Flooded car - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Can he sell parts that might make it inoperable ie. Exhaust manis if it gets totaled? I mean since it already won't move. I'll take a stock mani. But again sorry for your loss man.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
Can he sell parts that might make it inoperable ie. Exhaust manis if it gets totaled? I mean since it already won't move. I'll take a stock mani. But again sorry for your loss man.

If it's totaled and he chooses to retain the car then he can do what he wants with it. If he wants to part it out, he could. But typically people choose to let the insurance company take the car and in that instance the car must be "whole". Any missing parts will subtract from the value.
Wysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post

No, generally the insurance companies sell the cars to either be fixed and rebranded with salvage titles or to junk yards for parts to try and minimize their loss

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Flooded car

All depends if OP wishes to buy his car back from his insurance provider.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #40
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Well if you get on AutoTrader there are a handful of new 14's still left
Old 05-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I do not want this car after all the water has been in it! Haha- no sir. A four banger is out of the question, and I believe my only option would be a 2014 V6 in excellent condition (I'm picky). Also, I've got a strut tower brace and OEM engine cover I put on the car that I'll sell if it's totaled.

DRDMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #42
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Hmmmmm how much would you be willing to let that engine cover go for?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432790760.662707.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	183540

Joking aside, it's awful to see this happen to anyone's car I hope insurance pays out and you get a car you want!
KieraniGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

So guys, here's where we stand:

Allstate came out and said that because the water level was a level 2 (instead of 3 where the water level touches the dashboard) the car may be repairable.

Keep in mind, it's been sitting for three days closed up and had water to the bottom of the seat cushions. I DON'T want this car after this mess. Mold on the seat, a plant growing on the floorboard!

I tried to jump the car, and it will not even turn over or give any sort of lights or anything. Dead. Dead. Dead.

They have advised me to have it towed to be inspected.

Since I was driving and it died, do you think it's hydro locked? I really am worried they will fix it. Water got in the shifter area and that seems to be fried because it won't shift from park and everything is damp in that area. The LCD screen has moisture and I'm sure all the heat has moisture in other areas of the inside of the car. Now four days sitting closed and wet. I cannot get it started for the life of me and do know that there's water on the dipstick for the motor.

Any help would make me feel better. She didn't do anything except look at the water line and then write a check to have the car cleaned and flushed.

What the hell?!?!

Any advice would make me feel better. I'm pretty upset.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I was shocked they didn't total it out and I've tried to get anything to turn on, even the headlights and nothing happens.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #46
Kevin.Cook

Sadly, sometimes with insurance companies you have to show obvious proof with written acknowledgement by a shop that the car is dead before they will total it. If you get it towed and the tech says to nuke it from orbit, then you are still in luck. Will the insurance cover the towing? Lol
Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #47
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
We've got a car that's been totaled out by the insurance company. Got hit by lightning, over 9 grand to fix it, 10 Camry.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Likely what will happen is the shop will go over it, give them an estimate of what needs repairs/replacement. The insurance will look at that cost and % of value it reaches vs cutting you a check and make a decision. Given that you were driving it when it died, it very well could be hydrolocked.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I have no idea- I've paid for insurance for 15 years and finally need to use it and I was floored that they didn't tow it off- she just said, "go ahead and have it towed to a repair facility when you can and they will take it apart and contact us with a supplement amount." You'd think that with it closed up, they would rush it somewhere instead of having it fester in the heat and humidity.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

My agent told me 70% is the threshold for total loss.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

If it were me and you have an alternate mode of transportation... I'd probably continue to let it fester in the sun for a couple of more days before I called the tow to take it to the shop. Let that ruin really set in to ensure when they go through it the list of things needing replacement is the entire interior plus where ever else the water managed to work it's way to.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I figured that if the shop even gets to it tomorrow, it will sit all weekend until Monday am to be looked at.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

I've got another vehicle and a rental they put me in.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #52
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDMustang View Post
I figured that if the shop even gets to it tomorrow, it will sit all weekend until Monday am to be looked at.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

I've got another vehicle and a rental they put me in.

I cannot help but feel for you man. Having a car down for a while is heart breaking enough. Knowing the car will not be recovered is even worse. All I can say is I hope you can do something with some friends or something this weekend to keep your mind off it as much as possible. Even though this is a tragedy, you still need to enjoy other things in the mean time. The more you think about it, the more you might get up set. OR you can start planning your next car Because IF they did fix it, I would take it to the nearest Ford dealer and trade that.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

LOL- that thing will be gone if I get it back. We will see. I was just worried and hoping someone would know how bad it could possibly be... In the end, the dealer needs to really just tear it apart and determine the extent of the damage.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #54
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
LOL- that thing will be gone if I get it back. We will see. I was just worried and hoping someone would know how bad it could possibly be... In the end, the dealer needs to really just tear it apart and determine the extent of the damage.

EGG-xactly!!! XD

And maybe hint to them that you REALLY hope it's totaled. (But be subtle)
Old 05-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #55
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Situation sucks. Maybe show this pic to the guys at the shop and get them on your side?

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I dropped it off at Ford today and am really down that the initial response from the service rider is it's probably repairable. Even the new motor is 7,000.00, but the car only has 7k miles and he will let me know Wednesday on if it will be totaled or not. Very sad day.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I'm about 99% certain they will total it. Especially if it hydro locked. When they do the initial inspection they are using a program that assigns points to things the rep selects. Once it reaches xxx points then the system will trigger a total. If it's a new car the point threshold is crazy high because there is more vehicle value to work with before it reaches that 70%. With new cars it almost always requires a shop tear down because the system can't comprehend the extent of the damage.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

I sure hope you're right. Have you had an experience in the past with this?

Old 05-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I work insurance claims. Have for the last 5-6 years now. I see this all the time.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:07 AM   #61
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If there was water in the air cleaner box, it most likely got into the cylinders, causing a hydro-lock situation (water does not flash burn like gas, and does not compress like it either, so you may have damaged valves, bent the rods, or any combination of both. The carpet is going to mold and shrink. The seats will stink. The electronics will develop gremlins for the rest of its life.

It's best that it becomes a totaled loss.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

If for some reason the do repair it, don't accept the car until every little detail is perfect. Unfortunately the fact that it was flooded will show up and the value will be impacted majorly. Even worse, you can't file diminished value claims against flood damage the majority of the time.

Here's hoping they do end up totalling it.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks... In visiting with the dealership service person, he handed me an invoice from a 2015 mustang that needed a new motor due to flood and it was an 11,000.00 job. Car fixed. He seemed pretty confident (they haven't fully disassemble the car yet) that it's repairable, even with a new motor. I'll know by this evening what the verdict is...

Old 06-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #64
Kevin.Cook

Whatever the case may be. Make sure to test everything if they fix it. Any MyColor component, radio/cd player, powered seats, A/C, etc.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Attachment 183387Attachment 183388

These were taken before the water rose, after the car died.

Yikes! Was this outside your house? I hope you weren't driving it.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Allstate declared it a total loss!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Time to get a new car!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #68
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Boom! So what are you going to get?

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #69
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
yeah!!!!!!!

it's kinda sad when the good news is: "it's totaled" but it is good news.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Oh gosh... I need to start looking for a 2014 possibly new or slightly pre-owned. I'll go drive the 2015 for laughs. Just can't get a 4cyl.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang