Changing Transmission Fluid 3.7L Manual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Changing Transmission Fluid 3.7L Manual

So I picked up some Royal Purple Synchromax and am looking to change the fluid out in my 14' v6 MT82.

Has anyone done this before? If so, how many quarts did you use?

I know theres a fill plug I have to pull on the upper passenger side and a drain plug below. Does anyone know the sizes of these?

Thank you for any input.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes, its easy, but you need the right tools.

1. Make sure you can remove the fill plug BEFORE you drain the transmission.
- To do this, you'll need ... i forget the technical term, but they're basically allen wrenches but sockets? You may be able to get in there with an allen wrench, but getting enough leverage on it is the problem, its very tight.
Now, i mentioned using the allen-sockets, but there isnt enough room between the transmission and transmission tunnel for you to fit the socket and a socket wrench in there. An 8mm wrench however, will fit the allen part perfectly. What i do is just slide my 8mm wrench over the socket, slide the socket into the plug, and then use some sort of cheater to break it loose.

From there, its just a simple matter of loosening the drain on the bottom.

The transmission takes 2.7 quarts. You'll want a good fluid transfer pump for this. Let me stress, you want a GOOD fluid transfer pump. I had that bull**** one from autozone and i have never been more pissed off in my entire life lol, that thing kept falling apart and not holding pressure and just ... ugh, got oil everywhere.
I got another from amsoil for $15, but its honestly well worth it for a good pump. It also comes with fittings to rest in the fill plug if i remember properly, but its been a little since i've done this on any of our cars (4 now).

Just jack the car up nice and high, and having a spare person helps. Make sure the car is level too, or you'll have a bad time when you start trying to fill the transmission back up - learned the hard way lol ... seems so trivial now, but i just didnt think about it.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Yes, its easy, but you need the right tools.

1. Make sure you can remove the fill plug BEFORE you drain the transmission.
- To do this, you'll need ... i forget the technical term, but they're basically allen wrenches but sockets? You may be able to get in there with an allen wrench, but getting enough leverage on it is the problem, its very tight.
Now, i mentioned using the allen-sockets, but there isnt enough room between the transmission and transmission tunnel for you to fit the socket and a socket wrench in there. An 8mm wrench however, will fit the allen part perfectly. What i do is just slide my 8mm wrench over the socket, slide the socket into the plug, and then use some sort of cheater to break it loose.

From there, its just a simple matter of loosening the drain on the bottom.

The transmission takes 2.7 quarts. You'll want a good fluid transfer pump for this. Let me stress, you want a GOOD fluid transfer pump. I had that bull**** one from autozone and i have never been more pissed off in my entire life lol, that thing kept falling apart and not holding pressure and just ... ugh, got oil everywhere.
I got another from amsoil for $15, but its honestly well worth it for a good pump. It also comes with fittings to rest in the fill plug if i remember properly, but its been a little since i've done this on any of our cars (4 now).

Just jack the car up nice and high, and having a spare person helps. Make sure the car is level too, or you'll have a bad time when you start trying to fill the transmission back up - learned the hard way lol ... seems so trivial now, but i just didnt think about it.
Can you not do it from inside through the shifter like the older ones?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

hmmmm maybe, but i honestly think that's more work than just having a good pump. The only reason i can see that being beneficial, is sometimes getting those last few drops is hard with the pump vs a gravity feed. I may look into that the next time i have to do this though.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
hmmmm maybe, but i honestly think that's more work than just having a good pump. The only reason i can see that being beneficial, is sometimes getting those last few drops is hard with the pump vs a gravity feed. I may look into that the next time i have to do this though.
I guess all the stuff I read was using crappy pumps so if you have a good pump that would probably be pretty easy
Old 05-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I guess all the stuff I read was using crappy pumps so if you have a good pump that would probably be pretty easy
Honestly, i've thought about it a bit now, and it is a bit more set up work, but just being able to gravity feed with a hose and funnel may just be better. I actually cant believe i never thought of that before lol... its really just 2 more bolts to separate the shifter bracket and lower the trans so ... yeah lol do that.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Changing Transmission Fluid 3.7L Manual

I read a few articles on this and one guy actually ran the hose from the filler hole up into the engine bay and added the fluid from there. Adding from the shifter seems plausible as well but that shifter boot was a pita to put back on when I installed my short throw. Spent more time with the shifter boot than the actual install lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 05-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
I read a few articles on this and one guy actually ran the hose from the filler hole up into the engine bay and added the fluid from there. Adding from the shifter seems plausible as well but that shifter boot was a pita to put back on when I installed my short throw. Spent more time with the shifter boot than the actual install lol

I have no experience with the newer body style but in my 05 it pops right up, first time I used a butter knife to pop it out.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have no experience with the newer body style but in my 05 it pops right up, first time I used a butter knife to pop it out.

Yeah it's a different setup with the Mt82 trans

Old 05-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Yeah it's a different setup with the Mt82 trans

That's annoying. I rather enjoyed the simplicity of the tr-3650. Although I will say getting my short throw in and orientated was a pita.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's annoying. I rather enjoyed the simplicity of the tr-3650. Although I will say getting my short throw in and orientated was a pita.
I'm sure it's a similar setup because they are both using remote style shifters. Meaning the rear of the shifter is bolted to the body. Just different trans. Wish they would've kept the tr3650 over the MT82

Old 05-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #12
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
NO, you can NOT add it from the shifter. I used a 4' long piece of mayhap 3/8" fuel hose from the engine compartment. One end fit inside the funnel the other in the fill plug. Due to small id it filled slow but it worked. Make sure you have a way to fill B4 draining!!!

hint: to get the .7 qt just remove 10 oz from qt bottle and use the rest.

I used Redline MTL and it helped...I suggest saving the OEM fluid in a clean container, if mine ever blew up I would put the original back in just in case the dealer wanted to void my wtty
Old 05-08-2015, 05:02 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

oh yeah, a bent piece of paper clip can be used to check the fill level
Old 06-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
^^^what he said
mustanguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Can you not do it from inside through the shifter like the older ones?
Well you cannot fill it literally through the shifter as these cars have remote shifters, not top loaders. I suppose you could pull the center console and shift boot and run a tube down through the cut out in the floor, forward to the transmission, but you risk spilling really smelly gear lube into your interior and honestly, you're gonna have to climb underneath to drain it anyway. I just used a cheap pump. A little slow but did the job.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
What viscosity rating did you guys use? I'm planning on using royal purple this weekend. Any big difference in the driving?

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
What viscosity rating did you guys use? I'm planning on using royal purple this weekend. Any big difference in the driving?

I didn't see a rating on the bottle. It's just Royal Purple Synchromax Synthetic.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I put in Redline MTL which is a 75w-80. The factory fill dual clutch fluid is I believe a straight 75w.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Any driving difference for you guys? Smoother shifts?

Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

I did the MTL and it smoothed out some of the notchy feeling
Old 06-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Putting in the MGW (1st gen) helped with precision, but notchiness remained, putting in the MTL and the XL18 additive helped more and finally, the largest improvement was fitting the blowfish bracket. Very smooth between all gears with only a little notch at the 1-2 shift. The grinding and clashing sounds are completely gone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang