BBK and Tuning - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #1

Region: California
BBK and Tuning

I recently put on BBK long tube headers and the complimenting shorty catted x-pipe (also BBK obviously) and the car seems to be running INSANELY rich. I was expecting a little richness but not like this. I have been told that no tune is required but I'm beginning to think thats just a selling point to force you into buying a tune. Theres no way I feel I can run my current set up without a tune.
On my 2011 V6 I currently have the following:
Air Raid CAI
Borla touring axle-backs
and now the BBK LTH and catted X

My question is as such: Will getting a tune(r) fix this problem?

Thank you.
BrandonLewis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

It could definitely help. If it persists, you will need to datalog for whoever tuner you go with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #3

Another quick question if you can help...
Would running these LTH and hi flow catted x pipe make the car run more rich? Or more lean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Depends on what your o2 sensors are now picking up. I always thought you needed to tune for this type of swap though. Surprised you haven't. I know usually its only shorties that dont have an issue without a tune.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

I was going to mention voltwings v6 modding guide. But i figure you will find your way to it. The lth section might answer your question officially.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #6

Yeah it seemed strange when I saw "no tune required."
I guess I shall invest, not a huge deal I suppose.
And yes, I found my way there between your replies funny enough.
Thanks again for all your help, it is much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

This consulting will have a 1 time fee of 79.99 plus 9.99 for shipping and handling via forum

Old 05-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #8

Well then I certainly can't afford you my good sir.
Also, if you feel like answering another question...
I put these BBK LTH and catted x pipe on yesterday and have been driving it really really gently to break everything in, even below 3k rpm my gas mileage dropped through the floor. Will the tune fix that?
I just ordered the tune since everywhere I look people freak out that its almost required to keep your engine safe with the new flow
Old 05-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLewis11 View Post
I put these BBK LTH and catted x pipe on yesterday and have been driving it really really gently to break everything in, even below 3k rpm my gas mileage dropped through the floor. Will the tune fix that?
I just ordered the tune since everywhere I look people freak out that its almost required to keep your engine safe with the new flow
Your car is Probably dumping fuel because your o2s think your stoich is way off due to no cats.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonLewis11 View Post

Of course you car is thinking it is balancing by burning more fuel because your o2s are not sensing correctly. Keep on AM. Sometimes it takes me a week to get 1 tune. Because in this case, you need it ASAP.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #11

Okay, I drove it extremely lightly and felt REALLY uncomfortable driving it in every sense of the word. It has cats by the way natestang07.
I wasn't going to drive it until I get the tune, I even ordered next day shipping on it (stupid consumer that I am) because I need my car obviously haha. Thank you for confirming my decisions and really helping my extreme uneasiness, because I love my car more than most people as I'm sure most other car fanatics do haha. Ill be sure to stay on BAMA for that tune so I can finally enjoy my stuff.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Sorry misread your post!
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #13

I'm getting no CEL so I am assuming that my sensors are all good, just need a tune to correct the way it reads?
Old 05-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Correct. I would not drive it just to be safe. Last thing you need is to damage a sensor from it running unbalanced.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #15

I honestly can't thank you enough.
I really appreciate your time
Old 05-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #16
Kevin.Cook

No problem. I like contributing when I can. I too run into confusing ordeals and need help sometimes. That's what I like about this community. Everyone is usually nice.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Kevin. I have ab and bbk shorty headers. Do I need to tune? Car runs fine actually runs better than stock. Planning to tune eventually just not rite now. I'm in the market for a house currently. What's safe afr for these motors?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The shorty headers are said to not need a tune because they are of similar character (short) to stock, whereas longtubes certainly require a tune because the nature of the exhaust is now drastically different.

That being said, the stock V6 manifolds are a log style, so even going to a shorty i would highly recommend a tune. On a car like this where you have the ability to tune the cam timing to maximize results, you should always try to capitalize on that.

How do you know you are running rich? With no tuner or datalogs, i'm assuming you're just kind of assuming via smell and reduced mpg? Your primary o2 sensor (pre cat) is the one responsible for AFR, so that one still very well may be reading fine, the secondary o2 is purely for the sake of measuring cat efficiency. For that reason, It is not uncommon to just turn the secondary o2s off when doing a mod like this, due to them typically not liking aftermarket setups.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you voltwings this is pretty much what I thought. Runs fine with not tune but the tune will help a lot and unlock the power ford left on the table for us aftermarket guys to unfold. Now I just have to decide between mpt and bama. That's a tough choice from the stuff I've read on here

Old 05-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The shorty headers are said to not need a tune because they are of similar character (short) to stock, whereas longtubes certainly require a tune because the nature of the exhaust is now drastically different.

That being said, the stock V6 manifolds are a log style, so even going to a shorty i would highly recommend a tune. On a car like this where you have the ability to tune the cam timing to maximize results, you should always try to capitalize on that.

How do you know you are running rich? With no tuner or datalogs, i'm assuming you're just kind of assuming via smell and reduced mpg? Your primary o2 sensor (pre cat) is the one responsible for AFR, so that one still very well may be reading fine, the secondary o2 is purely for the sake of measuring cat efficiency. For that reason, It is not uncommon to just turn the secondary o2s off when doing a mod like this, due to them typically not liking aftermarket setups.
I thought the same thing.. I asked MPT if they had a tune for the bbk shorty headers and they said they don't tune those that its not needed.. Kinda left me disappointed but whatever.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Well that's not what I wanted to hear. It opens the flow of exhaust I know there is power to unlock there. What a load of Bologna

Obviously doing a full exhaust with long tube would gain more but I did the headers to compliment my roush ab.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Well that's not what I wanted to hear. It opens the flow of exhaust I know there is power to unlock there. What a load of Bologna

Obviously doing a full exhaust with long tube would gain more but I did the headers to compliment my roush ab.

they might tune for shorty headers if they datalog.. thats a maybe though. I was disappointed with the shorty headers. I got more lope when idle but didn't really notice a difference and the install took 4-5 hours! If I was to do it again I would have gone with the long tubes.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I like the shortys because of the sound it gives with the roush ab. I loved the roush before they broke in but once they broke in the got extremely raspy at 3k. These headers deepens the note a lot and really makes the car sound great. IMO

nothing will ever make it sound like a v8 and that's not what I want. I already have two other v8 mustang in my garage. But I love the exhaust note these header gave me

The instal wasn't to bad for me. Took 1 hr a side for me. I know my way around cars extremely well and have every tool I can imagine though. Hardest part is the rear nut on the bottom due to my large hands lol. If it wasn't for that darn nut it would have been 30 min a side and done.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I like the shortys because of the sound it gives with the roush ab. I loved the roush before they broke in but once they broke in the got extremely raspy at 3k. These headers deepens the note a lot and really makes the car sound great. IMO

nothing will ever make it sound like a v8 and that's not what I want. I already have two other v8 mustang in my garage. But I love the exhaust note these header gave me

The instal wasn't to bad for me. Took 1 hr a side for me. I know my way around cars extremely well and have every tool I can imagine though. Hardest part is the rear nut on the bottom due to my large hands lol. If it wasn't for that darn nut it would have been 30 min a side and done.

If they are the 4.6 GT's I will race you sir Ya I wish the install was that simple. My header bolts were coming out with the header and the flange was a pain to get off the stock header. I got some bolts with the headers in a bag, but they were the wrong ones lol
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

No no mines a 2013 3.7. The studs all came out with the nut so all I did was took the nut off wire wheeled the studs and tossed them back in slapped the new headers in and threw the nuts back on. Like I said the bottom rear nut was the worst park. It probably took 15min for that one alone but the rest only take 30 seconds

Old 05-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No no mines a 2013 3.7. The studs all came out with the nut so all I did was took the nut off wire wheeled the studs and tossed them back in slapped the new headers in and threw the nuts back on. Like I said the bottom rear nut was the worst park. It probably took 15min for that one alone but the rest only take 30 seconds

Oh I was saying that to the v8 Mustangs in your garage. And ya that one on the passenger side like mid bottom was a pain! Had to do turn by turn.
-2008 Civic SI...
Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ohh ya. And no there both 5.0s. Got an 86 vert that I'm going to restore next summer once I'm done modding my 13. And then I have a 65 coupe with a 302 pushing out 406 at the wheels.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Do you like them

Fariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Of course I do I'm a mustang fanatic. Rev the motor dump the clutch leave the competition behind ).

Drive it like u stole it, clean it like you show it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang