ABS Louvers and Carwashes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
ABS Louvers and Carwashes

Anyone have ABS louvers and run it through a touchless carwash? I have a black 2012 and I live in Florida. So the louvers do help with the heat down here. My only concern is having a black car there are going to be times where I am going to have to run through a car wash when I don't have time to do it at home. Are the ABS louvers able to take the jet driers?

I have aluminum ones on my 2000 V6 and have been afraid to take it through since I put them on. But it is white and the paint isn't as nice.

Thoughts?
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

I go through these washes all the time and they been holding up good for the last 7 months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. My aluminum ones on the 2000 vibrate a bit in the wind so I need to do something to lessen that before I trust it with the turbo dryers.

Do the ABS ones rattle in the wind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Not at all. They are pretty sturdy. Even at the "do it yourself washes", I have placed the sprayer right at them and nothing happens. The 3M tape holds them extremely well. No paint cracking/chipping.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #5
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
Anyone have ABS louvers and run it through a touchless carwash? I have a black 2012 and I live in Florida. So the louvers do help with the heat down here. My only concern is having a black car there are going to be times where I am going to have to run through a car wash when I don't have time to do it at home. Are the ABS louvers able to take the jet driers?

I have aluminum ones on my 2000 V6 and have been afraid to take it through since I put them on. But it is white and the paint isn't as nice.

Thoughts?
Mung - Shouldn't be a problem at all running the car through the wash - The double sided 3M that comes with the majority of these kits be it from AM or elsewhere will come with an adhesive promoter that acts as a catalyst (think of an epoxy) that's going to keep them secured on the car.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Not at all. They are pretty sturdy. Even at the "do it yourself washes", I have placed the sprayer right at them and nothing happens. The 3M tape holds them extremely well. No paint cracking/chipping.
Are yours from the factory or did you add them on yourself? I bought mine with the appearance package and they're held on by 3 velcro strips that are attached to the window. How do I know this? I took it through the touchless carwash the day after I bought it. I got home, got out of my car and noticed the louver was missing and was like wtf... Rushed back to the car wash and there it was, sitting right outside the dryer exit all scratched up.

Went straight to the dealer and they gave me a new one free of charge.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I am assuming that was a side window louver not a rear window one. You would know if you lost the rear one.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
I am assuming that was a side window louver not a rear window one. You would know if you lost the rear one.
Yea, side one. When I hear louvers, I assume we're talking about the side ones. If you meant rear, then disregard lol
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
If you're talking about the back rear window, large abs plastic louver, I have one on my 14. It was installed by the previous owner and it does look good, just not my taste.
it's installed and held in place by about 10 3M tape strips with a nut and bolt in them. If prepped correctly before mounting, they won't come off even if you wanted them to. you can unbolt the louver and remove it easily but the 3M mounting points seems stuck for life. Just clean and prep the glass very well before mounting.
My louver is still on because I can't get those ugly mounts to come off! Maybe soaking them in gasoline and setting it on fire will work. 3M tape bonds extremely well and even better on smooth prepped glass.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

What don't you like about them?
Old 05-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Waylap 1....Use a Heat Gun & they'll come off. That's how I got mine off the 04 I use to have.
You'll have to clean the residue off the window with some Goo Gone afterward.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
This is the louver I was talking about and kinda sure what the op was asking about. What I do like about it..it adds some privacy without tint, provides shade and reminds me of the 80's.
What I don't like, it reminds me of the 80's, it resembles a cockroach body (with black Mustang), when you unbolt and remove it for a change up, the mounting hardware isn't pretty still on the glass.
For now, it's still there and I'm hoping it will grow on me.....OH! And it buzzes....it's not exactly rattle free sometimes but it's only a minor slight rattle or buzz occasionally. Maybe some rubber washers will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	182111  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have (had) a 12 with the side window louvers and a hood scoop. Since I bought it used from a dealer, I'm not sure if the previous owner installed them. They seem to hold up well under the dryers and spray guns. Though I did have to have Ford take the hood scoop off and reapply it because I noticed and a corner coming up. They fixed it for nothing
KonaPony12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang