What kind of tune? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Region: Georgia
What kind of tune?

Okay I drive a v6 and I'm tired of the stock v6 performance. Of course i'm going to add a throttle body but I also want to add a tune and CAI. I was wondering if anybody had any bad experiences with tunes and if anyone had any recommendations. I don't want to be that guy who wastes upwards of $400 on something
1badsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Read the forums man. These are all highly controversial questions. In a lot of people's mind a cai is wasted money unless you do it for looks or the sound. No real gains have been proven from these in real life to my knowledge.

There's several reputable tunners out there. Steeda mpt bama. Are the top three from what I've seen. Read the forums as everyone has there opinions

Take note that none of this has my opinion in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badsix View Post
Okay I drive a v6 and I'm tired of the stock v6 performance. Of course i'm going to add a throttle body but I also want to add a tune and CAI. I was wondering if anybody had any bad experiences with tunes and if anyone had any recommendations. I don't want to be that guy who wastes upwards of $400 on something
Here's a kick start.
BAMA- What are you really getting from them?
Bama Performance Tune Issue
Lets talk performance tunes for 3.7 engines
Bama tune
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

To be honest, a cai and tb didnt do much for my car till i added headers. For all the air you have flowing in, you also have to have room for an equal amount to flow out. A tune will help get everything working together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hello,

A CAI & Tune for the V6 is not only good for power & torque ... but drivability too!!

It is a great combo that will yield great results of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque!

This is what Chris Johnson of SCT had to say about our tunes: ""SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Performance"

http://www.steeda.com/v6-mustang-col...take-555-3159/

Our tunes & CAI have been proven ... there is no waste when purchasing ... only an investment in fun!

Let me know if I can help assist with pricing or help answer any other questions.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I really like my tune.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
I did the Airraid CAI as my first mod. Sounded nice but its gains were minimal. Next up was the BBK 73mm TB. That was well worthwhile. Could certainly feel the difference with it. Folks say it's a paper weight but for my part it was a significant and noticeable increase in power. Part of that may have been the CAI and TB combination. Most recently went with a Livewire TS unit from Bama. You can get the base tuners for about $400. The Livewire with the forums discount from AM (6%) makes end cost for all the bells and whistles another $160 over the base $400 ish for a regular tuner. I posted about it here: Bama Livewire TS Review and Report

I always look at things from a standpoint of systems. I think folks look for a single end all mod when several items actually bring it home that are working in harmony with a tune. Kevin has a good point with the exhaust which is my next mod. Look at it from a systems perspective and I think you can't go wrong. My few mods; my V6 is a night and day different car with them.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've been debating a tune as well, but I'm scared to void my extended engine and transmission warranty if I have any issues down the road.

aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Definitely recommend the mpt tune. It's well worth it if you like that race car feel with hard shifts which is also good for your car.
As said before there's lots of controversy over cai and tb. I personally got my cai as a gift so it worked. Plus the sound is nice. As for tb there have been mixed reviews on if it is effective or just and expensive paperweight. What I'd look for if I was you would be what do you want long term. Do you want to go fi or stay na. Is it worth the investment later down the road or could you use gears or did you want appearance mods.

You will see better gains with gears and a tune compared to the above mentioned combo. Especially if you are on the stock 2.73s.
I prefer mpt because I liked their tune. But Bama also has free tunes for life. I have both Bama and mpt but I prefer the hard shifting of the mpt. Bama also released new tunes for our car which I have yet to check out but I hear they are pretty good.

My recommendation, get the tuner from am. I have the X4 which I like due to # of tunes it holds and the ability to update off of WiFi getting rid of the laptop.
Also you can get a mpt tune later down the road for I think 75 still.
As for cai and tb I'd hold off and get gears for the same investment. 4.10, 3.73, or 3.31. Also just to save you time and money Strut tower braces are almost purely cosmetic for us based off of design. So don't feel the need to get one later go with a real suspension mod like sway bars or lca/ucas.
Hope I saved you some time and money.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #10

Thanks. I really want the 3.73 gears. I just have to get my money right and I'll have them. At the moment I'm trying to get performance mods and then go for look. Thanks, I really appreciate all the help

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
1badsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Gears and tune = best bang for your buck. That is where I left it at. If you want to go big, do TB, headers, exhaust and suspension. CAI is a waste, a good aftermarket filter for the stock intake is just fine.
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

MPT, great tune, excellent customer service
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Tune,CAI and 3.73 gears and I am outrunning V8's....pretty impressive for a little ole 6 banger!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've read all the forums about tunes, warranties, etc. and am just curious...how many of you have actually had a car problem and the dealer told you "no" to a warranty fix simply because of a tune?

aleXXXps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I specifically talked to my dealer....he stated he had "no problem" with guys who tune there car.

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

+1^ Same here, but I guess it would depend on the individual dealer.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
+1^ Same here, but I guess it would depend on the individual dealer.

I've noticed it depends on which service rep you talk to as well. First when I went to my dealer they said I couldn't tune it. Second time I talked to a different guy and he told me to not worry about it. Since then I've been going to the same dealer but only talk to one service rep or I do not get anything done.

Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
I specifically talked to my dealer....he stated he had "no problem" with guys who tune there car.

As it should be, but if the motor breaks you can bet it will be on your dime because of the tune. That being said, with a datalogged tune it shouldn't be an issue unless someone is out being stupid.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
As it should be, but if the motor breaks you can bet it will be on your dime because of the tune. That being said, with a datalogged tune it shouldn't be an issue unless someone is out being stupid.

That's correct and it's not up to the dealer or service tech. It's up to Ford. Ford has a TSB out to dealers to watch for tunes. It's very easy for Ford to say your tune caused the problem. Very hard for you to prove it didn't. Is Steeda, Bama etc going to go to court with you?

And what happens in the middle of a tune if your computer crashes or wifi drops? Not worth the headaches for me.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
OP, since you're new to modding, I would strongly suggest Bama tunes along with a Airraid CAI if thinking of getting a CAI. Bama tunes are excellent and completely transform you're pony into a stallion. Bama has top notch customer service and provides a safe, reliable tune.

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
You can look up my dyno results on my V6, along with my mods.
Ohhhh, It's worth it!!
4:10 Gears are key to maximizing tune!!
"robb15033"
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
Tune,CAI and 3.73 gears and I am outrunning V8's....pretty impressive for a little ole 6 banger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Gears and tune = best bang for your buck. That is where I left it at. If you want to go big, do TB, headers, exhaust and suspension. CAI is a waste, a good aftermarket filter for the stock intake is just fine.
I have to agree that tune and gears are by far the most noticable mods out there. CAI is pretty much a waste unless you DATALOG a custom tune to bring it all together nice and smooth. Datalogging really helps if you have a CAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Read the forums man. These are all highly controversial questions. In a lot of people's mind a cai is wasted money unless you do it for looks or the sound. No real gains have been proven from these in real life to my knowledge.

There's several reputable tunners out there. Steeda mpt bama. Are the top three from what I've seen. Read the forums as everyone has there opinions

Take note that none of this has my opinion in there.

Ditto, dude. Read the forums...go to the very top and read the Newbie thread. Its been tagged IMPORTANT for a reason.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
80% or questions have been answered on this topic in other threads. There's 100 options and it all comes down to someone's opinion of a certain company or experience. Simple as that.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang