Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Base gauges to premium LCD screen gauges

7K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Kevin.Cook 
#1 ·
I have seen a thread before on another mustang forums claiming they were able to successfully install and convert premium gauges into their base GT with the track apps working. Now from what I understand the ECU of the v6 is not programmed the same as the v8 as far as track apps and things of that sort.
So I guess the question is, have any of you personally heard of anyone changing their gauges over and it actually working the way it is supposed to work?
I have been interested in possibly attempting the swap, if I know it is possible, or if I can get out without it costing me a substantial amount of money.

#2 ·
I'm sure it's possible. Have wondered the same thing myself but time and cost may or may not be significant. Same issue here but going at it with tuner. Livewire and Diablo Trinity both have customizable gauge displays and run live data out of OCBII port. Each also do track apps 0-60, 1/4 mi, 0-100 etc.

#3 ·
Yea I have a SCT Livewire, but you know it would be nice to have the gauges to give it a cleaner look, and just to have in general lol.

#5 ·
Here are the steps as I did them:
*Obtain a premium cluster
*Obtain the correct steering wheel button (left side with the arrow keys)
*Obtain the Ford VCM II tool and the IDS software (I used v86 and it worked fine)
*Make sure you have a laptop with Windows XP
*Get the As Built codes using the VIN of a car with a premium cluster and the same (or close to) options as your car
*Install the new cluster and steering wheel button
*Use the VCM II tool to update the As Built codes and do a PATS relearn
*Done!

#6 ·
I was reading some of there posts, now would it have to be specifically a premium v6 cluster or would any premium cluster work? I'm guessing v6 only, may I ask where you got yours from? I saw they were talking about some sites to order it from, but I was reading some of the last pages, and people were having trouble ordering from some of them it looked like.

#7 ·
I used Auto Nation White Bear Lake. When you order the cluster they ask for the VIN because the part number is the same for a standard cluster and a premium cluster. Apparently it's the VIN that makes the difference. So, I gave them the VIN from the car I was using the As Built codes from. I just used Cars.com or Ebay to get a VIN. Then, they asked why I needed one and couldn't just go to my local dearler to get one. I told them that it was vandalized and wasn't covered under warranty, and that their price was cheaper. You basically have to lie if you want to get one. I felt bad, but got over it.

G
#12 ·
I did the swap also. You will need to obtain the VCM tool from some over the seas china web store. Like buyobdtool.com or w/e. The steering wheel button can be found usually on ebay. The 13/14 Premium clusters are EXTREMELY hard to find, unless you go directly through Ford (~$600). I found mine on car-parts.com. I had to call around to different junk yards in different states.

Unfortunately, the junkyards dont list what type of cluster it is. So you have to call each one and ask probing questions. Like how many gauges does it have, does it have the LCD screen in the center, etc. Most won't warranty them. So if you buy it from out of state, you take a risk. For me, the $150 paid off. :) The AS Built codes you will have to buy a temp subscription from the Ford/Motorcraft ASBuilt website database. (~$30)

The clusters on the car-parts.com website range from 100-300 dollars. So if you can do you due diligence and find the right one on there, it will pay off.

4k miles later, I am still enjoying my Premium cluster.

I actually converted my entire Base model to a Premium. ENTIRELY. From Cluster, to Leather seats, to Shaker sound system.

G
#14 ·
As far as your other question, if I am going to swap a cluster, I would want the 13/14 Premium one. Don't go for the one like the 11/12. Would seem like a waste IMO. My Premium cluster came from a 2013 V6 and mine is a 2014. GTs should also work as long as you got the right AS Built codes from a Premium V6 Mustang with the same features as yours. And by this, I mean stuff like Reverse Sensors. Because if it doesn't, your reverse sensors will still work, but the option/setting for it will not be accessible in the Premium cluster's menu.

#15 ·
Ah ok, Thanks for the helpful information, If I do end up going for the swap I may see if our local ford dealership that helps out our Mustang club might bend the rules a bit and order me one. If not I will do like what you said and do some poking around.

G
#16 ·
Well, for the cluster ordering from Ford, just order it online. Use a vin from another premium newer mustang. If they ask for a reason for replacement, just say your old one was vandalized. Then just program it with the vcm tool when you get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.