Am I the only one who loves my solid axle? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Am I the only one who loves my solid axle?

So I know the split diff is supposed to be one of the great things about the new gen, but am I crazy that I love the feel of my beam? To me, that *** hop is all about the muscle.
sjd312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I love it too. Had a jeep, now have the stang and an old 79 suburban beater I call Merle...love how they all drive. Its the feel of actual axles under your vehicle!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I specifically bought my 2014 because I knew it was changing to IRS for 2015. I love the feel of a solid axle and it's soo much fun to drive. I have IRS in my 350Z and it's awesome, I just sometimes love the way a solid axle car gets tossed around and it's old school feel. I wouldn't even consider a 2015 mustang, I'd probably get a 370z or G37 instead.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I prefer the IRS
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I like mine!
I was just thinking today, as I was driving a very winding mountain road, that it makes it fun when the rear end hops around a bit!
A person gets used to it and you can almost always tell when it is going to become airborne by how the front end feels when it goes over the bump.
I think that it makes the cars interesting to drive.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I love mine too! But then I'm old school. Ah maybe it's just old, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Love hate over here.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd312 View Post
So I know the split diff is supposed to be one of the great things about the new gen, but am I crazy that I love the feel of my beam? To me, that *** hop is all about the muscle.

Well "*** hop" is not really a win. That's why everyone spends $$$ getting better LCA and UCA ect.

Secondly the IRS In the new model s550's has as much if not more wheel hop. So if you like hopping around your in luck 👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:06 AM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Am I the only one who loves my solid axle?

I've had a few "oh s***" moments with the back end stepping out in a bumpy corner, but have learned it and am totally fine with it.

I like the old school feel, but as many have said, a solid rear axle is like trying to run around with your shoelaces tied together.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:27 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it's just like driving a truck that corners great. I would prefer NOT to have it but what Ford has done with it is amazing.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I enjoy corner carving so much I am thinking about buying a BMR "watts link" that is to be released soon that replaces the panhard bar. I am "old school" too as my first car was a 67 Camaro. I've been hooked ever since.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I love being the only person in the top five without independent suspension, especially when the other people up there are national level drivers in full prep DSP BMWs, CSP Miatas, and SSP Corvettes...

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
i have know idea what IRS feels like, as I've only owned 2 NIssan pickup trucks before I got this, and my parents have a Pathfinder and a Tacoma, so I honestly never drove a car with IRS. therefore, i love whatever my car has. hahah
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
I enjoy corner carving so much I am thinking about buying a BMR "watts link" that is to be released soon that replaces the panhard bar. I am "old school" too as my first car was a 67 Camaro. I've been hooked ever since.

Whiteline has a watts link for $900. Americanmuscle.com has it in stock. http://www.americanmuscle.com/whitel...link-0510.html

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
m3infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:16 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I like the solid axle on my 2012

I did install a "SWarr BAR which is a brace that stiffens the axle and eliminates a lot of wheel hop.
I got it at American Muscle.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/search...tion=2010-2014
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Got a wheel hop reduction kit on mine, haven't had wheel hop ever...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Got a wheel hop reduction kit on mine, haven't had wheel hop ever...

Adventure till you drop

You also admit you've never gone WOT. So not sure that is a good example of success.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Doesn't mean I never got on it...

Adventure till you drop
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
I love being the only person in the top five without independent suspension, especially when the other people up there are national level drivers in full prep DSP BMWs, CSP Miatas, and SSP Corvettes...
There really is no advantage to IRS on most racing surfaces as they are generally well maintained. Public roads, on the other hand, can give an advantage to the IRS over a SRA.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It is amazing how many people do not understand that simple concept. I seem to have to explain it to some guy in an EVO every few events. Guess who does not return (I guess losing to a V6 Mustang is hard on the ego)...

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Doesn't mean I never got on it...

Adventure till you drop

It's misleading to tell someone you have a part like a roush wheel hop reduction kit and have NEVER had wheel hop when you have never gone full throttle on it. I just wouldn't want someone to think that kit would solve the problem completely, because it doesn't. It's a reduction not a cure. And you can't really speak to when it occurs.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
It is amazing how many people do not understand that simple concept. I seem to have to explain it to some guy in an EVO every few events. Guess who does not return (I guess losing to a V6 Mustang is hard on the ego)...
Only real benefit is being able to set the alignment on the IRS also. Can't change anything with the SRA.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
I specifically bought my 2014 because I knew it was changing to IRS for 2015.
I thought I might have been the only person to do that. I loved my previous Mustang, but after hearing that Ford was going to the IRS for the '15 models, it helped push me over the edge to seriously look for a new 2014. When I laid eyes on this one with the performance package, 6 speed manual and V6 in Sterling Gray... I was sold! When the '15 came out and was actually heavier than the '14, I knew I made the right decision.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing anybody's ride, I'm just really happy with mine!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I too bought into the last of the solid rear axle. I love the *** hop while canyon carving. Just makes it feel that much more "on the edge" hitting mid corner bumps. On my 12 wrx that thing was planted to the ground like it was on rails. It had its fun moments, but nothing as chub inducing as having the rear step out a bit and still feeling in control.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Watts link, torque arm, and coilovers. (And ofc upgrade your lcas, and rear sway bar)

The only thing the sra won't have at that point is ride comfort.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Watts link, torque arm, and coilovers. (And ofc upgrade your lcas, and rear sway bar)

The only thing the sra won't have at that point is ride comfort.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
You are right and that's the reason Ford went with IRS....Ride Comfort, not performance. Even COBO Camaros come with SRA's.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I love the SRA. Real muscle car feel to it, as it should be.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:01 AM   #28

Region: Ohio
I've been racing a shifter kart for the past 15 years so driving a live axle vehicle just seems perfectly natural to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
There really is no advantage to IRS on most racing surfaces as they are generally well maintained. Public roads, on the other hand, can give an advantage to the IRS over a SRA.
Ever heard of a place called Nelson Ledges? I don't think the place has been repaved since the '70s. It can be downright scary in a shifter kart but a hell of a lot of fun in my '14 V6/PP Mustang.
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #29
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
If this site had a "like" button this post would get one.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Well I am very torn on this topic, I know and love my Solid rear axle. I have come to know how to predict how the car will react under certain conditions, and it is relatively predictable. For daily driver and spirited driving on back roads I feel the live rear axle is more the sufficient for the task, however I feel that for a dedicated race car/track toy it is insufficient for very high speed maneuvering like what is found in wheel to wheel racing.
PonyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #31
Admin

Supporter
Admin

IRS was long overdue. For me, tracking my Mustang on the weekends at the local airport was a fun deal. My 2011 Mustang was at a huge disadvantage though with its solid axle.

It would however be nice if Ford were to offer both an IRS and solid axle option; this way the "straight line" drivers could have the solid axle, and those of us that enjoy the twisties on the track can have the IRS.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
IRS was long overdue. For me, tracking my Mustang on the weekends at the local airport was a fun deal. My 2011 Mustang was at a huge disadvantage though with its solid axle.

It would however be nice if Ford were to offer both an IRS and solid axle option; this way the "straight line" drivers could have the solid axle, and those of us that enjoy the twisties on the track can have the IRS.
yea, without having to buy the expensive cobra version of it would be pretty sweet. like, maybe the gt track pack vs a gt sport or something. or just gt has straight axle, and the gt sport comes with IRS and maybe slightly different suspension.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ford Racing talked about A conversion kit--"BUT""

That was almost a year ago just before the 2015's were out.
I have not heard or read anything about it since.
Just putting out a conversion kit would be great for some but probably not enough to make it cost effective for Ford Racing.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:22 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

If SRA is your thing, I guess we gotta grab up those 14s

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Thats not true at all, having raced SRA and IRS cars. Also lol ... most tracks are not in the "best" of shape unless they're like <10 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Only real benefit is being able to set the alignment on the IRS also. Can't change anything with the SRA.
This, or at least one main benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
You are right and that's the reason Ford went with IRS....Ride Comfort, not performance. Even COBO Camaros come with SRA's.
Not true either, the new track pack GT is over 2 seconds faster than the outgoing boss 302 around a track. The new chassis is an animal on track, it takes a fully prepped S197 to match a mild build S550. There's no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyDriver View Post
Well I am very torn on this topic, I know and love my Solid rear axle. I have come to know how to predict how the car will react under certain conditions, and it is relatively predictable. For daily driver and spirited driving on back roads I feel the live rear axle is more the sufficient for the task, however I feel that for a dedicated race car/track toy it is insufficient for very high speed maneuvering like what is found in wheel to wheel racing.
The mustang is / was very good on track, don't get me wrong, i loved it an had a ton of fun. However, there is no replacement for a proper IRS set up when it comes to powering out of a corner. It also does make a MASSIVE difference in comfort on the street. Its not something i ever noticed until i started driving a good IRS car though.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang