Clicking noise at slow speeds from d/s - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Clicking noise at slow speeds from d/s

So driving my car around I have noticed a ticking/clicking noise when engaged in gear at moving forward at low speed <15mph it sounds almost like a cv joint clicking but goes away when I increase speed at all. I have the performance drive shaft and 3.31 rear gears. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Someone posted recently about a clicking noise turning out to be a sticker on the driveshaft peeling away and hitting something as the driveshaft rotated.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I read that. No stickers though. Definitely a mechanical clicking noise somewhere from the transmission to the rear axle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mine does this all the time and have gotten it checked out multiple times from different shops and most have just said there's no fix. Even put an adjustable upper control arm with bracket and fixed the pinion angle which didn't do much.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm so just a side effect of the performance drive shaft. Oh well. I'll take the sound over a crappy stock shaft.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
kind of a long shot, but maybe a rock stuck in the tire tread?

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang View Post
Hmm so just a side effect of the performance drive shaft. Oh well. I'll take the sound over a crappy stock shaft.

I didn't think the d/s was different for PP cars... same silly telescoping design.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #8
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I'm coming to the conclusion that the one piece driveshafts are noisy.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No I have an aftermarket drive shaft

Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Have you checked your differential fluid to make sure it wasn't running low or anything? Heard sometimes this can be caused by the gears. Also, have you checked to make sure the bolts were tight on the driveshaft?

Have you tried raising it and spinning the wheels/driveshaft to see if you could manually replicate the sound (may need a friend with you).

Also, are you lowered at all?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Not lowered and no I haven't checked the fluid. Good thought. I will jack it up this week and see if turning the wheels replicates it. The bolts are snug and I used thread locker

Old 05-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

I would also check all the bolts to your exhaust system. Sometimes exhaust leaks will cause a ticking sound.

I am just mentioning all possibilities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Have you checked the u joints?
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not yet, the aftermarket uses a u joint on one end and a cv on the other. The U joints should never have to be greased or adjusted as per the company statement but if not what should I be looking for?

Old 05-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The exhaust is perfect. I had already been through that. It sounds like a bad cv axle does when you drive on them. I can't replicate it unless it is under a load at low speeds. Next I will try using a lift and have the car running

Old 05-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I hate to say it but one pieces really are just noisier I think. Not horribly but they are. I did have it get much better when I had the LCA relocation brackets added which really perfected the pinion angle. even now though it still does. I would say the 1 piece is less forgiving and lighter/thinner. I would say it transmits more noise but often doesn't actually make extra
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it's not loud and very faint. It's just something only car people would really notice. Kind of annoys me though

Old 05-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang View Post
Yeah it's not loud and very faint. It's just something only car people would really notice. Kind of annoys me though

The clunk I get when going to reverse with the 1 piece is also annoying. But nothing we can do about it since it isn't technically an issue in the first place. I guess when you mod, you gotta pay to play. Even if that means gaining the annoyances that go along with it.

Still doesn't hurt to double check everything just to be sure. Let us know when you get it on a lift.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The funny thing is you are at least in a place where we understand. Most of the world would say just put the old one in, I wouldnt want a noice while driving... and we are like ya.... BUT my car loses 15lbs of rotational mass??? No brainer lol
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quick question on mine it seems to vibrate a lot when I don't press the gas in higher speeds as it slows down. I have lowered 3.73 gears relocation brackets control arms and sway bars as well as lowered and transmission brackets. Idk what is causing it and gets bad at higher speeds. Sorry to go away from your post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
Quick question on mine it seems to vibrate a lot when I don't press the gas in higher speeds as it slows down. I have lowered 3.73 gears relocation brackets control arms and sway bars as well as lowered and transmission brackets. Idk what is causing it and gets bad at higher speeds. Sorry to go away from your post.

Could be wheel inflation/balance, motor mounts, etc. Alot of things can cause shaking. Have you rechecked your pinion angle as well?
Old 05-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I hate to say it but one pieces really are just noisier I think. Not horribly but they are. I did have it get much better when I had the LCA relocation brackets added which really perfected the pinion angle. even now though it still does. I would say the 1 piece is less forgiving and lighter/thinner. I would say it transmits more noise but often doesn't actually make extra

LCA relocation brackets have nothing to do with pinion angle.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 05-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Clicking noise at slow speeds from d/s

Quote:

This has to do with the Dual mass flywheel. Tends to cause vibrations at around 2-3k. And it is more noticeable when installing a 1piece ds.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Your driveshaft is vibrating because your pinion angle is off when you lowered it. An adjustable upper control arm fixes this because it brings the pinion angle back to spec.

Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm_3.7 View Post
Your driveshaft is vibrating because your pinion angle is off when you lowered it. An adjustable upper control arm fixes this because it brings the pinion angle back to spec.

+1

Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #26
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:

Are you still using the stock panhard bar??
Old 05-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
This has to do with the Dual mass flywheel. Tends to cause vibrations at around 2-3k. And it is more noticeable when installing a 1piece ds.

^^This. Mine did this before i was lowered and also does it after a 1.5" drop. When you let off the gas, as it slows down between 3-2k you'll get a vibration if your a manual. If this is what he is experiencing its our duel mass fly wheel, and is normal, pinion angle has nothing to do with it.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

This sounds Exactly like mine did. They believe the pinion angle was off enough to help wear the pinion bearing down some. The bearing let metal shavings into rear end and caused vibration enough i t started to shake driveshaft bolts loose even with locktight on them. Ended up getting all new bearings and gears and differential. I didnt need all of that but since taking apart figured what the hell. Go 3.73 and eaton differential while in there. Short thing though is check rear end

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-28-2015, 03:16 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I had to pass a car yesterday or it would hit me.... on the expressway and it shook so bad the throttle body bolts came off. Note they might had been loose since I cleaned it but I cleaned it 2 months ago. Anyways yes it's a manual transmission maybe it is the flywheel or the pinion angle. It did it more when I put the mt82 transmission brackets not so much when I lowered it.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The vibration it worst when letting off the gas at high rpms when in gear to, I don't have a one piece is the stock shaft. I do have an adjustable Panhard

Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The vibration it worst when letting off the gas at high rpms when in gear to, I don't have a one piece is the stock shaft. I do have an adjustable Panhard

Are you lowered?

Old 05-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Absolutley """NO"""noise or anything from my aluminum driveshaft

I had more clung's and vibrations when I had the stock heavy piece of crap stupid drive shaft on my 3.7 V6 Mustang Automatic.
Since the Axle Exchange Aluminum drive shaft was installed, NO CLUNK---NO VIBRATION ---NO NOTHING
I wish I put this on when I first got the car. It is the best noticeable improvement I made other then the Magnaflows.

I don't know why anyone is having noises in their aluminum drive shafts and really can't figure why a drive shaft would make any sound at all other then a clunk when first putting the car in gear (Automatic) or letting the clutch out (Manual)
Why don't some of you with noise problems call the manufacturer of your drive shafts and report the noise they are making. It may be something they can remedy or at least inform you about.
Ronnie

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:45 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Are you lowered?

Yes but it did it before lowering it got worst when I installed the mt82 rubber bracket

Old 06-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

So I looked at my drive shaft more yesterday. I think the clicking is coming from either the attachment point in the back of the transmission or the drive shaft u joints

Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
What's the cost for aluminum and install? Does it really make a difference?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang