Roush Axle-back install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Ohio
Roush Axle-back install

Hey guys so I get my stang back from the shop either tomorrow or Monday andthe first thing I want to do is install my Roush exhaust. Im only 18 and I've never done one before so I was wondering how to install without taking the midpipe off. I've heard some things where you can lift up the back and undo the 2 clamps, pry off the tacweld and just install the new system but the instructions for that way are slim to non. So just looking for some install advice for my 2012 v6 Roush axleback. Thanks guys!

nelly012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Region: California
The best way to learn how to do it, is to do it. It's very easy. There are 2 bolts for the clamps and then all you have to worry about are the hangers. I find it easiest to take of the front clamp, two 13mm bolts per side. I could do a swap in less than an hour, very easy.

Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: California
Doing axle backs is an easy job man. Just take your time and the good thing about doing that work on your car is you learn more about your car. I've done all my work on my car except for my gears and also doing the work yourself you will most likely do it better than any shop (learned this from prior experiences).

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: New Hampshire
Back it up on ramps. Unbolt the stock exhaust clamps. It may also be easier to go ahead and unbolt the hangers from the car to get the stock pipes off, then reassemble in revearse order. It is a super easy job but plan on taking your time..2.5 hours by yourself first time.
You'll want a hammer to help coax things along too.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Illinois
Always good videos on YouTube to help out if you need it also.
I never did any work on cars or my car until my axle backs. Year later I installed the boss manifold and h pipe. It's common sense know-how and a desire to learn, but videos are helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dj_james123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Region: New Jersey
yeah, there's a great and funny video from a guy called 420powersports on YouTube and he installed ataks on his with a gopro strapped to his head the whole time. it's raw uncut footage and it's like an hour long, but i learned a lot from it. plus it's funny hearing him talk to himself and curse the mufflers off and stuff.. hahah good video, I suggest you give it a watch. I watched it like twice before I did it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
2014 Ford Mustang 3.7 Premium 6-speed:
BORLA ATAK 3.7 FOR SALE! PM me for info
Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace,
Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter,
Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
Region: Washington
Getting extra clamps before you start is a good idea. After 50k mine looked to be in good shape but we broke one during the swap.
V6Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Region: Arizona
I followed the directions from AM and it was pretty easy.

Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang