2014 Mustang V6 start up problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Angry 2014 Mustang V6 start up problems

For a little while now I had been noticing some issues with my car. I first noticed this occurring after I loaded my Bama tunes from American Muscle onto my vehicle and tried out the 93R tune with a better throttle response. My car had been feeling as if it wanted to shut off while it was in park as the rpms would drop really low almost below 500rpms then back up to 1400rpms. . The right fuel has always been used just FYI. One morning my vehicle did not want to start up. It would turn over but would struggle to start up and once it did start it would shut off. From time to time it would stay on with some added pressure to the pedal but once the rpms reached 2k rpms my car would decrease the rpms all the way down to 0 and shut off. I took it into ford and had my vehicle repaired or so I thought. They told me my airaid cai from American muscle had the filter contaminated with oil and that had caused my MAF sensor to not work and my throttle body also. I payed to have my MAF sensor replaced and ford covered my throttle body. Keep in mind my Airaid cai that I ordered came with a dry filter, no the oiled filter, and has only been on for a little over a month now. It has not been cleaned with oil or anything bc it had literally just been put on from the local body shops point of installation till now. How could this be so "contaminated" if NO ONE has touched my car besides me? AMERICAN MUSCLE claimed that perhaps the body shop that installed it had piled the filter, really? I was there during the time the box was opened to installation to when I drove off with cai installed. I can't even begin to understand how ford and American muscle would say oil contaminated the filter causing these issues for my car when it isn' an oiled filter, no oil has been applied and the cai and filter have only been on a little over a month. When I got my car back from ford all fixed up or so I thought, of course I put the bama tune back on thinking the problem had been fixed and it was ready to enjoy my car again. The car was running great until I noticed the rpms dropping a little from time to time but thought ok the car must be getting used to the tune all over again right or something. I've had my car back less than a week now and the same problem reoccurred today all over again. Any suggestions? I'm taking my car back into ford tomorrow and American muscle and bama are supposedly working on the issue to find where the problem lies. Once I find out what it is I'll be sure to let EVERYONE know so that they don't have to deal with all this like I am now. For now I'm thinking all of this is a big waste of money. The parts purchased, the stress being without my car, it sucks. I mean my car is practiaclly my baby, nothing else matters more to me literally it's just my car and my dog the way it should be for a guy. I want to be able to take a drive even when my car is dirty like Mr. Shelby once said by how can I when it won't even stay on, the sound of the car doenst sound like its idling right and it keeps sputtering and shutting off. We'll see what the problem is come tomorrow when I take my car back into to Ford. Is Ford really the best in Texas? I'm starting to doubt that. :/
VinceLee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Did you flash back to the stock tune?

Sent from my XT1064 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

If you mean when I noticed these problems yes and it seemed like the problem went away or got a little better but then it came right back. Today when I noticed this happening again I flashed back over to stock and my car started up and worked almost perfect except the rpms were still sort of dropping low and the car sounding like the idle was low and as if the power wasn't there or being restricted.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceLee23 View Post
For a little while now I had been noticing some issues with my car. I first noticed this occurring after I loaded my Bama tunes from American Muscle onto my vehicle and tried out the 93R tune :/
I think the problems with your 2014 Mustang originated right here.^

2014! You had a nearly brand new, perfectly running Mustang under warranty. Now you sometimes have a Mustang that's more fun to drive and a lot of times, chasing check engine lights and hoping it will run right again, probably while swinging a hefty monthly payment driving a car that runs like its 20 years old.

The only "tune" I feel safe getting is a Ford Track Key. No thanks Bama, Lund, Roush...
When I don't have to rely on my 2014 to get to work everyday and have extra time to "data log" and hang out at a dealership service waiting area, I'll consider it.
The best option of course is just owning a car that comes right off the assembly line with the power I want and not trying to tweak it out with a little plastic computer.
But I don't have Shelby money. And I'm not going to expect it from a $400 game boy Bama with a Dominic Toreto CAI.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceLee23 View Post
If you mean when I noticed these problems yes and it seemed like the problem went away or got a little better but then it came right back. Today when I noticed this happening again I flashed back over to stock and my car started up and worked almost perfect except the rpms were still sort of dropping low and the car sounding like the idle was low and as if the power wasn't there or being restricted.!
First of all it is very unusual for a tune to cause a car not to start. Do you have a wrench or check engine light on?
You could use your tuner to check if it has thrown any codes. If it is doing the same thing when flashed to stock it shouldn't be tune related. but I would call BAMA anyway. Sounds to me like you had a bad MAF sensor and it was replaced. If it was oil it could have been cleaned. It is possible the MAF connection or wires are not working right, MAF sensors don't go bad that often. Sorry you have had such trouble on a new car, I'm sure the dealership will make it right and you can go back to enjoying your ride.
iguanaman3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #6

@Waylap1 Your reply to my post literally made little to no sense at all. Quite frankly, I think it did more harm than good to helping solve the issue. With such jubberush like material fit for those stuck in a service waiting area, much like I will be tomorrow, this hardly even touches base on my vehicles issue and more of your interpretation and opinion of how much you view a "hefty monthly payment" truly is worth. Money isn't the issue here, the 2014 mustang V6 is like a project waiting for its creator to show the vehicle performance potential behind something so already beautifully crafted to be made better through the creators ambitional drive. Sure starting with a higher hp car is great but where is the fun in the creation of something built from bits and pieces and claiming it as your own piece or work like art. The only true issue is figuring out what is going on with my vehicle and seeing if anyone can share any true light onto what perhaps is happening upon start up of my vehicles engine and all described problems I've been running into with my vehicle as well.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 AM   #7

The wrench light, maintainence light, and check engine light have both come on before and now it is just the wrench light once again that had appeared but it disappears after a while as if though the problem never was there to begin with. It's strange I know and I'm not sure how to go about it. For now, I just hope my vehicle starts up in the morning to make it to fords servicing deptment to get looked at once again.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have a 2014 with 7k miles on it, I have had a Bama 93R tune on it since 3k miles and it is still running strong with no hicups or any kind of problem. Cars come stock from the factory with a very mild tune, it is only natural to want to wake up your care and make it run how it should be tuned from the start.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3600 View Post
I have a 2014 with 7k miles on it, I have had a Bama 93R tune on it since 3k miles and it is still running strong with no hicups or any kind of problem. Cars come stock from the factory with a very mild tune, it is only natural to want to wake up your care and make it run how it should be tuned from the start.
I have a 2011 with 46k miles and been tuned since 5k miles. My car has run flawless and zero issues. Been running Bama and MPT tunes!

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I think the problems with your 2014 Mustang originated right here.^

2014! You had a nearly brand new, perfectly running Mustang under warranty. Now you sometimes have a Mustang that's more fun to drive and a lot of times, chasing check engine lights and hoping it will run right again, probably while swinging a hefty monthly payment driving a car that runs like its 20 years old.

The only "tune" I feel safe getting is a Ford Track Key. No thanks Bama, Lund, Roush...
When I don't have to rely on my 2014 to get to work everyday and have extra time to "data log" and hang out at a dealership service waiting area, I'll consider it.
The best option of course is just owning a car that comes right off the assembly line with the power I want and not trying to tweak it out with a little plastic computer.
But I don't have Shelby money. And I'm not going to expect it from a $400 game boy Bama with a Dominic Toreto CAI.
hahaha i lol'ed. but you have a point. I'd never even bother with these tunes from reading all the issues people have where they have to waste time sending data logs to get custom programs etc... not worth that money on my brand new car that runs fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Put the stock airbox back on (which is already a cai) and put the tune back to stock until AM can figure out what the problem is.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I feel like the OP expected perfection from mods but that is not always the case. You are going to have problems. You should have thought about this before getting the tuner. I would do what sid719e suggested and pretty much put everything back to stock to get the car running again. That should probably be the first thing to get the car back running and narrow down the problem to either the car, the tune, or the cai.

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
Put the stock airbox back on (which is already a cai) and put the tune back to stock until AM can figure out what the problem is.
Ditto!
Then dealer can deal with the issue, if any.
I would even question the validity of the "filter contaminated with oil". Did they show you that it was?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

I feel dumber by reading his comments about tuning causing issues lmao.

Also OP, from what you said, AM said "perhaps" they oiled it, which means maybe they did or didn't they don't know.

put stock **** back on, take it to dealer and have them fix it. Also get a refund on the maf sensor while you're there
Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

I would guess the air/fuel ratio isn't set right. So you car may be choking when idle and such due to everything not being properly burnt off and stuff. This could be due to bad configuration so the sensors are not picking things up right. Did you also try pulling fuse 47 to reset the car so it will relearn everything? Maybe it can adjust itself with a clean slate. If you have the Premium cluster, you can view the fuel/air ratio. Off the top of my head, idk if the bama tool shows that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #16
Kevin.Cook

The startup issues can sometimes be contributed due to too much fuel lingering in the engine. Effectively choking it. Again, if things are being burnt off correctly, this would cause it. Had an issue like this with my old 3000gt.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Kevin.Cook

If pulling the fuse and letting the car "relearn" the air/fuel ratios wih the tune loaded doesnt work, then unfortunately the next course of action is to datalog so Bama can see where exactly the tune is off at. I would also double and triple check your computer code you supply to Bama as this also determines your tune build.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2014 mustang