2012 leaking coolant. Help! - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Myself and others have been lucky to have ours covered under warranty. It is a shame that Ford won't cover ALL of the failures out there. There should be a recall imo.

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #72
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Hoses and other rubber parts are not covered because they are subject to "normal wear and tear" like brake pads. Why that hose is considered the "causal part" is what is suspect. The hose did not fail, it was defective from the start because it was missing the check valve. Why that is not Fords fault is beyond me. I am glad I got the new hose, now if the pump fails at less than 50,000 miles they have no excuse.
This is America, and we specialize in avoiding responsibility!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:38 AM   #73
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I saw in the other thread that someone else did have it covered. I would fight the denial of wtty if they claimed the hose was at fault. Unless the hose was rotted/broken I think you would have a good case that it was a design flaw NOT the hose. I'd also suggest if yours leaks to replace the hose with the updated version B4 trying for wtty and pretend ignorance (or in my case it ain't pretend) any denial of wtty for this is wrong!
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just ordered my hose. Thanks for the heads up everyone
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #75
Registered Member

Regular

Got mine from StrangeMud at the New England cruise this morning and installed it at the truck stop...took about 15 minutes, about 13 of which were dealing with the goofy Ford hose clips.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:08 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine came in. I used screw on hose clamps. I 'think' the factory hose clamps are made the way they are, is to speed up production on the assembly line. Maybe?
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #77
Staff

Regular
Staff

I imagine you can get a tool with pins on it that go into the little holes on the ears it would be nice if you do it all day.

I also wonder if my butt dyno is off as after Tym installed his he kept up with a Shelby GT500 for 100+ miles of hard driving.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #78
Registered Member

Regular

Totally adds 75 hp.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hose arrived today. Installed, clips were a pain, but its done. Took off tank end first, only lost an ounce or so of coolant.
My package says its an official Ford part, but it only feels like maybe 35 HP ??
Hope I didn't get ripped off.
Thanks all for the info on this item/TSB.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #80
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Yep, exactly what happened to me. Hose is the "causal part". Stupid loophole. I don't know how ponie1992 got it covered. Maybe you can try different dealers and see if one will be as nice as his was.

In the meantime, if you get the gurgling sound, top off the coolant and burp the system. Just a band-aid until you get the leak fixed, but will prevent you from running hot or causing more damage by having air run through your system.
Just to be clear, how do you "burp" the system?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #81
Registered Member

Regular

^ Put a towel over your shoulder and...sorry, couldn't resist!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Just to be clear, how do you "burp" the system?
Make sure the car is cold. Open the cap on the degas bottle. Start the car. Turn the heat and the fan all the way up. Then you just let the car idle for a long time. I did it for like 30 minutes. If you look online some sites say 15-30, others say 45-60... I didn't notice any more bubbles coming out the degas bottle for a while so I called it at 30. Then just turn the car off and fill up with more coolant if needed.

That's what I did, and that was my first time burping a cooling system, so if anyone more experienced has any other suggestions or thinks I did something wrong, please chime in.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

That's a good way to get out air in the coolant but it should not be needed because that is what that little hose we are all replacing is for. As far as I can see it's only purpose is to remove air. It is at the highest point in the system so air will be forced into the bottle thru it. That's why it needs a check valve so air does not go the other way. How Ford missed that for 5 years is another story.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:21 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a good way to get out air in the coolant but it should not be needed because that is what that little hose we are all replacing is for. As far as I can see it's only purpose is to remove air. It is at the highest point in the system so air will be forced into the bottle thru it. That's why it needs a check valve so air does not go the other way. How Ford missed that for 5 years is another story.
Read the beginning of the thread. I needed to do it because I had the problem of air in the system already and needed get the air out of the system. My coolant level was very low and I was getting the gurgling/gushing sound under the dash indicative of air in the heater core. Unlike ponie1992, my dealer didn't cover it under warranty because that TSB says the overflow hose is the causal part, so I just bought the parts myself and purged the air that was already in there using the burping method. You guys are now buying the hose to prevent getting the issue in the first place, so what you said applied to you guys, but not to those like me who already got air in the system.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:23 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh wait... are you saying that even with air already in the system that the new hose would get the air out?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:21 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh wait... are you saying that even with air already in the system that the new hose would get the air out?
Like I said ,what else is it for? It probably won't work when coolant gets really low, but yea it will remove air under normal circumstances. Look where it is attached.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:52 AM   #87
Staff

Regular
Staff

it's supposed to. The check valve SHOULD prevent air pressure from the overflow tank from making the pump "loose prime" if the degas hose went to the bottom of the reservoir the check valve would not be needed.

^^^theory from an Industrial Mechanic
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #88
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Make sure the car is cold. Open the cap on the degas bottle. Start the car. Turn the heat and the fan all the way up. Then you just let the car idle for a long time. I did it for like 30 minutes. If you look online some sites say 15-30, others say 45-60... I didn't notice any more bubbles coming out the degas bottle for a while so I called it at 30. Then just turn the car off and fill up with more coolant if needed.

That's what I did, and that was my first time burping a cooling system, so if anyone more experienced has any other suggestions or thinks I did something wrong, please chime in.
Thank you, really appreciate it. Couldn't hurt to do it anyway after I install the new hose. Thanks again
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
it's supposed to. The check valve SHOULD prevent air pressure from the overflow tank from making the pump "loose prime" if the degas hose went to the bottom of the reservoir the check valve would not be needed.

^^^theory from an Industrial Mechanic
I see what you're saying. On the last thing you said about the location of the overflow hose, however, would it still be acting as an overflow hose if it was at the bottom of the degas bottle? Gettin' very curious about how this system works...
Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #90
Registered Member

Regular

My sense is that the issue the revised hose fixes probably doesn't manifest unless your coolant level is low, because that would put you at more risk of having air sucked into the pump.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:36 AM   #91
Staff

Regular
Staff

Sakib,

the tank is the overflow tank designed to account for how water will expand when it gets heated...normally you'll have a hose into the bottom of it which will allow water into it/out of it as temp changes. idk how often degassing hoses are use but think if the tank was high and the hose went into the bottom any type of extra degassing wouldn't be needed. I do know from working with pumps they can become air bound from pressure built up in them and loose their prime which can cause failure of the pump. The suggestion to run with the cap unscrewed is a good one you can go for a small gentle ride (diner or store) instead of the idling. My old 4.0 Ranger was a nightmare to bleed and after doing the h20 pump I had to run it with the front end up on ramps to get the air out.

sorry your dealer wasn't helpful...that ain't right.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sakib,

the tank is the overflow tank designed to account for how water will expand when it gets heated...normally you'll have a hose into the bottom of it which will allow water into it/out of it as temp changes. idk how often degassing hoses are use but think if the tank was high and the hose went into the bottom any type of extra degassing wouldn't be needed. I do know from working with pumps they can become air bound from pressure built up in them and loose their prime which can cause failure of the pump. The suggestion to run with the cap unscrewed is a good one you can go for a small gentle ride (diner or store) instead of the idling. My old 4.0 Ranger was a nightmare to bleed and after doing the h20 pump I had to run it with the front end up on ramps to get the air out.

sorry your dealer wasn't helpful...that ain't right.
I understand now. Thanks!

So, I did not change my water pump yet, even though I had the problem. I simply refilled the coolant, bled the air, and changed the hose. The coolant level has not gone down much after driving about 3,000 miles now. I never noticed any drops of coolant either on the floor or around the pump. I'm thinking it is not damaged. Do you think I should change the pump anyway? My coolant level was very low when I had the gurgling noise. Is there a way the level could have gotten low and air gotten in the system if there is no leak? Could there be a very small leak that wouldn't be noticeable in 3,000 miles? FYI my car had 44K miles when the problem presented, now 47K.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #93
Staff

Regular
Staff

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

for others I still recommend replacing the hose as a preventative measure but unless my pump was leaking I wouldn't replace it. w/o insulting keep an eye on the fluid level but normally pumps don't fail all at once they tend to develop leaks 1st. Looking at the pump it does seem rather easy to get to which is nice.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
if it ain't broke don't fix it.

for others I still recommend replacing the hose as a preventative measure but unless my pump was leaking I wouldn't replace it. w/o insulting keep an eye on the fluid level but normally pumps don't fail all at once they tend to develop leaks 1st. Looking at the pump it does seem rather easy to get to which is nice.
I agree. But any idea how it got that low in the first place? I remember checking it in January when I went to the track, it was fine, then in March it was super low, almost to the bottom of the degas bottle. How could I lose so much coolant and get air in the system, which is a sealed system, if there wasn't a leak?

Yes, ever since having this issue I've been checking the level every few days.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #95
Registered Member

Regular

^ Could have been a small leak in a hose, loose cap, anything, assuming you checked the level only when the engine was cold. I agree with Mud, just keep an eye on it now and if the level starts dropping again, investigate further.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #96
Staff

Regular
Staff

Thirsty kitty?

poor impulse control
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #97
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thirsty kitty?

poor impulse control
Then...dead kitty. LOL.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #98

Region: North Carolina
I got burned today on that one. 57,800 on my stang....$500 repair, pump is gone and check valve hose being installed. Technical bulletin has been issued, but told by FORD to hold onto my receipt "in case" it gets recalled. It's defective equipment that they know about. I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, and NHTSA just in case they can get something going....luckily I was at home when my went. But if yours is leaking at all, get it replaced. Mine did twice on occasion before it went and I mean miles in between.
sherlock976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #99

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock976 View Post
I got burned today on that one. 57,800 on my stang....$500 repair, pump is gone and check valve hose being installed. Technical bulletin has been issued, but told by FORD to hold onto my receipt "in case" it gets recalled. It's defective equipment that they know about. I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, and NHTSA just in case they can get something going....luckily I was at home when my went. But if yours is leaking at all, get it replaced. Mine did twice on occasion before it went and I mean miles in between.
I am digging up this older thread , hopefully to help someone.

There is a Ford rep that seems to help out folks on another Ford forum.....it may be worth a shot contacting that person to see what she says. I posted my question about whether or not the pump is covered under warranty or not even if the orig hose was the valaveless one....will see what she says.

Water pump failure 27k miles. Help? - Ford Mustang Forum

That said, it seems just WRONG that an OEM part that is designed incorrectly and which causes a covered part to fail could cause that part to NOT be covered. It seems hit or miss when you look at different folks posting on different forums....some are covered no problem, others have the same result as you.....

Hoping the rep sheds some light on this! And I hope this helps someone.
shadango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
They should take care of that Ford is usually pretty good. Dodge however is HORRIBLE I think they must be hurting for money because they are flat out not covering ****. I wanted to buy a Challenger but they hosed me on the transmission in my Charger so I couldn't bring myself to giving them my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #101

This thread made me join forum. Changed the hose as preventative, 43 k so far and no problems hopeful that will continue.
saxdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #102
Staff

Regular
Staff

Hey dogg,

welcome to MEVO lots of good info here. But we expect pics of your ride
Old 11-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
I've seen a handful of threads with bad water pumps
what he said/water pump
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:56 AM   #104

Quote:
Hey dogg,

welcome to MEVO lots of good info here. But we expect pics of your ride

Thanks mud, I need to get on that! Needs a good wash first though...haha
saxdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #105

Region: Other
Send a message via ICQ to GTSSSSS
Elevate the car. Simply jacking up the front end of your vehicle lifts your radiator to a point that is higher than the rest of the cooling system. This will help force air pockets closed and dissipate air bubbles into the atmosphere. When elevating your vehicle, make sure that the radiator cap or reservoir tank cap is loose, to help speed the process
GTSSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang