Doing Suspension upgrades in the Fall - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Doing Suspension upgrades in the Fall

I read the beginners guide to modding the V6s. However, I am new to modifying the suspensions on these cars. So I am a little slower on wrapping my head around all of this new information. I am sure Voltwings might comment

I am looking to replace my "Performance Pack" suspension with an aftermarket one from AM in the Fall. I cannot buy it now because I am also going to be doing headers and a few other things, and I want to get everything done at once at the shop as I can get a killer deal on the labor if I do this. So in the meantime, I am saving. In the end, I believe everything will cost 2500-3000. This is suspension, brakes, a cosmetic mod, and headers. Was going to buy the Accel super coils but I doubt that will do anything so I will probably opt out of that one. Leaving my gears alone at 3.31 because I do alot of highway driving.

I am not too much worried about money if I can do this right. Except, I am not doing the Watts Link upgrade for $900

I am looking at the Eibach Pro suspension parts (Springs, shocks, and struts). I am fairly certain I will need a Panhard bar. However, I read all over the forum of people doing Lower Control Arms, Upper Control Arms, Relocation Brackets, Camber Bolts, etc, etc.

What is exactly needed if I add these Eibach parts to my car? I will not be drag racing the car or anything. I want a more aggressive stance but I don't want to add things that won't be utilized since I am not racing. I am not looking to go FI or add Spray later. Just bolt on stuff. So I will not be getting to 400+ HP.

Since this is only a 1 inch drop, I wasn't sure what will be the requirements on parts.

Any and almost all comments are appreciated. I say almost because I am sure I will get some sarcasm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
as far as this drop is concerned, the only things i'd say you "need" are going to be the adjustable panhard bar, and LCA brackets to compensate for the drop. I'd also be wary of the camber bolts. I had a set on my car, but after coming across a few reports of them breaking i decided to take them out. My car was dropped ~1", and i was still able to get aligned within factory spec without them.

What type of brake upgrades are you planning on doing?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Was looking at the front Brembo brake kit on AM. Not the gt500 big brakes. Still not sure if it is worth $1200. May go with some good carbon ceramic pads.

Thanks for the advice. I am very good at fabricating randomness. Like converting a base to premium, but the braking and suspension is still a tad new to me.

I did see you mentioned drilled and slotted were a waste so I don't want to go there. I am open to any tips on the braking portion also
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
When youre looking at brakes keep in mind 6 piston GT500 brakes don't fit our cars. There are other 6 piston kits that will work but the Brembo GT 500's wont work.

I just did a brake upgrade myself. I did the Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors. Now I have 14" all around. It looks so much better than the tiny stock brakes, especially with a spoke wheel. My next upgrade will be some nice calipers to go with them.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Yea, i figured the gt500 ones wouldnt fit, and that maybe the 4 piston ones like the GT has would. But just for the front, is $1,200 really worth it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yea, i figured the gt500 ones wouldnt fit, and that maybe the 4 piston ones like the GT has would. But just for the front, is $1,200 really worth it?

Worth? I guess it depends. When I had my 350Z I did a BBK all around. Was the stopping power night and day difference? I wouldn't say that, although it did improve. Now in the looks dept. it was 100% worth it. The rotors I bought now look so much better than stock the price was worth that alone, at least for me. It fills up the wheels very nicely. So to answer your question, for me a BBK kit it worth it.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

The rotors in this kit are the ones I currently have. Im on the look out for some used Brembos or I might even go with these Baer calipers. They are 6 piston compared to 4.
Baer Baer Pro Plus Mustang Front Brake Kit - Red 4261211R (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Very nice. Although, at this time idk if I can justify 2,000 for just the braking portion. Do you think the Brembo 4 piston kit would suffice? Ford Racing Mustang SVT Front Brake Upgrade Kit M-2300-S (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

Now the only part that confuses me about that, is it says the Brake Lines will only fit GT500 Calipers. So maybe it will fit the Brembo calipers and not the stock rear ones on the V6? I am hoping that is correct.

The other question would be, if these Brembo calipers will clear the 19" Performance Pack wheels for the V6. I know they clear the 19" Track Pack rims for the GT since they come with them. Hoping there isn't a huge difference.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Very nice. Although, at this time idk if I can justify 2,000 for just the braking portion. Do you think the Brembo 4 piston kit would suffice? Ford Racing Mustang SVT Front Brake Upgrade Kit M-2300-S (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

Now the only part that confuses me about that, is it says the Brake Lines will only fit GT500 Calipers. So maybe it will fit the Brembo calipers and not the stock rear ones on the V6? I am hoping that is correct.

The other question would be, if these Brembo calipers will clear the 19" Performance Pack wheels for the V6. I know they clear the 19" Track Pack rims for the GT since they come with them. Hoping there isn't a huge difference.
Im sure the 4 piston Brembos are more than adequate. If I could find some used ones Id put them on with no problem.

As far as your specific questions about what brakes lines and wheels, I cant help you with that. I have aftermarket so when I bought them I made sure they would clear a BBK. Make sure to do all your research before doing anything.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

For sure. It seems unfortunately, none of the reviews on AM include people with a V6 Performance Pack car. And it is difficult to find one on here as people have either a base setup, or they have aftermarket wheels from AM or wherever. Am I the only one with the performance pack wheels still?! LOL

I guess the other idea would be to find someone with a GT/CS 13/14 with Brembos (assuming one exists) and ask them. As the rims are identical. I think only the color is different.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
When youre looking at brakes keep in mind 6 piston GT500 brakes don't fit our cars. There are other 6 piston kits that will work but the Brembo GT 500's wont work.

I just did a brake upgrade myself. I did the Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors. Now I have 14" all around. It looks so much better than the tiny stock brakes, especially with a spoke wheel. My next upgrade will be some nice calipers to go with them.
They will, they just wont clear the rims, you'll need a 19"

Quote:

Depends on what worth it means to you, understand that you will not see much increased stopping power. Granted, going from the 12.6" V6 rotors to a 14" Brembo rotor will naturally improve braking torque, the return on investment compared to just some good pads is not "worth it" for a street car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Worth? I guess it depends. When I had my 350Z I did a BBK all around. Was the stopping power night and day difference? I wouldn't say that, although it did improve. Now in the looks dept. it was 100% worth it. The rotors I bought now look so much better than stock the price was worth that alone, at least for me. It fills up the wheels very nicely. So to answer your question, for me a BBK kit it worth it.
^^ In this case, yes, worth it from cosmetics for sure.

Quote:

Its not just the distance from the inner rim you need to worry about, but also the backside of the spokes. Most times there are templates you can print out to see if they will clear your rims. There are certain 18"s that will work with the Brembo 4 pistons.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

What is this template you speak of?! I searched the internet and looked at 100s of pictures. I cannot find any that have a Mustang with the V6 Performance Pack wheels or GT/CS wheels and ALSO have the Brembo front brakes. The hopes that these rims clear the calipers is diminishing. lol
Old 05-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

I think I found it: Wheel fitment template for Brembo Big Brake Systems
Old 05-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That is A template, but i'm not sure if it is THE template. I've never had need of it, so i've never bothered to actually find it, but i know its out there. I'd check with AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

Well, I contacted AM and spoke with Dylan. They could not confirm or deny if these would fit. And they don't have a template available either. So this would be a huge gamble it seems.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Find someone local with a Brembo car and see if yall can meet up?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #17
Kevin.Cook

That, or if someone could provide me measurements for the height, width, and depth of their front Brembo caliper then that would help
Old 05-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #18
Kevin.Cook

I was hoping Alex from AM or someone would pitch some info for their Brembo kit but he has not been in here.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

My mom has a Brembo 5.0, if i'm at the house this weekend i'll try to get you some. If anyone beats me to it, measure the distance from where the caliper bolts to the hub so you have a fixed reference point.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook

Well, the Brembo Wheels vs Performance Pack wheels are the same size: http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...stalCode=11101

Now I just hope it clears the spokes. As I think the spokes might be a tad thicker on the Performance Pack wheels vs Brembo.

If I did need wheel spacers, I would need the measurements from the Brembo Caliper to see which spacers I need exactly. Spacers are pretty cheap so if I DID need them, it wouldn't be a huge loss financially.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

You would think with how bulky the ugly stock calipers are, that the Brembos would fit easily. LOL!!!

I appreciate all the help Voltwings.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
Kevin.Cook

So I just looked at ALL big brake kits that AM offers as well as random ones on the net. Not just Brembo. And I cannot find ANY that have someone using the PP 19" wheels w/ a big brake kit or anything 4-6 pistons. disheartening. Will wait for the measurements.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If i may, why exactly do you want them? For cosmetics, racing, more stopping power, just because you want them?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

The other thing that has to be taken into account, its not just the diameter of the wheel its also the offset. Going back to my 350Z...I had some 20" +25 wheels on it, the brake kit came in so I started to put it on. Did the rear first, beautiful. Moved on to the front...not so beautiful. I got the passenger side all done and then went to put the wheel on and no good. I had to take it all off and put the stock brakes back on. I didn't do my homework, the wheel I had came in a +10 which would have worked perfectly. So, I had to order new front wheels. It was about a 600.00 mistake... don't count on anyone to do this for you or if you do be certain!!
Old 05-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #25
Kevin.Cook

Cosmetics. Any small amount of better stopping power would be a plus. I am doing the suspension and brakes not only to make my car look better, but to give me more control of it and to have it respond just a hair quicker. Because I cannot count how many times I have almost been wrecked in Austin, TX. I think most of these drivers got their license in cooking school!!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

This may be total noob, but what do you mean by +25 and +10?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Cosmetics. Any small amount of better stopping power would be a plus. I am doing the suspension and brakes not only to make my car look better, but to give me more control of it and to have it respond just a hair quicker. Because I cannot count how many times I have almost been wrecked in Austin, TX. I think most of these drivers got their license in cooking school!!!!
I agree with you. With the right wheels it looks awesome. Im not saying you should spend 8 grand on some high end Brembos but 2 g's isn't the worst way to spend the money. It looks great and you do get better stopping power.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelOffsets.do
Old 05-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #29
Kevin.Cook

So after more scouring of the intertubes, I found this: GT500 Brembo Brake Kit Install | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs

Nice little write up but it does not touch on rims like mine. I did look at my current setup and there is just under 1 inch of free space between my current front caliper and the rim spoke. So I don't know if this will be enough.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #30
Kevin.Cook

Or maybe I can play it safe and just get these: Eibach Pro-Spacer Hubcentric Mustang Wheel Spacers - 25mm - Pair 90.4.25.010.3 (94-14 All) - Free Shipping

I am fairly sure 25 mm should give me enough space to clear these. There is pics on AM for this with a 13 GT/CS (Similar wheels) with these and it looks fine.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #31
Kevin.Cook

Posting this for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-ford-mustang-v6-front-wheel.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	182178  
Old 05-08-2015, 03:24 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would recommend getting an adj upper control arm w mount because by lowering, your'e going to throw off your pinion angle. Seeing that you have a one piece driveshaft, it's more critical to have your pinion angle accurate than on a two piece which has more flex.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #33
Kevin.Cook

Gotcha, I was looking at BMR ones because alot of people compliment these.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Gotcha, I was looking at BMR ones because alot of people compliment these.
Yes! I actually just bought one. Should be receiving it shortly. I've been waiting to install all my suspension stuff until I have everything. Some people will just put springs on not realizing/caring about the rest of the suspension. What they fail to understand is by changing the ride height, you are changing the whole geometry of the vehicle which calls for more than one item to be replaced.

I have springs, shocks/struts, with gt500 mounts, front and rear sway bars, adj panhard, adj LCAs with relocation brackets, adj UCA with new mount. I am also going to run camber bolts because the front is only going to drop just over an inch so I should be within spec. If I have to, I'll get camber plates but I don't think it will be needed because I'm not tracking the car.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #35
Kevin.Cook

This is more or less what I am looking at. Do you think it will be enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts.png
Views:	52
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	182183  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang