Weird gas hose? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Weird gas hose?

Im wondering if this normal?? I put in some Lucas lubricant and I heard something leaking on the floor. When I look underneath it's coming from this little hose that looks like it's suppose to be there but idk I've never heard or seen this any ideas???

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1430148982426.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	181219   Click image for larger version

Name:	1430148993447.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	181220  

luisagordo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisagordo31 View Post
Im wondering if this normal?? I put in some Lucas lubricant and I heard something leaking on the floor. When I look underneath it's coming from this little hose that looks like it's suppose to be there but idk I've never heard or seen this any ideas???

Is that in the area of the gas fill? Gas fill overflow maybe?
Where did you put the Lucas?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe it can be, but I put gas yesterday and didn't top off. I also drove 40 miles today. I put the Lucas in the gas tank. The car is running fine now but idk if I should be concerned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
when you added the Lucas did you use the white plastic funnel that is in the trunk? If not your Lucas is on the floor and overflow area of your gas fill.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
when you added the Lucas did you use the white plastic funnel that is in the trunk? If not your Lucas is on the floor and overflow area of your gas fill.
Yea a a a u didn't use that... I've put liquids without it before so I thought it might have worked again. Thanks!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had the same thing happen when I tried to add some Techron. Found out you have to push the neck of the bottle well past the little silver flapper to avoid dumping it all over the ground through that overflow tube. Once I pushed the bottle in far enough, I was able to do it without using the little Ford-supplied funnel.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
This. You can also buy identical funnels (minus the Ford logo that triples the price) at Wally World.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:28 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Be very, very, careful pushing anything other than the supplied funnel down the filler neck. If you damage that flap in the filler neck, it will set a code, and the filler neck tube has to be replaced. Ford went to the "gas cap less" style filler neck, and that flap is part of the seal to prevent fuel or fumes to escape out. The tube supplied should be used to pour in any additives to prevent damage.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
If you haven't used the Ford style funnel while putting in TechRon or Seafoam or whatever, you can rest assured it never made it to your tank And you poured $8 into the overflow tube or ground. Like Bucko said, don't try without the funnel. And for heavens sake, don't "top off" your tank. When the pump stops and the amount of gallons looks right for how much you needed, just stop.
this has been a thing for like five years now.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
If you haven't used the Ford style funnel while putting in TechRon or Seafoam or whatever, you can rest assured it never made it to your tank And you poured $8 into the overflow tube or ground. Like Bucko said, don't try without the funnel.
It's possible to do it without the funnel and get it into the gas tank, as I've done it. You have to push kinda hard to get past the flapper, but it is possible. I will heed the advice to use the funnel in the future so as to avoid the possibility of damage, the feel of pushing the funnel in was the same as pushing the neck of Techron bottle in, and I have no codes showing so I've not damaged anything so far.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:37 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It's the "push hard" thing that can cause the flap to poorly seal the opening when you remove the container. For this reason, the funnel is/was supplied.

If you've been fortunate in getting it to work without the funnel, consider yourself lucky.

There have been a few of these filler necks reportedly replaced on another forum I visit, due to this. Just passing along the information so that others can prevent a costly mistake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang