Water in spare wheel well/ trunk - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Water in spare wheel well/ trunk

So I just washed my car this evening and was just going thru everything since I'm getting ready to drive my mustang from California to Rhode Island starting this week. I open the trunk and notice the carpeting is wet on the passenger side, I lift it up and there is some standing water where the spare tire would be and just below the carpet. I took everything out of the trunk to include the tail lights and I don't see and water marks or anything anywhere. Has anyone else had this issue, if so what did you do to fix the issue? I'm at a loss and do t know what to do right now.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2015, 01:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1431930233.927535.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	182834
I think I found where it is coming from. What is that black box? A vent? I can't find out how to get to the other side of it without taking the quarter panel off.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If it's still under warranty, take it back to the dealer.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's not. I found the leak and picked up some Epoxy and sealed it up. It ended up being what looked like a screw for a bumper mount that lost its seal. It's all sealed up for now fingers crossed it'll hold.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Is most likely due to some weather striping not sealing properly. My 01 Bonneville had the same issue. Turned out a seal on one of the nuts for the spoiler was nowhere to be found.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Same issue, figured out one of the screws on my aftermarket spoiler was loose and allowing a great deal of water to leak through and stand under the carpet. I realized this only by finding the solution before the problem though... How strange you say? Changing out my valance on a warm dry day that hadn't had rain for awhile I kept getting drops of water hitting me in the face coming from a plastic piece with wiring coming out from the underside of the trunk. I pulled it, got drenched, got pissed, got up then got in the trunk took the spare out and everything and that was actually a plug I was tugging on under there, push that through, drains the water, then put the rubber piece back in and your good. That made me so mad and I can't really even say why besides the obvious dirty water splashing down in your face.
Coyote2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
ive heard alot of people having the same problem, but luckily i havent had that problem yet
Tyler_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
That's alot of water from just the hole at the base of the trunk. I noticed that hole this last weekend. I don't think that can be the end solution.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I found where it was coming from and sealed it up. JB Weld has a two part non metal type epoxy that cures in and hour and it held up to pouring about a gallon of water down the drain channel with no issue. In driving across country now and I really hope it holds up if I run into weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 05-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
That's alot of water from just the hole at the base of the trunk. I noticed that hole this last weekend. I don't think that can be the end solution.

Yeah it wasn't the plug on the bottom because that was sealed I'm pretty sure it was the hole in the top of the trunk allowing the water to come through because the screw had come out of the spoiler. At least that was the only common factor in my assessment and I haven't had the issue come up again since I sealed that hole. But I see what you're saying, that's a bit more water than I would have expected to go through without completely ruining the whole trunk carpet and the hard flat underside of the carpet.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I had same issue of water in the trunk under the spare tire.

What year is your car?
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is a 2014

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang