BBK Header Install info - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:27 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Success! Holy crap, that was an experience, I'm pooped. I really appreciate everyone's help! Thanks for putting up with a noob

And props to everyone who pulled this off in 2 or 3 hours. I would have been happy finishing in 4 hours or less!

Kevin,
I didn't notice a ticking sounds from inside, when I popped the hood, there was kind of a ticking/strange rhythmic sounds, but honestly I wasn't sure if it was coming from the headers or the fan belt. I'll let you know if I start to hear one though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-30-14.42.53.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	183774   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-30-14.43.10.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1,015.8 KB
ID:	183775  

Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Success! Holy crap, that was an experience, I'm pooped. I really appreciate everyone's help! Thanks for putting up with a noob

And props to everyone who pulled this off in 2 or 3 hours. I would have been happy finishing in 4 hours or less!

Kevin,
I didn't notice a ticking sounds from inside, when I popped the hood, there was kind of a ticking/strange rhythmic sounds, but honestly I wasn't sure if it was coming from the headers or the fan belt. I'll let you know if I start to hear one though!
Don't know what other if any mods you have but did you notice any difference with exhaust sound and/or performance?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #108
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
Whenever you do headers, it's always a good thing after 50-100 miles, that you re torque them, when they are hot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Don't know what other if any mods you have but did you notice any difference with exhaust sound and/or performance?
Maybe a little more "oomph" in power and throttle response, but what I really love is the sound. I have the Borla S-type axle backs, and while they were a big improvement over stock, I just wanted something a tone that was a little deeper, and these definitely helped with that!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3.7 View Post
Whenever you do headers, it's always a good thing after 50-100 miles, that you re torque them, when they are hot...
Thanks! I put a reminder down
Old 05-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #111
Kevin.Cook

Pretzel - i really only hear the ticking under accelerating. That is about all. And i isolated it to the drivers side. But everything is tight. I checked it and no leaks. So i guess i live with it.

Congrats on the install!
Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Pretzel - i really only hear the ticking under accelerating. That is about all. And i isolated it to the drivers side. But everything is tight. I checked it and no leaks. So i guess i live with it.
I guess you should have invested in new OEM gaskets

Kidding aside, my humble advice for any newbies would be (sorry if I missed these if they have already been given):
Be careful of the OEM metal gaskets...they can give you a nasty cut! Looking back, I probably would have invested in a set of gloves.
On the lower middle header nut, use the box end of your ratcheting wrench! I got it good and tight with the closed end part of the wrench, only to discover that I had effectively trapped my wrench between the stud and the header.
This might just be a fluke, but I had to remove the driver side header (after tightening) because the piping would not clear the bbk studs...if this had happened on the passenger side, I probably would have cried.
Finally, if at all possible, get a friend to help you. I did this on my own, but an extra pair of hands would have been extremely helpful, especially when re-bolting the exhaust pipe to the new headers. Can't complain too much though, I did have a loyal companion with me all day to give his moral support. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-30-13.41.29.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	183800  
Old 06-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Congrats on the install!

So I think I do hear the ticking after all, between 2 and 3k...faint, but it's there. You'll have to let me know if your new header clears it up

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #114
Kevin.Cook

Wont be replacing mine. But a shop is swapping the oem gasket with another one, and they are going to inspect the welds and retorque the bolts. Hopefully that helps.

Is your ticking on the drivers side? Mine is near where the header meets the midpipe.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wont be replacing mine. But a shop is swapping the oem gasket with another one, and they are going to inspect the welds and retorque the bolts. Hopefully that helps.

Is your ticking on the drivers side? Mine is near where the header meets the midpipe.

Oh ok sorry, I thought you were getting the header replaced as well.

As far as I can tell its only on the drivers side, but I'll have to look into some more tomorrow. It's pretty faint, like you said, it can easily be drowned out by the radio, so if nothing appears loose or leaking, I can live with it

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang