Base gauges to premium LCD screen gauges - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
Base gauges to premium LCD screen gauges

I have seen a thread before on another mustang forums claiming they were able to successfully install and convert premium gauges into their base GT with the track apps working. Now from what I understand the ECU of the v6 is not programmed the same as the v8 as far as track apps and things of that sort.
So I guess the question is, have any of you personally heard of anyone changing their gauges over and it actually working the way it is supposed to work?
I have been interested in possibly attempting the swap, if I know it is possible, or if I can get out without it costing me a substantial amount of money.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
I'm sure it's possible. Have wondered the same thing myself but time and cost may or may not be significant. Same issue here but going at it with tuner. Livewire and Diablo Trinity both have customizable gauge displays and run live data out of OCBII port. Each also do track apps 0-60, 1/4 mi, 0-100 etc.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Yea I have a SCT Livewire, but you know it would be nice to have the gauges to give it a cleaner look, and just to have in general lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I did it on my 14 V6 (which I no longer have). Followed the exact same process as the one on this forum.

How to install a 2013 Mustang Track Apps Instrument Cluster in a 2013 Base model GT
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the steps as I did them:
*Obtain a premium cluster
*Obtain the correct steering wheel button (left side with the arrow keys)
*Obtain the Ford VCM II tool and the IDS software (I used v86 and it worked fine)
*Make sure you have a laptop with Windows XP
*Get the As Built codes using the VIN of a car with a premium cluster and the same (or close to) options as your car
*Install the new cluster and steering wheel button
*Use the VCM II tool to update the As Built codes and do a PATS relearn
*Done!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

I was reading some of there posts, now would it have to be specifically a premium v6 cluster or would any premium cluster work? I'm guessing v6 only, may I ask where you got yours from? I saw they were talking about some sites to order it from, but I was reading some of the last pages, and people were having trouble ordering from some of them it looked like.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I used Auto Nation White Bear Lake. When you order the cluster they ask for the VIN because the part number is the same for a standard cluster and a premium cluster. Apparently it's the VIN that makes the difference. So, I gave them the VIN from the car I was using the As Built codes from. I just used Cars.com or Ebay to get a VIN. Then, they asked why I needed one and couldn't just go to my local dearler to get one. I told them that it was vandalized and wasn't covered under warranty, and that their price was cheaper. You basically have to lie if you want to get one. I felt bad, but got over it.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I did the swap on my base 13. I now have a premium 14 gt cluster in and everything works perfectly.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Cluster

Sent from LG G3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430136820708.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	181210  
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid719e View Post
I used Auto Nation White Bear Lake. When you order the cluster they ask for the VIN because the part number is the same for a standard cluster and a premium cluster. Apparently it's the VIN that makes the difference. So, I gave them the VIN from the car I was using the As Built codes from. I just used Cars.com or Ebay to get a VIN. Then, they asked why I needed one and couldn't just go to my local dearler to get one. I told them that it was vandalized and wasn't covered under warranty, and that their price was cheaper. You basically have to lie if you want to get one. I felt bad, but got over it.

How much was it?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't remember how much I paid, but it's currently $467 plus a core charge of $300. If you return the cluster you remove, you will get the core charge back.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER for 2013 Ford Mustang|DR3Z-10849-EA
Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

I did the swap also. You will need to obtain the VCM tool from some over the seas china web store. Like buyobdtool.com or w/e. The steering wheel button can be found usually on ebay. The 13/14 Premium clusters are EXTREMELY hard to find, unless you go directly through Ford (~$600). I found mine on car-parts.com. I had to call around to different junk yards in different states.

Unfortunately, the junkyards dont list what type of cluster it is. So you have to call each one and ask probing questions. Like how many gauges does it have, does it have the LCD screen in the center, etc. Most won't warranty them. So if you buy it from out of state, you take a risk. For me, the $150 paid off. The AS Built codes you will have to buy a temp subscription from the Ford/Motorcraft ASBuilt website database. (~$30)

The clusters on the car-parts.com website range from 100-300 dollars. So if you can do you due diligence and find the right one on there, it will pay off.

4k miles later, I am still enjoying my Premium cluster.

I actually converted my entire Base model to a Premium. ENTIRELY. From Cluster, to Leather seats, to Shaker sound system.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

You can search on here, FastFord and I have have had some pretty involved threads on here when we did ours. And you might even find the AS Built codes you need in our threads.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
Kevin.Cook

As far as your other question, if I am going to swap a cluster, I would want the 13/14 Premium one. Don't go for the one like the 11/12. Would seem like a waste IMO. My Premium cluster came from a 2013 V6 and mine is a 2014. GTs should also work as long as you got the right AS Built codes from a Premium V6 Mustang with the same features as yours. And by this, I mean stuff like Reverse Sensors. Because if it doesn't, your reverse sensors will still work, but the option/setting for it will not be accessible in the Premium cluster's menu.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Ah ok, Thanks for the helpful information, If I do end up going for the swap I may see if our local ford dealership that helps out our Mustang club might bend the rules a bit and order me one. If not I will do like what you said and do some poking around.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
Kevin.Cook

Well, for the cluster ordering from Ford, just order it online. Use a vin from another premium newer mustang. If they ask for a reason for replacement, just say your old one was vandalized. Then just program it with the vcm tool when you get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang