BBK Header Install info - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #71
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
How hard was the Roush splitter install? Did you cut your factory splitter?
I did Pretzel. The online videos had me nervous. It looked easy but felt very final and exacting when watching. When the moment of truth came, it is FAR easier than it looks. You are cutting to make room for the Roush to overlap it; only using it as a base to stiffen the assembly. If you do screw up (it will be hard to screw the pooch on this) whatever you do will be concealed. Trust me, jump in, the water is perfectly fine.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #72
Kevin.Cook

And please please make sure to drop the mid pipe. When I was sitting the passenger side bbk in, the midpipe was sitting just a tad high and would not allow the header to sit all the way down to put the bolts in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #73
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yea a body shop is installing the chin splitter and diffuser for 200. I used a normal wrench.

Only tip i have is there is some tubes you can pop up and move out of the way for the passenger side to give a tad more room. You will know what I am talking about if you do the install yourself. Just make sure to put everything back. Lol.

About 30 minutes of the 3 hours for the install was letting the engine and stock manifolds cool off because I had to drive it to his house this morning. Don't try doing this right after driving the car.

Thanks Kevin. Stories about that lone passenger bolt have me nervous I'll be all into it and not be able to get it done. I appreciate the 'real' install input over Youtube.

200 clams on the body work isn't a bad price. I was so exacting on each install, I likely spent 2-2.5 hours on each. Not as much from difficulty but from making sure everything was perfect. If you are a backyard guy like me, sometimes $200 is a small price to pay to save half a day in the sun.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #74
Kevin.Cook

Yea, i was able to put that bottom last bolt in the passenger side from under the car. Much easier. The bolts to the midpipe were cake.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:12 AM   #75
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Anyone know the recommended torque the header mounting nuts are supposed to be tightened down at?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Anyone know the recommended torque the header mounting nuts are supposed to be tightened down at?
Just use the standard german spec "gootentite".
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Agreed. Remember your going into an aluminum block. Expensive fix if you can't drill and tap yourself. I'd rather have to retorque later down the road (which u should check them after 500miles any ways) than have to drill and tap the block

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Hey Kevin, Let us know if you have to take the starter off to get all the bolts in the right side.???

PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #79
Kevin.Cook

Only thing I had to remove on the passenger's side was the Strut Tower Brace. The bolts to the midpipe and the very last bottom one on the passenger header, was done from beneath the car. The only reason these headers are difficult to install is due to the design of the tubing. They loop near the bolt holes. Making it hard to get any decent tool near them.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Starter does not have to come off but it makes things easier. I don't know why people complain about taking off the starter. It's only two bolts and its small and light. I didn't even unhook my battery I just took the starter off carefully wrapped in a hand towel and set it off to the side. Took me and extra five minutes total but probably saved me ten min of Fidel f.....g with a wrench
I have big hands so it was easier to me. If u have smaller hands I think you'd be ok leaving it on.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quick question, what size wrench will I need to unbolt the x pipe?

Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #82
Kevin.Cook

17 is what i needed to get the headers off the mid pipe. Then a 13 for the header bolts.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you! So, what would be the best way to tackle the bottom bolts for the headers? The top 6 bolts were apiece of cake...

Old 05-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #84
Kevin.Cook

Are you referring to the ones that go to the midpipe? If you have a small socket wrench with a deep 17 MM socket - AMAZING! I did not have one. I could get a normal one with a 17 MM socket on the bolts but I had maybe 1/2" To turn it - NOT HAPPENING! So we got under the car with an air ratchet and got them. If yours are too tough to turn, then you may need to get under the car regardless for leverage. My car is fairly new so the bolts had hardly any rust on them.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Oh sorry, I said bolts, but I guess I meant studs. I was referring to the 3 lower studs (6 altogether) for the headers...I guess coming up from the bottom would be the best way ?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #86
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Oh sorry, I said bolts, but I guess I meant studs. I was referring to the 3 lower studs (6 altogether) for the headers...I guess coming up from the bottom would be the best way ?

The drivers side I was able to get to all 6 with a ratcheting wrench. 1 of them was a little tight of a fit if I remember correctly.

On the passenger side, you can get to all of them except the rear lower 2 back ones. Best to get those from under the car. You COULD get the middle lower one from up top but it is a TIGHT fit that will need some finesse.

Make sure to move the coolant line on the passenger side like the instructions say. This will give you slightly more room to work with. I think you just need to undo 1 bolt. 10 MM I believe.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks! I did what I could tonight, figured I would tackle the rest on my day off tomorrow

Old 05-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #88
Kevin.Cook

That would be best. Engine and exhaust will be nice and cool.

You never want to do these things when you got a time restraint.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

So another question...when I put the bolts into the bank headers to secure the headers to the pipe, are the included nuts supposed to fit over the tops? The one but went on no problem, but there's no way it will fit on the opposite side!

Old 05-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

This is what I'm referring to, am I doing something wrong here? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432935504.916141.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	183698Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432935517.688581.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	183699

Old 05-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #91
Kevin.Cook

The tech I was working with put the nuts at the bottom of the stud. On the midpipe side.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm...so nothing to keep the stud in place at the top? Did you use the included washers? Thanks for the help!

Old 05-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Hmm...so nothing to keep the stud in place at the top? Did you use the included washers? Thanks for the help!

It's been a year since I did mine but I don't think there was a nut for the top. Didn't they only come with 4 bolts and 4 nuts? And don't the bolts screw into the headers flange?

If the stud screws into the borla flange, a top nut is not required.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #94
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
It's been a year since I did mine but I don't think there was a nut for the top. Didn't they only come with 4 bolts and 4 nuts? And don't the bolts screw into the headers flange?
You are correct sir. And yes, nothing holds them from the top. LOL
Old 05-29-2015, 05:12 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

It did come with 4 nuts , and yes, it looks like the bolts feed through the header (having some trouble with that too), but it came with like 8 washersClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432937526.657522.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	183705

Old 05-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It did come with 4 nuts , and yes, it looks like the bolts feed through the header (having some trouble with that too), but it came with like 8 washersAttachment 183705

I guess you are a beginner.
Those are 4 washers and 4 lock washers. One of each type go on each bolt.
1st washer then lock washer then nut.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Enough car talk for today.
Going out to shoot some pool and have a few drinks.
Good luck.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:35 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I guess you are a beginner.

You have no idea

Thanks for the help though

Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #99
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
You have no idea

Thanks for the help though

We all started somewhere. Let us know if you are able to finish your install.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Still working, but now I have another problem...so about half the studs came out with the nuts when I took off the factory headers. Most of them I was able to screw back easy enough, however two on the bottom drivers side won't go in more then a few turns...I've tried taking some studs out and trying different ones, but nothing seems to go in...I definitely don't want to strip these...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #101
Kevin.Cook

I did not run into this so I cannot comment anything helpful. I am not a bolt wiz. sorry
Old 05-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Just an update, got em all back in! Back to work!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #103
Kevin.Cook

How did it go Pretzel? And you need a avatar pic. Lol
Old 05-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Still working, but now I have another problem...so about half the studs came out with the nuts when I took off the factory headers. Most of them I was able to screw back easy enough, however two on the bottom drivers side won't go in more then a few turns...I've tried taking some studs out and trying different ones, but nothing seems to go in...I definitely don't want to strip these...

This happened to me as well. You're going to need to get the nuts off of the studs, then put the studs back into the head. Be careful not to strip the aluminum head because then you will be in trouble! Here's how I got the nuts off the studs: submerged all of them in PB blaster or wd40 for about 30min in a little bowl. Then, I believe it was a 5.5mm head on the end of the stud so I used a socket and twisted the stud while holding the nut with the 1/2" wrench. Then when inserting the stud back into the head, I again used the 5.5mm socket and threaded it back down into the head. You can only go so much before it stops, then give it another 1/4 turn or so just so it's snug. Again, DO NOT over tighten the studs into the head or you will strip the thread.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Well although you already got them back in, you should consider owning a bench grinder with a wire wheel . Comes in handy for cleaning up rusty bolt threads, etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire wheel Bench grinder.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	183773

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang