Strange Problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Strange Problem

This morning, I thought I noticed something in my peripheral while driving. Something with the gauge cluster. After a few minutes I caught what was happening. Every 5 - 10 seconds, the text area that displays the mileage / mpg etc would flicker service due soon, and both the traction control lights on the left, both the on and off would flicker in sync with the text area. This was for a split second..barely long enough to realize what it was displaying. My Oil is at 75% since I had just changed it last month. I doubt a short anywhere since this is only specific lights/message and not an overall on/off type flicker. The traction control on/off button works fine. After I got to work however, when putting the car in Reverse, the text display showed Advance Track On ?????

Any ideas?? This is very concerning.

Some more info:
Last night...I installed a new Radar Detector using existing power wire from the old RD, so I made no electrical changes. The only difference is this unit has BlueTooth built in. I tried turning the RD off, unplugged it, and turned BT off on my phone and it made no difference. My phone is mounted to the left most center vent on the dash, but even moving it away or closer to the gauge cluster made no difference. I did not try turning it off completely. It is also new..An S6

Several months ago I installed a Kenwood NAV/Stereo Head Unit..which using the idata/Maestro kit..plugs into the factory harness from the old radio. I don';t think this would have anything to do with the gauge cluster acting like that.??

I am running the Bama 93 Octane Tune and this was also installed / setup in March.

I drive my car over 100 miles a day and have not noticed anything untill this morning. I doubt I would have missed this issue in the past.

Any suggestions appreciated. I am still under whatever warranty Ford will still honor from the factory considering I've tuned, changed out the stereo etc.

I'm at 20K miles and never experienced anything major thus far.

Could this be TUNE related??
2014 Base V6 MT - Deep Impact Blue
MMD Hood Struts / GT500 Spoiler(Black) / MMD Quarter Window Louvers (Black) / UPR Oil Can / SR Perf Shock-Strut Tower Brace / Replaced Coolant Overflow hose Bama X4/SF4 with Race Tune
IzzyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Sometimes you can get a bad grounding when adding electronics. I had this happen when I manually wired in the MYColor lights. What I did, what leave the battery unplugged for 1 hour. I also pressed the brake a few times while it was unplugged (I heard from somewhere that this helps get rid of any existing charge).

Afterwards, my problem went away. Seeing as this is an easy/free troubleshooting step, I would try this first.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'll give it a try but no factory wires etc. where altered or spliced into for any of this. Everything I've done has been plug n play.

Thanks
MMD Hood Struts / GT500 Spoiler(Black) / MMD Quarter Window Louvers (Black) / UPR Oil Can / SR Perf Shock-Strut Tower Brace / Replaced Coolant Overflow hose Bama X4/SF4 with Race Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Well, rebooting in any situation can be a good starting point. Does your car have any warranty left? If what you try doesn't work, I would take it in. (Load factory tune first)
Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Take it to your Ford dealership and get your master cylinder checked out. I have had 2 of those replaced in my 2014 in the first 5 months I owned it.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

My brakes are fine.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Bahahahaha
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang