Adding resonators? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Adding resonators?

I currently have roush axle backs and am thinking about getting a catted x pipe standard length. But I here that that roush and x pipes are a horrible combo lol would adding resonators make it sound nice and deep? If I were to add resonators, where exactly would they be welded in, the x pipe itself? Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Stevenbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Probably. They would cut a small portion out and weld them in. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Probably. They would cut a small portion out and weld them in. Someone correct me if i am wrong.

Where would I weld them in? The x pipe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Yea. Usually shortly after the cats. You can compare to your existing one for reference. But i am assuming you are going with the high flow catted x pipe?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I was thinking BBK standard length x pipe that come with high flow cats and Vibrant 1792 Bottle Style Resinators ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E3VHVO..._HEtvvb1CKSN9H ).

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it might help. But should still sound really raspy. You are putting the two most raspy sounding item together lol
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Shorty headers along with the resonators may tame some of the sound.

And autoanything has been known lately to have the hook up on bbk shorty ceramics. But you will have to call them.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I heard h pipes are deeper than x pipes but they are more expensive. I would get a lethal performance offroad H pipe but they require a tune and don't wanna spend money on a tuner.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenbones View Post
Lol I heard h pipes are deeper than x pipes but they are more expensive. I would get a lethal performance offroad H pipe but they require a tune and don't wanna spend money on a tuner.

I have the roush ab with an o/r x pipe and lt headers and it was loud I had a catted x pipe and it was still crazy loud. I love the loudness it has with the catted x pipe but it was to much for everyday driving. So I added magnaflow glasspack resonators and it calmed down alot. It was a bit low so I switched out the catted pipe for the non catted and I love the sound!!!! It's a great muscle sound and of course at WOT it gets a bit raspy but it's nothing that kills the sound.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
luisagordo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisagordo31 View Post
I have the roush ab with an o/r x pipe and lt headers and it was loud I had a catted x pipe and it was still crazy loud. I love the loudness it has with the catted x pipe but it was to much for everyday driving. So I added magnaflow glasspack resonators and it calmed down alot. It was a bit low so I switched out the catted pipe for the non catted and I love the sound!!!! It's a great muscle sound and of course at WOT it gets a bit raspy but it's nothing that kills the sound.

Do you have any videos and pics of your setup? I would love to see it!

Old 05-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't really have any only woth a ghost cam and how it sounded before the resonators but I'll make one tomorrow and send them!

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Do you have any videos and pics of your setup? I would love to see it!

Old 05-18-2015, 01:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't really have any only woth a ghost cam and how it sounded before the resonators but I'll make one tomorrow and send them!

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 AM ----------

That would be awesome thanks.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Sorry OP you had this coming. Why are you going with an X pipe? X pipe is the most raspy mid pipe for a car and you already have loud mufflers and a v6. So expect it to be raspy. You should have planned out everything before you embarked on this journey. Resonators are complete crap, and do nothing for drone, leveling rasp, and only move the tone around to something of a fart cannon on a small motor Honda.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

They've worked for me but I am looking for a better setup I just haven't heard anything better :/ what do you suggest? I really like my sound and I've had many compliments saying it's perfect but idk I feel like it can be better...I have the LT headers already I think it would be a pain to switch out now no?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Sorry OP you had this coming. Why are you going with an X pipe? X pipe is the most raspy mid pipe for a car and you already have loud mufflers and a v6. So expect it to be raspy. You should have planned out everything before you embarked on this journey. Resonators are complete crap, and do nothing for drone, leveling rasp, and only move the tone around to something of a fart cannon on a small motor Honda.
What do you think about the mrt h pipe woth bbk shorties and roush ab?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you think about the mrt h pipe woth bbk shorties and roush ab?

The high flow cat h pipe from them will give you hell when used with shorty headers. They are more designed for the cast iron headers. I'm partially not a fan of Roush. They are a straight pipe with a barrel around them for resonance properties.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not as happy with the roush either I wanna change them I put up a post about lts or shorties but idk I'm thinking maybe going to get an h pipe and change the roush for some straight pipes

Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They've worked for me but I am looking for a better setup I just haven't heard anything better :/ what do you suggest? I really like my sound and I've had many compliments saying it's perfect but idk I feel like it can be better...I have the LT headers already I think it would be a pain to switch out now no?

An H pipe and borla. If you listen to the s types, they sound like Roush but no drone, and more refined. I have a pro chamber, but that's only if you want a classic hollow muscle car sound. Long tubes are already very raspy.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking thinking that but the borlas cost some money

Old 05-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook

I have an Airaid CAI, BBK TB, BBK Shorties, Borla S-Types, and a Bama Race tune. IMO, my car sounds and runs amazing. I get ALOT of compliments of people digging my "5.0". Then I have to explain to them it is just a 6. The S-types on their own sound a tad ricey. The Shorties smoothed them out and now it sounds a little throatier. I have thought about a cut and clamp x pipe because if I do the BBK High Flow Catted X pipe, it will sound like a$$.

This is my experience though

Yes by going from LTs to Shorties you will lose mid to high range power, but your sound would be as high/raspy. At the end of the day it is what you want. Do you want something that sounds good and frees up a few ponies? Or do you want something loud that gives the most power? You gotta weigh the options.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have an Airaid CAI, BBK TB, BBK Shorties, Borla S-Types, and a Bama Race tune. IMO, my car sounds and runs amazing. I get ALOT of compliments of people digging my "5.0". Then I have to explain to them it is just a 6. The S-types on their own sound a tad ricey. The Shorties smoothed them out and now it sounds a little throatier. I have thought about a cut and clamp x pipe because if I do the BBK High Flow Catted X pipe, it will sound like a$$.

Yes by going from LTs to Shorties you will lose mid to high range power, but your sound would be as high/raspy. At the end of the day it is what you want. Do you want something that sounds good and frees up a few ponies? Or do you want something loud that gives the most power? You gotta weigh the options.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

Yea your right I mean when I didn't have resonators it was extremely loud like no car convo and a light tap to the pedal it screamed but at high RPM's it was raspy I was thinking of kicking out the resonators and going with magnaflow instead of roush ab.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have no catalytic converters, and mine sounds very nice. Very little rasp. Of coarse it sounds like a v6 but no real rasp.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have no catalytic converters, and mine sounds very nice. Very little rasp. Of coarse it sounds like a v6 but no real rasp.
You have magnaflows?

Old 05-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have magnaflows?

No but I can point you to what you want to know about them. You looking at comps, RTR, or the streets?

Stay away from RTR, they are just the streets painted black and priced up more. Comps are just straight pipe deletes, a muffler shop can do that for you for $40. Magnaflow streets are odd. On stock mid pipes, they are quiet and throaty. On a off road setup they sound nice but get exotic and raspy up past 4500 rpm
Old 05-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No but I can point you to what you want to know about them. You looking at comps, RTR, or the streets?

Stay away from RTR, they are just the streets painted black and priced up more. Comps are just straight pipe deletes, a muffler shop can do that for you for $40. Magnaflow streets are odd. On stock mid pipes, they are quiet and throaty. On a off road setup they sound nice but get exotic and raspy up past 4500 rpm
Hmmmmm ok and compared to the roush which one is better? Should I just go get straight pipes?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That would be awesome thanks.

This is a quick video I made I hope it helps tell me what you think!

Watch "2014 mustang v6 roush ab, o/r x pipe, lt headers" on YouTube
2014 mustang v6 roush ab, o/r x pipe, lt headers: https://youtu.be/aVMkHZsLxS8

Quote:

Old 05-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have the bbk catted pipe here as well if I put that with the magnaflow streets would it sound good?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang