Clunk sound coming from passenger side wheel when braking? help please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Clunk sound coming from passenger side wheel when braking? help please

So I just put new wheels on the pony and when I drove her after I had finished I noticed the wheel was making this clunking sound and then as i drove a little longer it began to vibrate as well causing my steering wheel to shake a bit. I went back home and looked at it and noticed that one and only one of the lug nuts was loose enough to turn with my fingers. I tightened it back up and then the car drove fine for about 5 minutes and then the process repeated itself. I drove back home and checked and the lug nut was lose again. (dont know if it was the same one but im assuming it was.) So I tightened them up again and now I have the wheel making this rubbing/squeaking sound and still making the clunking sound, as of now there are no vibrations. so my question is, are these sounds jst a result of one lose lug nut? will new lug nuts fix the problem? or is the sound something else entirely. im going to attach an audio file , very hard to hear but at 5 seconds and again at 23 seconds is where i press the breaks and i hear the clunk sound. Also the cluck is usually loudest when i press the brake abruptly or harshly and also sometimes very loud when in first gear pulling my car into parking spot or something and when i brake hard to stop in the center of the spot it is loud also. Any help is much appreciated , thanks !
potvins cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

heres a link to the audio https://soundcloud.com/chris-boddy/car-sound
Old 05-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Could be the wrong taper on the lug nuts. Which wheels and which nuts did you use? Also, were there clips on any of the studs? If so, those need to be removed. I wouldn't drive it until you figure out the problem.

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Clips on studs mentioned...

Name:   retainer clip.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  7.6 KB
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Clips on studs mentioned...

Attachment 183121
Yep. If those are still on there, remove them immediately.

Jeremy
Old 05-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
When I did the first wheels on my car I still had those clips on, I did t have a problem...

I'd verify lugs as well.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If the wheels are aftermarket, always remove the clips. They are only there to aid in assembly. Most aftermarket wheels are not designed to clear them.

Jeremy
Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So I figured it out and feel pretty dumb haha. So I was using an electric impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts . When the impact wrench stopped tightening I assumed it was because the lug nuts where all the way right. Turns out the pressure isn't that high on the impact wrench so the lug nuts weren't as tight as they should be. tightened them the old fashion way and everything is fine now .
Old 05-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins cups View Post
So I figured it out and feel pretty dumb haha. So I was using an electric impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts . When the impact wrench stopped tightening I assumed it was because the lug nuts where all the way right. Turns out the pressure isn't that high on the impact wrench so the lug nuts weren't as tight as they should be. tightened them the old fashion way and everything is fine now .
Always use a good and reliable torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. Any other way is just asking for problems. Glad you got it figured out!

Jeremy
Old 05-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins cups View Post
I use an impact gun also to remove and then tighten all lugs. Then some good old fashion muscle to tighten them manually, then in one week I check again. 20 years of doing this, never one problem.
Thumbs everything worked out.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang