Yesterday was not a good day - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Yesterday was not a good day

So yesterday I decided to get rid of the plasti dip I placed on the wheels last year. Pretty surprised they lasted this long but I wanted them gone. So as I take out my breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts before jacking the car up I noticed that the 13/18' socket doesn't fit on any of the lug nuts on the driver side. So by the looks of it the tech at the dealer over tighten my lug nuts and the lug bolt pushed into the cap of the nut flare out the edges just enough to keep the socket from going on. So I used the next size up in my set to loosen the front driver wheel. Then had to go to 2 different dealerships to buy 10 lugs to replace the driver side ones. Spent ALL DAY just taking the plasti dip off my wheels, because I didn't do it right the first time, and it was really late when I put my wheels back on to torque them down. So I take out my torque wrench set it to 100ft/lbs, like the manual says and get to work. The first nut on the driver side felt wrong, very wrong as if the nut could go on for ever but the wrench clicked, so I started on the next one, same thing felt very wrong and after a couple of turns, SNAP there goes the bolt

Now at this point I'm about to beat someones face in because I had just wasted the entire day on the wheels, didn't get do anything fun, or finish my errands, it was late and I was very tired. After calming down a bit I decided to go a head and see if anymore were screwed. Turns out the next one was

Now I'm furious because I just spent $60 buying new lug nuts for that wheel and 2 of them are gone.

So what I think happen is either, one the dealer tech tighten the nuts to much, flared the nut (ruining it) and stretched the bolt, weaken it. Or two the dealerships I got the lug nuts from gave the wrong lug nuts and they were to short, so the bolt bottomed out then snapped the bolt, which I don't think is the case because all the baggies have the same part number and I specifically told them it's for a 2014 Ford mustang V6 with stock 17's.

I'm pretty sure it was the dealers fault because I always torque things down with the proper tools and I've worked at dealership and have seen techs "torque" wheels down with the impact, plus the dealer was the last one to touch my wheels.

I think the dealer should pay for the lug nuts and replace the hubs on the drivers side, because I don't trust them anymore, and I'm sure I did everything right, step torqued the nuts, used the proper tool with the right torque setting, 100ft/lbs. and I'm pretty confident I picked up the right lug nuts from the dealerships.

What do you guys think?

Here's what my wheel looks like now. Sorry for the insanely crappy pic
AgentGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I take my car to a local shop for changing winter tires to summer tires. I stand right there and watch. I give them my socket and give them my torque wrench (100) lbs. of torque. No impact gun will be used to put on any lug nuts.

Sorry to hear about your really "SUC*Y Day"!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sucks OP! I've been doing mine and my wife's tires for almost 20 years, switching from winter to summer every year with no tq wrench, just common sense.....tighten wheels, not overkill, and in a week check again, never a loose lug or snapped bolt. I've seen over the years mechanics just grab their guns and tighten the **** out of them at your typical hammer mechanic garage. My brother in law had his tighten so hard that the next garage couldn't get them off after the winter and he had to buy some specific tool to break them off!

Changing tires isn't rocket science, and with a little common sense anyone should be be able to do it with or without a tq wrench.

Sorry to hear about your ****ty day.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Sucks OP! I've been doing mine and my wife's tires for almost 20 years, switching from winter to summer every year with no tq wrench, just common sense.....tighten wheels, not overkill, and in a week check again, never a loose lug or snapped bolt. I've seen over the years mechanics just grab their guns and tighten the **** out of them at your typical hammer mechanic garage. My brother in law had his tighten so hard that the next garage couldn't get them off after the winter and he had to buy some specific tool to break them off!

Changing tires isn't rocket science, and with a little common sense anyone should be be able to do it with or without a tq wrench.

Sorry to hear about your ****ty day.

Sent from LG G3.
Yeah, I think I'll just take my maintenance into my own hands I only had the dealer do it because it's new, it was cold and I'm lazy. But I guess I'm paying for that.

I know what you mean, I saw the same thing when I worked at a dealership, techs doing basic maintenance, changing the lube, rotating tires and when it comes time to tighten them, it's just BZZZZZZ, and they figure it's good enough.

I only use the torque wrench because I'm very anal about doing things to spec, that way if something were to go wrong it wouldn't be my fault.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah power torque wrench is like jumbo shrimp - it's an oxymoron. The whole idea of a torque rating is that you want to get it right and not over/under because damage can happen either way. Had an aluminum oil pan once that some idiot used a power gun on and I had to end up having the bolt drilled out and the damn thing re-tapped. I don't even like using power tools anywhere on my car period.

2014 Sterling Grey FP6 w/ Tech package
Current Mods: Gibson exhaust; MMD hood scoop and side scoops; Tinted head lights, tail lights and all reflectors.
Dark_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Having worked at a tire shop, it sounds like the mechanic was to lazy to grab the wobble stick. The wobble sticks prevent you from going over a certain torque no matter how high or long you keep the gun on.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

I would talk to your dealer....(be polite!)

see what they say. I'm a believer in it's how you handle mistakes that determines what type of person you are give them a chance mayhap they'll impress (surprise) you

$60 bucks for non-locking lugs?????? why?
Old 05-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
We go to a mom and pop type shop and they use torque wrench for everything. They don't want to be responsible, but sounds pretty responsible to me. Why we always go back.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

see what they say. I'm a believer in it's how you handle mistakes that determines what type of person you are give them a chance mayhap they'll impress (surprise) you

Each lug is about $5-$5.5 plus tax and I had to get them at a dealership because the auto zone one O'reillys couldn't match them and would have to order them.

And I agree with handling it like a gent. I called them this morning and just stated the facts about what happened. Noticed the lug nuts were screwed, bought some more, finished what I was doing on the car, step torqued the wheels and snap.

The dealer should be getting my here pretty soon. Tow truck just picked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

good luck..keep us posted

forgot to add I would make a point of bringing my torque wrench as part of my proof that "I'm not an idiot"

yeah, I know it'll take more proof than that
Old 05-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I really like to do my own tire rotations but can't anymore.

Where I go ( My Dealer) I have the same guy do any work on my Mustang (Willie) He is an old guy and very good and knowledgeable as well as not sloppy when working on my car.
When he does the service he always fill my tires with nitrogen, When I get my tires rotated he always uses the torque tube on the air wrench.
As much as I do trust him, I am there. I do not let my Mustang out of my sight.
Willie does let me wipe off the inside of my wheels when he is changing my oil and filters. Easy when on the lift.

Air wrenches are OK with a person that care what they are doing ,but I think when a LAZY mechanic has one it could lead to trouble. Ask anyone that uses a jiffy lube rip off place.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

Yup, agree and take the torque wrench, your receipts and the broken studs w lug nuts on them.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well it looks like my car is all fixed but it's still going to cost me. According to the service manager I talked too all of their techs are provided with something called a wobble stick that will keep an impact from over tightening a bolt/nut. Plus a broken bolt is not a warranty item so Firs won't cover it.

However after telling him everything I did on Saturday, putting my wheels back on, explaining it wasn't my fault I only have to pay $60 for parts, so I don't have to pay for labor. So it's a win I'll take, since I get to pick up my car today.

Apparently roadside assistance comes with all new cars that have a warranty. It'll tow out car for non warranty items for free. If you didn't know, like me, now you do! 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang