Rear seat delete - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Rear seat delete

Lately I have been wanting to reduce weight from my mustang. Today I am taking out the back seats. I saw some pics of a rear seat delete and it shows all the metal and wires under the seats. I looked up the rear seat delete on AM and it seemed to much for just carpet and some type of board. My question to you in what materials should I use for this "board"? I have found some carpet I am going to use, its just regular black carpet. What should the board be constructed of?
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Most of the ones I've seen are thin ply wood. I've seen guys make them in f bodies and what worked well for them is get some sheets of styrofoam so that they can get the shape right around the seats and body panels. Then trace to the wood and then cover in carpet.

Depending on how complex you wanted to go I've seen guys make raised deletes with storage compartments built into them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRed3.7 View Post
Lately I have been wanting to reduce weight from my mustang. Today I am taking out the back seats. I saw some pics of a rear seat delete and it shows all the metal and wires under the seats. I looked up the rear seat delete on AM and it seemed to much for just carpet and some type of board. My question to you in what materials should I use for this "board"? I have found some carpet I am going to use, its just regular black carpet. What should the board be constructed of?

ply wood... i had one and they are junk.. your maybe saving 20lbs at the most.. i dont remember the rear seats being heavy at all... and you're gonna get increased road noise as well..

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015, 03:38 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You will gain less than 20 pounds of weight difference in removing the back seat; not really worth it. And as others stated, the road noise will increase.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If you're like me, you're better off losing your personal spare tire (the one around your waist), then the 20lbs you'd save removing the backseat
Strata197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

+1 on road noise. The new edges especially. that back seat cushion is a massive sound buffer. not much in weight savings, unless you just remove the seat and leave it like it is.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Easy way to remove weight and get better MPG and perhaps more speed:

1) Remove parts that you think do nothing. Start engine.
2) Continue with step 1; if engine does not start and run, put last removed part back on.

Engine weight reduction mod complete.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Here it is!

Still need to do the top. Ill have to do that this weekend.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

Personally I'm not a huge fan of rear seat deletes, being because increased road noise and little gain from it. But to each their own! It'd be wrong to tell you not to do this, your own car after all, right?
89FoxBody50LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #10

Region: Ohio
The only reason I can see for removing the back seat is to put in an x-brace like the Laguna Seca edition of the Boss uses to stiffen the chassis.
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
The only reason I can see for removing the back seat is to put in an x-brace like the Laguna Seca edition of the Boss uses to stiffen the chassis.
Yep! I am going to add a brace/bar back there soon!
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I love mine. Very clean and made of cheap ply board wrapped in carpet. Weighs 5 pounds total, my leather seats were 60 lbs. you definitely feel it when braking.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If you remove all the seatbelts & seat mounting parts from the backseats you might pick up a couple extra lbs as well.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
If you remove all the seatbelts & seat mounting parts from the backseats you might pick up a couple extra lbs as well.
Thinking about it! Gonna remove the brakets for the top of the seats for sure. Might keep the seat belts just incase i ever need to put the seats back in. Are the belts locktight?
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Yeah.. They are. You'll take out every piece of interior you have to get the rear deck out and access to the seat belts. I just tucked mine as a safety thing in case I need the seats back in or for insurance purposes
Old 05-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Yeah.. They are. You'll take out every piece of interior you have to get the rear deck out and access to the seat belts. I just tucked mine as a safety thing in case I need the seats back in or for insurance purposes
Good idea! Ya I don't wanna strip the back from everything just to get to the seat belts. Well took the seats out and when I get to the drags a friend is gonna keep my spare in his car. I'm curious to see if there is a time difference.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have to agree with the other guys. It wont do much in weight reduction. Keeping your car at a consistent 1/4 full of gas will reduce more weight than most any "weight reduction mod".
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #18
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
I have to agree with the other guys. It wont do much in weight reduction. Keeping your car at a consistent 1/4 full of gas will reduce more weight than most any "weight reduction mod".

Keeping it 1/4 tank consistently will also burn the fuel pump up a lot quicker.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ran about .05 better without the seats lol or just got a better lanch
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Every pound does matter. I took out my rear seats and the spare and the jack at the same time and noticed a difference. I'll be taking out my sound deadening and going to race seats over summer, that should cut around another 80-90lbs.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Every pound does matter. I took out my rear seats and the spare and the jack at the same time and noticed a difference. I'll be taking out my sound deadening and going to race seats over summer, that should cut around another 80-90lbs.

Good seats are expensive! I think my next upgrades will be in the suspension department
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Good point. Thats a possability. I should have put in there that i DO NOT recommend doing that all the time, but i idea is there. 3/4's of tank of gas weighs quite a bit; more than the rear seats. maybe even the front and rear combined (not sure how much they weigh but im sure its close.

However remove those rears, change out the heavy stock front seats and also get some lighter, smaller diameter wheels and you will lose a decent amount of excess weight, and rotational mass.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It varies depending on various conditions, but for the sake of this discussion lets say 1 gallon of gasoline is about 6.5 lbs. Over 12 gallons, thats about 80 lbs. However, it is low, and near the rear axle, so not really detrimental as far as getting off the line, or traction is concerned, but a lot of weight nonetheless. Really you should be focusing on removing weight from the nose, but obviously low gas and removing rear seats are "free" mods.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Good point. Thats a possability. I should have put in there that i DO NOT recommend doing that all the time, but i idea is there. 3/4's of tank of gas weighs quite a bit; more than the rear seats. maybe even the front and rear combined (not sure how much they weigh but im sure its close.
6.3 lbs per gallon. (fun fact, water is 8.3 lb per gallon.)
so a full tank of gas, 94.5 lbs (15 gallons, close enough)
3/4 tank about 71 lbs.
half tank, roughly 47.25.
quarter tank 23.6 lbs.

Quote:
how so? i thought the pump was fine as long as gasoline runs through it? Or are you reffering to the habit of running out of gas to the point of engine shutting off?
Splash causing pockets of air?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang