Tunes and warranty work - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Tunes and warranty work

What do I need to do before i take my car into the ford dealership to have them check out why my gears are so loud? I tuned my car 2 or 3 weeks ago so do I just return it to stock?

2013 Black Mustang 3.7, Pony package, cold weather package, Borla Ataks, Bama 93R tune, SR Performance strut tower brace
austin3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I would just return it back to the Ford stock tune

While it is there they may or may not update the CPU. They generally will do that if they get an update from Ford because of EPA or something.
Chances are they won't but why take the chance.
Is it your Transmission or the rear differential making the noise?
If it is the rear they will probably just add a can of "STINKY" to it. "STINKY" is an additive that most all manufactures go to for differential noise. It usually solves the problem. If it does not, then they will replace parts.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
While it is there they may or may not update the CPU. They generally will do that if they get an update from Ford because of EPA or something.

Chances are they won't but why take the chance.

Is it your Transmission or the rear differential making the noise?

If it is the rear they will probably just add a can of "STINKY" to it. "STINKY" is an additive that most all manufactures go to for differential noise. It usually solves the problem. If it does not, then they will replace parts.

Ronnie

It sounds like the gears are whining. My grandpa was riding with me one day and he knows all about cars and he said it sounds like something might be wrong with the pinion gear. It seems like the whining has gotten much worse than when I bought my car. It's extremely noticeable on the highway but the noise pretty much goes completely away once I take my foot off of the gas.

2013 Black Mustang 3.7, Pony package, cold weather package, Borla Ataks, Bama 93R tune, SR Performance strut tower brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Get it checked out as soon as possible.

No differential is ever supposed to make a noise.
Like I said, They will probably add "Stinky" the additive. This stuff usually works great but if it doesn't, then the rear needs to come apart.
Ronnie
Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
What are the odds of them not doing anything for free because he has a tune?

I have the $ right now and have been debating ordering a tuner for my 2012, but I'm scared I'm going to have some silly problem like this down the road and get denied a warranty fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleXXXps View Post
What are the odds of them not doing anything for free because he has a tune?

I have the $ right now and have been debating ordering a tuner for my 2012, but I'm scared I'm going to have some silly problem like this down the road and get denied a warranty fix.

That's what I'm thinking. Like should I just flash it back to stock or are there extra steps I should take?

Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Thumbs up Flash it back to stock

Definitely return it back to the stock tune and put at least 50 miles on the car before you take it in. The dealer will probably check to see if the car has the stock tune when it comes to any warranty work concerning the power train (engine, transmission, deferential, etc.) when the car is under warranty.

I just had some warranty work on the passenger side electric seat. I had returned my car back to stock before taking it in. There was no problems at the dealership, but this was not power train related, so I don't know if they checked for the stock tune or not. Either way, I would advise flashing it back to stock as I had mentioned at the top of my reply to play it safe.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They won't check for a tune

Why you need to put the stock tune back in is because if they decide to update your PCU it will mess up your tune.

If it was an engine noise they may or may not even check. I doubt it. I have been asking the actual mechanics that belong to my Muscle car club about this and all three from two different brands of dealer all have tunes on their cars. They all say they have never had to check if a car was tuned when repairing anything. Two Ford guys and a Dodge guy.
They do say that if someone over revs an engine and the rev limiter was tuned out. The warranty would not cover any of the damage.
In cases like this, The Factory rep would want to check the computer to see if it was retuned. Probably a burned up transmission would get you warranty problems with a tune if not tuned properly.
Rear differential whine, they will fix that weather you have a tune or not.
Ronnie
Old 05-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
The dealer will be able to tell if the car was tuned even if put back to the factory tune. The aftermarket tune will leave a fingerprint.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I might skip tuning mine for these exact kinds of warranty reasons. I'm fairly happy with my car stock, especially coming from a tiny 4 banger. Maybe once it's paid off and warranties are up I'll mess with performance stuff, but not right now.

aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just an update, I took my car in this morning to Ford because my differential has been making an awful whining noise. So about a week ago I returned my car back the the stock tune and since then drove just over 250 miles. Well the service guy at the dealership just called to let me know that they'd still replace some parts in my differential even though the car had been "modified". My point here is I guess they can see if the car has been tuned even if you remove the tune and drive 50+ miles.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Correct, I don't care what anyone says, it'll be in the computers memory when the computer has been flashed. Do you have any other mods other than tune
Old 05-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3.7 View Post
Correct, I don't care what anyone says, it'll be in the computers memory when the computer has been flashed. Do you have any other mods other than tune

Just like I stated three posts above...

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My only other mod is my borla atak axle backs but the service man mentioned the tune itself

Old 05-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Did i say anyone was wrong here? no. When i was with ford, i always made to mention everyone with 6.0's or 6.4's if they have had a programmer on it to mention it before i find out, or i will void the warranty.... half lied, and didn't get their motors fixed under warranty, the people who were truthful, still have their warranty.

All depending on the service tech and adviser working on the deal.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3.7 View Post
Did i say anyone was wrong here? no. When i was with ford, i always made to mention everyone with 6.0's or 6.4's if they have had a programmer on it to mention it before i find out, or i will void the warranty.... half lied, and didn't get their motors fixed under warranty, the people who were truthful, still have their warranty.

All depending on the service tech and adviser working on the deal.

Hope I didn't offend you. I was agreeing with you as you were backing up what I had mentioned earlier.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 05-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

You're good, just love when people try to cheat the system, just say something if someone asks lol.

the dealerships I go to, I know people there so it doesn't matter.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Jon has it right, alot depends on you and your dealer. Be honest and try to make friends. I say Hi to my sales person every time I'm in (3x wtty ?x for oil filters). Little stuff like that can make a differance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang