JLT Oil separator -catch can - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Have you ever compared the different brands? Or know if there has been a test to determine which can collects the most oil per x amount of miles? I'd be interested in the results.
Unfortunately when the can is on the car there's really no way to tell how much oil may be making it through the can vs how much is being caught. Every motor will also have different levels of blow by, there are just a lot of variables to consider.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
JLT Oil separator -catch can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Unfortunately when the can is on the car there's really no way to tell how much oil may be making it through the can vs how much is being caught. Every motor will also have different levels of blow by, there are just a lot of variables to consider.

So if there's no hard evidence, then most of these statements are based on opinions and assumptions?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Well, they can be based on experience, i personally was just trying to avoid giving a hard answer because i lack hard data.

For me personally, on my last 2 cars i've had like 5 different catch cans, and have installed probably another 5-7 on other platforms with various boost and/or bolt on levels. My last boosted car i ran a combination system with a vented can and a sealed can with a series of check valves to basically catch blow by during DD, and vent CC pressure during boost. I've used baffled cans, cans with filter media, cans that are wide open, cans with 1/2" openings, cans with 3/8" openings, cans with 5/8" openings, different lengths of hose, mounted above the cylinder head (to promote drain back of oil into the head), mounted below the cylinder head, mounted close, mounted far...

Really, just personally going off of that and what i have seen, i prefer the firewall mounted bob's for that reason. It sits above the cylinder head to promote drainback of oil that falls out of suspension in the hose. On that same note, the large diameter, long distance of hose allows the oil that chance to fall out of suspension and coagulate in the can, as well as in the hose.

Like i said, while i lack specific data to say "X can is better than Y by Z amount" ( i doubt anyone can really say that) i choose based off what i have seen. I believe JLT just sells on their convenience factor in that install takes 30 seconds, but i find their can design (the whole package) to be sub par. UPR sells a great product, but i still feel their design could be optimized by having a longer hose length, though i think their can design to be superior to Bob's, they just compromise by trying to offer the easy install too. Bob's has a pretty good can design, and i feel the best mount. If someone else made a firewall mount and a better can, then that is the brand i would be recommending, but until that time comes, my money is going to Bob's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #39
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I have a JLT and it works just fine

When I empty it about every 1,000 or 1,500 miles it always has oil in the can. I have checked the hose on the front to see if it has oil dripping and it never has. It seems to stay dry. The inlet hose is always wet with oil.
To me that really means that the oil separator is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.
All of these thing work about the same no matter who made them. You just better have a hose that will not collapse and good ends on the hoses.
The JLT uses genuine "FORD" hoses and ends. It just plugs in with no problems.
I can not find one single fault with it at all.
I'm thinking that some of these people (EXPERTS) just never even owned one or they would know that the JLT is a very good item that works just fine.

Just use what your going to be comfortable with. Anything is better then using none at all.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #40
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
These are such fun threads to read, they're never ending
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I think we are way over thinking this thread, its a catch can. As long as none of the above brands cause any damage to our engines its better than what our cars came with.......nothing.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thank you FastFord13

You get a and
I know i'm happy with my JLT.
Ronnie
Old 05-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #43
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Agreed, so I'm thinking I'll need some new brake pads soon. I'm thinking Hawk or EBC or anyone have some suggestions to upgrade from stock?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 05-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Assuming this shouldnt be a new thread:
what kind of driving do you do?
Are you on the stock tires?
Old 05-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #45
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ah hell, I'm just screwin' around tryin' to lighten things up a bit. I'll start a break pad thread after I've exhausted some searches
Old 05-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

lol i'm bored at work and was ready to go for it, the days where its dead around here are painful.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Is there always going to be something better out there.....yes.

I got a JLT used for a good price. Mine also catches oil and the hose going into the intake is dry also so I will assume it is doing it's job.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #48
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I think we are way over thinking this thread, its a catch can. As long as none of the above brands cause any damage to our engines its better than what our cars came with.......nothing.

Sent from LG G3.
No, this is over thinking it:

How many cans can a catch can catch, if a catch can could catch cans?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post

Can a catch can even catch cans?

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Lol, good one.
Catch a can to can catch
..................ahh **** it lol!

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Makes muh HURRNGRAA!
mustanguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
So..I read this thread a couple of weeks ago, and did some online comparisons and decided to order the UPR can for my Cyclone. It came today and three separate rather strong adult males each over 220lbs, struggled to eventually unscrew the can, and when he did, the o-ring fell to the table in three pieces. It was well lubed, but looks like the machining is way too tight. Seems like a 1.25 ID ring stretched to the diameter of the top of the unit, making it thin enough to fit when screwing on the can. I visited two hardware stores and could only find some plumbing o rings which I doubt can handle the oil long term. The only ones that would fit are too thick and the can can't screw on all the way.

Anyone know the exact size of the original and where I can get it?

Also..to get a better grip on the top, when trying to unscrew it, I took both hoses off. Which side of the can top goes to the PCV side?? The Center tube? or the Outer. I imagine it's the center?? I hope I explained it so someone understands

Thanks
2014 Base V6 MT - Deep Impact Blue
MMD Hood Struts / GT500 Spoiler(Black) / MMD Quarter Window Louvers (Black) / UPR Oil Can / SR Perf Shock-Strut Tower Brace / Replaced Coolant Overflow hose Bama X4/SF4 with Race Tune
IzzyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:03 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyMan View Post
So..I read this thread a couple of weeks ago, and did some online comparisons and decided to order the UPR can for my Cyclone. It came today and three separate rather strong adult males each over 220lbs, struggled to eventually unscrew the can, and when he did, the o-ring fell to the table in three pieces. It was well lubed, but looks like the machining is way too tight. Seems like a 1.25 ID ring stretched to the diameter of the top of the unit, making it thin enough to fit when screwing on the can. I visited two hardware stores and could only find some plumbing o rings which I doubt can handle the oil long term. The only ones that would fit are too thick and the can can't screw on all the way.

Anyone know the exact size of the original and where I can get it?

Also..to get a better grip on the top, when trying to unscrew it, I took both hoses off. Which side of the can top goes to the PCV side?? The Center tube? or the Outer. I imagine it's the center?? I hope I explained it so someone understands

Thanks

Contact UPR about it they will send out replacement parts. I will agree mine was a bear to unscrew but that's a good thing right?
Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Contact UPR about it they will send out replacement parts. I will agree mine was a bear to unscrew but that's a good thing right?
I will. They where closed when this all happened. Yes it should be tight but I should not need a new o ring every time I open it. Piecing the three pieces together, it looks like it is the size of a quarter so it is definitely stretched a lot, and it needs to be since there is very little clearance for it in the groove. Hopefully it all works out.
MMD Hood Struts / GT500 Spoiler(Black) / MMD Quarter Window Louvers (Black) / UPR Oil Can / SR Perf Shock-Strut Tower Brace / Replaced Coolant Overflow hose Bama X4/SF4 with Race Tune
Old 06-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #55
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Wow, That sounds like a high quality product to me.

My J.L.T. catch can must really be junk because 17,000 plus miles ago I took it out of the box, Opened it to see how it worked, screwed it back together, took off the stock Ford lines, Plugged in the genuine Ford lines already on the JLT can, Drove the car from Florida to Pennsylvania and checked the can, (About 1,000 miles) cleaned out the oil it caught, Drove home after another 1,000 plus miles. I unplug it and cleaned out the oil it caught. I could not believe how nice and quality made the JLT catch can is. It unplugs from the engine, Unscrews easy, Caught the blow-by and so trouble free.
This catch can does everything it is supposed to do, It is high quality and very easy to use. It is sturdy, used Genuine hard FORD oil lines and plug ends. When it is on sale at American Muscle and you use your discount code, It is not expensive.

No, I do not work for jlt or American Muscle but I do know what Quality is. I sold Motorcycle parts for 27 years and leaned about quality or function a very long time ago.
Ronnie
Old 06-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Yup
Old 06-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
My J.L.T. catch can must really be junk because 17,000 plus miles ago I took it out of the box, Opened it to see how it worked, screwed it back together, took off the stock Ford lines, Plugged in the genuine Ford lines already on the JLT can, Drove the car from Florida to Pennsylvania and checked the can, (About 1,000 miles) cleaned out the oil it caught, Drove home after another 1,000 plus miles. I unplug it and cleaned out the oil it caught. I could not believe how nice and quality made the JLT catch can is. It unplugs from the engine, Unscrews easy, Caught the blow-by and so trouble free.
This catch can does everything it is supposed to do, It is high quality and very easy to use. It is sturdy, used Genuine hard FORD oil lines and plug ends. When it is on sale at American Muscle and you use your discount code, It is not expensive.

No, I do not work for jlt or American Muscle but I do know what Quality is. I sold Motorcycle parts for 27 years and leaned about quality or function a very long time ago.
Ronnie
Drove from mass to florida and Florida to mass caught about 20 ml of oil in my Jlt catch can. Can't believe how much oil it caught.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

You guys with JLT cans have tuners? 2 simple idle datalogs would easily put the vacuum leak theories to rest, one with the can, and one without.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #59
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
Same here, Ronnie. Installed mine 16,000 miles ago and absolutely no issues. On my last oil change at the dealer, I had them double check for any vacuum leaks which was a negative. Great product, my Mustangs happy and so am I
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same here, Ronnie. Installed mine 16,000 miles ago and absolutely no issues. On my last oil change at the dealer, I had them double check for any vacuum leaks which was a negative. Great product, my Mustangs happy and so am I
Call me skeptical of dealership techs to do anything other than a visual inspection, id prefer to see some hard data I personally am not a fan of the JLT, but datalogs dont lie, and i am prepared to eat my words if we get some logs.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You guys with JLT cans have tuners? 2 simple idle datalogs would easily put the vacuum leak theories to rest, one with the can, and one without.

I ran ghost cam for a show as I normally do and bam, didn't lope. Changed to stock line, cut the car on, loped. Pretty clear there bro.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I second data log. I do them frequently along with pulling plugs. Not saying I don't trust a tuner but it is YOUR car. And SOMEONE ELSE is messing with how it runs.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #63
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Voltwings

I have no idea what your trying to say. The JLT can uses the GENUINE ""FORD"" HARD HOSE AND ENDS THAT THE ORIGINAL LINE HAVE ON THEM Nothing different or a crappy soft hose and something you have to "RIG" up to connect the hose to the car.
The JLT is no worse or no better than any other oil catch can that is installed properly. BUT it does what it is supposed to do without giving any problems at all. It works just fine and is easy to empty and collects blow-by.
Is there any better I DON"T THINK SO Is there any just as good? YES,AS FAR AS THEY ARE INSTALLED PROPERLY WITH THE CORRECT FITTINGS AND HARD UN-COLLAPSIBLE HOSE LINES

It's really hard to find any fault with the JLT at all.
Ronnie
Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

The hoses are one thing, but there's 3 points of failure introduced with any can:

1-2. Where each fitting comes into the can. If the fitting screws into the can, that is a potential point of failure in the form of a vacuum leak, that is true of any can.

3. Where the can screws / unscrews to empty the oil. This is another point of failure for vacuum leak. The Bob's uses a ball valve on the bottom, which i believe seals better than screwing / unscrewing the can.

Now, this is true of any can with screwed fittings, but since the legitimacy of the JLT is the issue here, i said it is very simple to prove either way with a few 30 second datalogs. Datalogs don't lie, they will show a leak, or they will show its tight, and that will be that. However, no good data set can be based on one example, which is why it would be nice if 2 or 3 people would offer up a few minutes of their time to do this.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #65
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Vacuum leak--DUH

If there was enough vacuum leak it would have oil all over the place at the leak site. Plus , The line going from the catch can back into the manifold would be wet and dripping not dry.
Apparently you never had or do not have or probably never seen a JLT catch can in person or installed on someone else's car. I'm sure if the JLT was really as bad as you say it is, there sure would be about a million ruined Mustang engines out there.
Of course there are other brands just as good but they all do the same thing. None are better then another when installed properly with the proper connections and hose lines that will not collapse due to getting hot and soft.

As far as a vacuum leak, When """ANY""" modern car starts having idling problems what is the first thing you check???? THE PCV VALVE unless you are the worst mechanic in the world or a thief mechanic.

No, I'm done and going to just keep my crap piece of junk JLT oil catch can installed until my engine is totally destroyed by a vacuum leak that I don't have.

Ronnie
Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

First, a vacuum leak is unmetered air coming into the engine. Im not sure how unmetered air coming into the can translates to oil coming out of the can?

Second, my doubt has never been vacuum leaks, my issue has been i don't think it does the best job of catching blow by. If you have a leaky roof you can place a cup or a bucket underneath, and both will catch water, but one will catch more than the other. If you've never thought to use a bucket though, you'd assume the cup does a good enough job. This is my issue, i just believe there are better separators at collecting the blow by.

However, i actually have seen a JLT catch can. It was on my friends Boss, and was being remote tuned by Shaun@AED, a very well known and respected tuner, who told my friend he had a vacuum leak. My friend removed the JLT and suddenly, had no more leak. After a few revisions he decided to put the can back on without telling the tuner, and his next email from Shaun told him to take the JLT back off because it was throwing the car off. He knew the can had been put back on the car. Like i said, Datalogs do not lie, vacuum leaks are plain and simple. Also, these cars are capable of adding fuel trims up to 50% of the commanded MAF value... you can be leaking enough air to require 30-40% more fuel and never even know. This is why i said the only sure fire way to know is with datalogs. Hell, if a guy in California can tell a guy in Texas is car has a vacuum leak, you cant argue with that.

Others have stated the can has leaks, and i said there is a very easy way to either prove or disprove that, plain and simple, and im trying to be objective about this and help you out Ronnie, but you're being unnecessarily belligerent at this point.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #67
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just don't see a problem with my catch can

I like you and do value some of your opinions so lets shake hands and just:
Agree to Disagree

Ronnie
Old 06-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Temper Temper

For what its worth...the original hard OEM Ford line I am replacing with the UPR can, is collapsed and practically flat in the middle.

I'm not sure why people are so passionate about which choice they made. It is my opinion that the UPR is very well made. The problem I have is with the O RING...Could have been an error in assembly or a bad O RING. Has nothing to do with the quality/build.

I worked in a machine shop for 17 years, on Bridgeport vertical mills, Horizontal Metal lathes, Surface grinders etc. I do not have a JLT to compare to, but I have no mechanical nor fitment issues with the UPR.

I also don't care enough about this to YELL AND GET UPSET in my responses.

Lets just be done with this.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #69
Kevin.Cook

I would like to be the first to say I like chocolate milk....

XD
Old 06-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #70
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Come on Keven

Skim Milk is way better for you.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang