V6 Convertible opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
V6 Convertible opinions

Alright so my girlfriend wants a mustang v6 and automatic but is torn between whether or not she wants a convertible. So I want to hear from you all! Your opinions, common problems, reasons why you love your vert, reasons why you hate your vert, etc. And please this isn't a thread for bashing. We are all entitled to our own opinions, so no reason to hate based on that! Just want your humbled point of view after owning one for a while and actually dealing with weather in it etc. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Mine ain't a vert, but having owned a vert in the past it is one of those at least once in your life things.

fyi it was a Triumph Spitfire
Old 05-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyo1021 View Post
Alright so my girlfriend wants a mustang v6 and automatic but is torn between whether or not she wants a convertible. So I want to hear from you all! Your opinions, common problems, reasons why you love your vert, reasons why you hate your vert, etc. And please this isn't a thread for bashing. We are all entitled to our own opinions, so no reason to hate based on that! Just want your humbled point of view after owning one for a while and actually dealing with weather in it etc. Thanks!

Let's just say, you can't have just one. Many ragtop owners I know have multiples they are so much enjoyment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1431027462.518205.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	182093

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1431027499.823293.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	182094

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My experience is there great when you can have the top town and enjoy it. But when the top is up hard tops are better.

But as you said it's all preference so best thing to do is drive both. One big reason performance guys steer away from them is because there heavier then hardtops.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
When I had one I loved it. But there were times when the sun got too much.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Being from Chicago, a convertible doesn't seem worth it to me considering I can only use it a few months out of the year. If you're in a state that permits convertible weather year round, I say go for it!

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Being from Chicago, a convertible doesn't seem worth it to me considering I can only use it a few months out of the year. If you're in a state that permits convertible weather year round, I say go for it!

I second that, plus I love the hard top on these models, it gives the car a more aggressive look compared to the convertible IMO.
mutaz102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

The convertible top is very nice but sometimes it is too hot here in SC for top down driving so in the summer I drive in the evenings with the top down.

Get it. Enjoy

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I love mine. I agree with it being too hot here in SC sometimes. Worse when sitting in traffic. My daughter always say "Daddy take the roof off!"

Old 05-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate the input so far everyone thanks!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
a real man would let her get a V8.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Here in North FL, daytime traffic gets just to hot in summer, but evenings along the coast make it all worth while. Have had mine since Sept 14 & love it.
14 SGM Prem Vert
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would say no if she really wants it to be a track car (heavier and less body rigidity)
If you live in a high crime area if say no (people cut the top with boxcutters and steal your stuff)
If you want the top down yes go for it
If you can afford the insurance and want a great car that is a ton of fun and you can go to the beach in or just drive around get it she'll love it
I personally have a coupe because i track my car also i dont like the extra maintenance of the convertible also i didnt wanna pay for it or the insurance personally i wish i had the glass roof id be happy with that

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

She would not be tracking it. It might see a drag strip once just so she could say she did it but thats it I'm sure. just a regular daily driver and cruising car for her. Also I might add I have no say in her getting a V8 or not. Initially she wanted a V6 but recently she's been starting to want a V8 cause of mine. But its not me that allows it or not. Its her budget. And unfortunately I can only help so much!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ya haha i would say definitely go with a convertible for sure girls love convertibles the v6 imho is more value for your money considering you cant add supercharger or turbo and get up to 500 hp safely, which makes it much faster than the v8, also it has almost a 50 50 balance which is much better for tracking than the v8, plus adding a supercharger or turbo to a v8 is almost counter productive, anything close to 550 or over hp isnt very usefull, rarely cam you actually use it, and it will always drink gas even when you dont use it, also anything over 550 makes any car very difficult to drive for little performance gain you may almost never actually see, cobras roushed theyre nice they are cool but realistically a na v8 or fi v6 are the way to go for performance thats just me though ive driven supercars before they are cool bit very uncontrollable also ive driven a 2009 v8 supercharged mustang with 550hp and full throttle on that things was hard to controll on an imperfect road, it was about the max out of performance id want personally

Old 05-08-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
I would say no if she really wants it to be a track car (heavier and less body rigidity)
If you live in a high crime area if say no (people cut the top with boxcutters and steal your stuff)
If you want the top down yes go for it
If you can afford the insurance and want a great car that is a ton of fun and you can go to the beach in or just drive around get it she'll love it
I personally have a coupe because i track my car also i dont like the extra maintenance of the convertible also i didnt wanna pay for it or the insurance personally i wish i had the glass roof id be happy with that

As an actual convertible owner of three different cars since 1991, two at the moment:

- Never had a break in
- Never heard I ever paid extra for insurance
- Don't really treat the top any different other than hitting it with 303 Aerospace a couple times during the Summer (no more than 1/2 hour tops)

Even if she were to take it to the track, I'm sure it would be more for fun than the fastest time.

I've never owned or sat in a glass roof car, so I admit I could be wrong, but I would think you would really cook with the sun shining through glass.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 05-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
She would not be tracking it. It might see a drag strip once just so she could say she did it but thats it I'm sure. just a regular daily driver and cruising car for her. Also I might add I have no say in her getting a V8 or not. Initially she wanted a V6 but recently she's been starting to want a V8 cause of mine. But its not me that allows it or not. Its her budget. And unfortunately I can only help so much!

I've taken mine to the drag strip already, like you said, more for fun and just to see what it will do. Keep in mind, NHRA rules say that convertibles running 13.49 and faster need a full roll cage anyway so you don't want the car to be too quick. Your V6 ragtop will be just fine staying above that number.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 05-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
As an actual convertible owner of three different cars since 1991, two at the moment:

- Never had a break in
- Never heard I ever paid extra for insurance
- Don't really treat the top any different other than hitting it with 303 Aerospace a couple times during the Summer (no more than 1/2 hour tops)

Even if she were to take it to the track, I'm sure it would be more for fun than the fastest time.

I've never owned or sat in a glass roof car, so I admit I could be wrong, but I would think you would really cook with the sun shining through glass.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
The track difference is a bit miniscule true but i have seen several break ins to convertibles 6 in the past year alone but then again i live in southern california and all of them were up near LA so thats why i said only in a high crime area to worry about that its not common in other places

The glass room comes tinted i had one on my scion tc and it was awesome, ya some people dont like that it doesnt open but i just like being able to look up and see the sky, (my son is the biggest fan of it hes about a year old and loves looking at the sky when i drive especially if its raining, they have a retractable cover for it so if its hot out it blocks any extra heat the tint doesnt, it looks awesome in my opinion, it also is a good medium between weight, it also makes the car feel very large and open i love that, if you ever get the chance to get in a car with a panorama moon roof try it its very unique

Old 05-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The track difference is a bit miniscule true but i have seen several break ins to convertibles 6 in the past year alone but then again i live in southern california and all of them were up near LA so thats why i said only in a high crime area to worry about that its not common in other places

The glass room comes tinted i had one on my scion tc and it was awesome, ya some people dont like that it doesnt open but i just like being able to look up and see the sky, (my son is the biggest fan of it hes about a year old and loves looking at the sky when i drive especially if its raining, they have a retractable cover for it so if its hot out it blocks any extra heat the tint doesnt, it looks awesome in my opinion, it also is a good medium between weight, it also makes the car feel very large and open i love that, if you ever get the chance to get in a car with a panorama moon roof try it its very unique

Sounds good. Just kind of reminded me of when we were kids and burned ants with a magnifying glass.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 05-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My daughter just purchased a 2010 candy red convertible mustang. She absolutely loves it. Living in San Diego, I know she will get plenty of chances to drive with the top down. I prefer my GT glass top but, to each his own. I am just happy she chose a mustang!
Mr. T 2013 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I've owned a couple convertibles and presently own a 2011 v6 kona blue convertible mustang. I love it and get compliments everywhere I go. On the track I've trounced my brother in laws built 350 in his vette and my buddies Lexus 430c v8 was also dusted. Bought a premium model, great sound system, nothing but great summertime cruising!!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
As someone who has owned convertibles for the past 17 years I can say I should've bought one this time around and didn't. I went for a premium hardtop instead of a base vert. I would say she should definitely get the one!

I also have not had any problems with someone messing with any of my tops.
gkcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Not sure if the OP is thinking about a 2015 but I personally much prefer the looks of the convertible with the top down. It loses that fast back look which I am not a fan of.

Name:	2015-ford-mustang-gt-convertible-front-three-quarter-view.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	905.2 KB
ID:	182197
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

They definitely look there best with the top down...I agree. I looked at some hard tops. No one had the great combination of hp, looks and handling as the mustang....for the money!!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I bought my 14 vert v6 last April. I live in Madison, Wi home of the Wisconsin Badgers. Love the vert. I would say get the performance package. It will give you heated leather seats. In the winter the compartment is small and the heater will blow you away! Traction control and slip differential makes driving in light snow conditions doable. City driving is okay. Also Fird gives you the battery warmer plug if you have to park outside. On frigid nights just plug it in. Spring, summer and fall it's hard to beat the feeling you get with top down! Red Vert will hold better value!!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed the verts look best with their top down. Thats partly why she's torn cause she really likes the hard top look. And Mschrod red is not going to happen she is dead set on grabber blue lol. Its literally a deal breaker. But for sure mustang all the way!
Old 05-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Agreed the verts look best with their top down. Thats partly why she's torn cause she really likes the hard top look. And Mschrod red is not going to happen she is dead set on grabber blue lol. Its literally a deal breaker. But for sure mustang all the way!

+1000 on Grabber Blue! That will be 2010 to mid 2014 only.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 05-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

lol Yeah grabbermeblue your mustang is actually pretty much perfect for what she wants. grabber blue v6 premium vert. She really wants the 13-14s though for the newer tail lights.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #29

Region: Wyoming
I own a 2013 convertible with the v6 auto and I love it! The car has some get up and go and gets great mpg. It's my daily drive in the summer since I live in wonderful Wyoming but it doesn't seem to mind being parked in the winter. The only issue so far has been the rear bushings needed to be replaced. I put a sealant on the top each spring and it repels water and UV rays all summer and keeps the top looking like brand new.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Dr RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My glass roof isn't tinted at all it sucks. It's getting done this Thursday though lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #31

Region: Ohio
Columbus ohio

Look man, I live in Ohio and absolutely love this thing. Top up or down its an amazing car and it's worth every penny in my opinion. Just make sure you test drive every car you are looking at cause I had some differences at the dealer when I went, but all in all I've never had a more enjoyable ride in my life. You won't be disappointed!
buckeyebandguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang