosing a remote option. I'm using my phone so maybe that has something to do with it.

Jeremy
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willb2305 View Post
So far 80mm and 100mm are the sizes i see. Have contacted a couple places none have emailed me back yet with a confirmed size. Also if you dont buy Oracle chances are the led will die within months and you will have to keep replacing them. I am about to get the SMD type oracle halos as they are brighter and better then CCFL halos and are easier to see in the daytime with longer life expectancy compared to CCFL as well. SMD or plasma type halos are the way to go both for being able to actually see the halos in the daytime and nighttime as well as longer life then CCFL type halos. Tons of hit or misses with CCFL you get about a 50% chance of it working on you when you first install them or they die within 6-8 months. Not worth it getting cheaper led halos from other companies as well. I wouldnt want to be taking my bumper off and my headlights out just to replace cheap halos that burn out within 3-8 months.

I would think that the 80mm would be for the headlights & 100mm would be for the GT fog lights

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 04-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillisfla View Post
Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to have to do this more than once so I would have to agree that cheap may not be the way to go. If you get confirmation on the size can you post back? I also want to do my fogs but they're so small and domed so I see now way to install a halo in them. I'm looking at replacement fogs but I'm only finding solid colored ones & I really want the color shift.

Yeah I looked around for halos for the V6 fogs and found nothing. I called a few places and they said they were to small and the housings wouldn't be able to fit them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

HID headlight diameter

Yeah I took a good look at them and the fact that they are so small & domed makes it impossible even if there was a ring that size. I guess the option would be to change them out for a different halo fog but there are no color shift ones available any smaller than 4"and I'm pretty sure the ones on the car are 3".

Old 04-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You could always get colorshift fog lights(not halos, just the bulb). They won't be very effective for lighting purposes though.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thought about that. I'm running green LEDs in them now & I have headlight covers. Like you said they do nothing for illuminating anything so I have to off my headlight covers if i'm going to be driving at night or else I can't see anything. I may just try one of the aftermarket 3" fogs w/halo & see if I can't get that to work.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha. I'm the same way. I have the headlights tinted with led fogs and can't see a thing. I'm planning on taking apart the headlights and painting the inside black so I keep the look but get my visibility back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

If I picked up a ford wiring harness & cut off the connector at the fog lamp end & hardwired the aftermarket fogs to the harness that should work? I know the halo portion needs to be wired separately. I'd like to avoid tapping into or cutting the existing harness. This way if I ever wanted to return to stock it would be as simple as removing the aftermarket light, putting the OEM ones back on & plugging them in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang