Just a scratch - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #36
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Just a scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
I guess it depends on the shop. Most shops I deal with are like "insurance monies, lolololol get this dude a new bumper!" The new one may be "recycled" but a quality shop won't use a repaired AND recycled part. Most likely it'll be a pristine part where the car it came off of was hit at the other end. Why would they repair a recycled part when they could have tried to repair the original?

A quality body shop will absolutely do this. They don't have a say. The insurance company dictates this. I have worked at body shops. The last one I worked for was a certified State Farm drop off. This meant we could do the estimate and decide which parts needed to be repaired or replaced ect. But if we got caught replacing something like this bumper for a brand new one vs a reconditioned one or simply repairing this one, we could lose the ability to do our own estimates and lose the State Farm certified drop tag. This would have lost the shop hundreds of thousands. So they would never risk it.

I love it when people think they can always get new parts. You would never know the difference. They all need to be sanded on and prepped dude.

And to answer your original question, they swap them to save time. Basically used reconditioned bumpers can be delivered in the morning, go straight to paint back on the car after lunch and customer picks up car by 4pm. Saves insurance co on rental cars, gets them in and out and the next one is getting worked on.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Dude take some rubbing compound to that. It'll come right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
A quality body shop will absolutely do this. They don't have a say. The insurance company dictates this. I have worked at body shops. The last one I worked for was a certified State Farm drop off. This meant we could do the estimate and decide which parts needed to be repaired or replaced ect. But if we got caught replacing something like this bumper for a brand new one vs a reconditioned one or simply repairing this one, we could lose the ability to do our own estimates and lose the State Farm certified drop tag. This would have lost the shop hundreds of thousands. So they would never risk it.

I love it when people think they can always get new parts. You would never know the difference. They all need to be sanded on and prepped dude.

And to answer your original question, they swap them to save time. Basically used reconditioned bumpers can be delivered in the morning, go straight to paint back on the car after lunch and customer picks up car by 4pm. Saves insurance co on rental cars, gets them in and out and the next one is getting worked on.

I wasn't talking new OEM parts. And of coarse they have to sand and prep. But most times(depending on the insurance company) they are required to use top tier recycled parts, never repaired ****. Having worked for two major insurance companies, one of which had 9 sub companies, none of them would allow a repaired(fillers, epoxy) part to be used. But sure as ****, unless your car is brand new, or you have an OEM endorsement, you will almost never get a new OEM bumper.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysh View Post
I wasn't talking new OEM parts. And of coarse they have to sand and prep. But most times(depending on the insurance company) they are required to use top tier recycled parts, never repaired ****. Having worked for two major insurance companies, one of which had 9 sub companies, none of them would allow a repaired(fillers, epoxy) part to be used. But sure as ****, unless your car is brand new, or you have an OEM endorsement, you will almost never get a new OEM bumper.

I'm pretty sure you just said the same thing I said earlier. lol. Their is no difference in "recycled" or "reconditioned". They both have to be reworked and painted. Both are OEM parts. The car owner will never know the difference between

A. Same bumper they had fixed
B. Different bumper also fixed
C. New bumper

I dare anyone to try. You will fail.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I'm pretty sure you just said the same thing I said earlier. lol. Their is no difference in "recycled" or "reconditioned". They both have to be reworked and painted. Both are OEM parts. The car owner will never know the difference between

A. Same bumper they had fixed
B. Different bumper also fixed
C. New bumper

I dare anyone to try. You will fail.

Lol I think we are saying the same thing, but using different words. Carry on.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you use rubbing compound make sure it's clear coat safe. I just realized you don't have the cheaper plastic bumper cover I have so yeah no Autozone paint for you. Insurance claim.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Respray

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Fariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

An SUV and I backed out of parking spaces at the same time and his trailer /tow bar made a perfect puncture in my rear bumper (2014). Equally at fault, no damage to him. Quotes at ~$1,200 to replace bumper. I am taking a chance on having a body shop try to repair for $350. Might not look perfect but maybe I can live with it. Not worth higher rates for making claim.
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang