BBK Header Install info - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #36
Kevin.Cook

Ok. I just called Bama to see where my tune revision was since I submitted it at the end of last week and still have not heard back. They said there is a 2 week or so waiting period right now. So in case anyone else is waiting....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Ok. I just called Bama to see where my tune revision was since I submitted it at the end of last week and still have not heard back. They said there is a 2 week or so waiting period right now. So in case anyone else is waiting....

Damn, that sucks. I submitted mine on May 2nd (a Sunday) and got the revision on May 7 (Thursday).

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like I may be installing these on my own as well. Called a few more places, and the one shop that said they could install headers wanted to see my car before they gave me an estimate. How high does the car need to be off the ground? I have a set of ramps and chocks I use for oil changes...will that be enough, or will I need to invest in some jacks/stands?

Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #39
Kevin.Cook

I would think Jack Stands would give you at least a decent amount of room to work with.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Well I've been wrenching on cars with my dad since I was six. Paid cash for my first dirt bike at 7 with my paper route and hay money. Bought my first car at 13 and rebuilt it bottom up. I love wrenching on cars and have a lot of experience. Idk about tuning fi cars but give me a carb motor and I'll tear into it all day long. Headers in these r the same as any other car just a bit tighter than most . With proper tools it's an easy job. I've seen some people it took 5 hrs a side and I can't help but feel bad for there lack of knowladge. But it's a fun job either way. If your a bit slower than just drink some beer relax and have fun

I heat you man!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
I heat you man!!!

Why's that??

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #42
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
I heat you man!!!

I didn't know we were heating each other up!
Old 05-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and ramps will do just fine. If you can get under the car on stands your fine. I would recommend a jack instead though just because it's easier to be able to lower the car when you need to. Only 6 bolts total need to be accessed from the bottom side

Old 05-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just a question for science... Once I take off my headers... would I be able to start the engine and rev it?
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:41 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Sure you could but you'd also greatly risk burning up your valves it would sound great though just to hear it )

Old 05-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Looks like I may be installing these on my own as well. Called a few more places, and the one shop that said they could install headers wanted to see my car before they gave me an estimate. How high does the car need to be off the ground? I have a set of ramps and chocks I use for oil changes...will that be enough, or will I need to invest in some jacks/stands?

I did mine with just ramps because I was too lazy to put the stands under it. A little snug but doable. It was a bit of a nuisance to squirm in and out. In my case I had to get a little help by using a small floor jack to lift the mid pipe up a bit to reconnect the headers to it.
DO NOT GET UNDER THE CAR RELYING ON A JACK TO HOLD IT UP.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I hear you Maybe I'll check out some stands this weekend...
Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Sure you could but you'd also greatly risk burning up your valves it would sound great though just to hear it )

Hmm if its just one rev it should be fine though right?
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Only 6 bolts total need to be accessed from the bottom side

All of the nuts are easy to get to from above. No need to go under to remove them. I used a 1/2" ratcheting wrench and a 1/2" socket with some extensions. I was even able to access two of the midpipe/header bolts from above. Had to climb under for the other two though.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Correct all r accessed from the top on removal. And if u have proper wrenches. Only one per side u have to do from under neath plus the collector bolts.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

. These were built by my brother in law and are awesome for working under the car!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

By the way 2 week back log???? So do you have to take the tune off the car while they update it?

Old 05-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #53
Kevin.Cook

No, I can use my existing tune. But to request any new tunes, it is a 2 week waiting period right now. Unfortunately, AMWill and Alex have been MIA for a bit so I cannot ask either one of them

Luckily, the shorty headers are tuned length. But I can't use their full potential till I have an updated tune.

Not to mention my rotten experience with trying to get ahold of someone at Bama yesterday. Was on hold for 15 minutes, then got voicemail. Left voicemail, and noone called back.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Screw shorties....lol HP!!! Long Tubes!! I do respect your choice!! But Thanks for the heads up on the wait! Been putting this off....know it's going to be a hassle! 2011 Ford Mustang 227 convertible .....V8 killer ...1977 corvette, Lexus 430C! More to come....

Old 05-15-2015, 11:13 AM   #55
Kevin.Cook

Well, I am still up in the air about going FI in the coming years, so I am holding on to the Shorties and 3.31s for now. May go 3.55s at most. But you typically don't want longtubes for FI. I believe it causes issues with the scavenging in the exhaust due to longer individual piping before the cats? Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

BBK Header Install info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
. These were built by my brother in law and are awesome for working under the car!

Cool! I've been looking at the wheel cribs offered by Race Ramps. Something just makes me edgy about crawling under a car using a jack and stands. They are kind of pricey though...then again I guess you can't put a price on safety.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I know Kevin it's a big decision and I've changed my mind about 6 times lol! I don't want to drop the dough on a convertible GT either!! Lol....I only got 17500 with mods in my car and I'm taking some V8's! Pretty cheap fun! So I don't know...one day SC, Turbo or GT....but right now I'm having lots of fun!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #58
Kevin.Cook

Also, it depends on if you want to finance again. Create monthly payments for a 30-40k car (assuming you want a newer on). Or shell out 7-10k upfront and be done with it? Everyone's situation is different. As long as you have fun and be safe, I do not see a wrong choice with this.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Now, I also JUST bought side scoops, a GT/CS rear diffuser, and a Roush front chin splitter. So this will spice up the looks of my car
Old 05-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #59
Kevin.Cook

Just got my updated tune in my mailbox. Ready for the install tomorrow night
Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
Musta seen you post on here. They have to be extremely busy.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:18 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

You send the sct 4 back to them?

Old 05-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #62
Kevin.Cook

Lol no. I mean email mailbox. XD

You're still in the stone age. Lol

Just kidding

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-16-2015, 08:44 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Very little experience with the sct 4! I just downloaded the tune when I got it.I figured they were going to send a file online...beings they gave us a cord to plug into the laptop....but I'd rather just send it all back !! I hate screwing around with the computer๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 AM   #64
Kevin.Cook

Lol. Most people cant wait to load their tune when they get it. By mailing it back to them, you sir have all the patience in the world.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #65
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Any progress on the shorty install yesterday Kevin?
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #66
Kevin.Cook

Sorry for the delay. Weekend has been a bit busy. Install was a success.

Unfortunately, due to the intense amount of rain in Texas (specifically the Austin and San Antonio area), the entire back yard to my uncle in-laws was soo muddy I could not get my car back there. Effectively leaving keeping the lift off limits. So we relied on basic hand tools, jack, and jack stands.

Driver's side header was easy to remove. Dropped the stock H/X pipe to allow clearance. Installing the BBK driver side header was easy. Only 1 bolt posed a problem on the passenger side. Which is the bottom last bolt (Not the 2 going to the midpipe).

Install ended up taking 3 hours. I was actually able to reuse the stock OEM gaskets since my car is fairly new and they were in really good condition. My uncle in-law who is an auto tech took 1 look at the BBK gaskets and tossed them in the trash. Said the material used was laughable.

So I loaded an updated tune and turned the car on. A ton of smoke came from the headers for about a minute. I assume this was the engine burning off was film/stuff that was inside the headers. The smell went away.

Car sounds a tad throatier now. Low end acceleration approved by a hair.

Took it on the back roads. He wanted to see what my car could do now with the few upgrades it has. All he had at the time was his wife's V6 2014 Dodge Challenger. Smoked it like a bag of w***. LOL

So all in all, I say it was worth the $315 I spent on them. For basic bolt ons, you can't expect a ton. Took some pics to share.

Getting my GT/CS diffuser, Roush Chin Splitter, and side scoops added this weekend. So I am even more excited
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150515_132147.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	182799   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_121829.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	182800  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_153955.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	182801   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150517_154001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	182802  

Old 05-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

I think it was worth it for the look alone, those look dead sexy
Any tips not mentioned previously? Mine are set to come in on Wednesday!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 PM   #68
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Very nice. The bottom last bolt on the passenger side. I've read horror stories about removing it. Elbowed ratcheting wrench or just your basic open end wrench do the trick if you don't mind my asking. (This is my next upgrade.)

BTW, I've checked off the Roush chin splitter and GT/CS deffuser on my ride already. Both changed the entire attitude of the car far more than images let on. You'll love it! With both pieces, the fear of cutting existing body work is far worse then it turns out to be.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
BTW, I've checked off the Roush chin splitter and GT/CS deffuser on my ride already. Both changed the entire attitude of the car far more than images let on. You'll love it! With both pieces, the fear of cutting existing body work is far worse then it turns out to be.
How hard was the Roush splitter install? Did you cut your factory splitter?
Old 05-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #70
Kevin.Cook

Yea a body shop is installing the chin splitter and diffuser for 200. I used a normal wrench.

Only tip i have is there is some tubes you can pop up and move out of the way for the passenger side to give a tad more room. You will know what I am talking about if you do the install yourself. Just make sure to put everything back. Lol.

About 30 minutes of the 3 hours for the install was letting the engine and stock manifolds cool off because I had to drive it to his house this morning. Don't try doing this right after driving the car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang