Insurance Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Insurance Question

So.....I backed out of my parking place in a private lot today at the same time an SUV backed out and we hit. ZERO damage to his car but the square tow bar on his bumper punctured my rear bumper to the left and below the license plate area. It left a perfect impression of the tow bar. We both share fault equally. I am thinking there is no reason to try to pay the deductible and try to have my insurance fix it because my rate will increase. But I am afraid the whole bumper may have to be replaced. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Insurance Question

You are correct, you're both equally at fault. I can definitely understand not going through insurance. What's your deductible?

The bumper is tough to repair when it's dented or cracked. They'll want to replace the whole thing.

Do you have a pic of the damage?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Take a look at the cost of a bumper at Rock Auto, then decide.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I see one on ebay from Auto Parts Deal for $306 and free shipping. Rock Auto does not show any in stock. R&R + paint maybe $1500 total? Will get an estimate tomorrow and will try to post photo later.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ouch, that is a pretty nasty number

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cut it out and feed another exhaust tip through it!
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Also factor in the cost of another styroforam impact absorber, which is like $130-$150.

I've had mine replaced twice (by insurance) because people like to rear-end me. I'm guessing Grabber Blue must be a really tough color to see. LOL.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Also factor in the cost of another styroforam impact absorber, which is like $130-$150.

I've had mine replaced twice (by insurance) because people like to rear-end me. I'm guessing Grabber Blue must be a really tough color to see. LOL.
How much did it cost (by insurance) to replace? Do you think the old syrofoam impact absorber would not be reusable with just one puncture spot? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
Cut it out and feed another exhaust tip through it!

Add a tow hook right there lok

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsondivots View Post
How much did it cost (by insurance) to replace? Do you think the old syrofoam impact absorber would not be reusable with just one puncture spot? Thanks.
Only problem with not replacing the absorber would be if someone hits you in the rear end again. Because you didn't repair it, the amount of money he would be responsible for would be reduced. Any passengers could sue the other driver and could also sue you for injuries. His injuries might not be as bad but since you didn't fix it, it might contribute to his injuries also.

Good Luck!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Only problem with not replacing the absorber would be if someone hits you in the rear end again. Because you didn't repair it, the amount of money he would be responsible for would be reduced. Any passengers could sue the other driver and could also sue you for injuries. His injuries might not be as bad but since you didn't fix it, it might contribute to his injuries also.

Good Luck!
Yeah, do not want to compromise safety and am not suggesting not having the absorber. Just wondered if it could be re-used since it only has a 2 inch spot of damage.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Give these people a call, although you will pay some freight the prices are really good. Less than $200 for the bumper and less than $100 for the foam impact piece............$150 to paint and you should be under $500............taking the bumper off the car is pretty easy but if you want the dealer to do it add another $100.

BUMPER & COMPONENTS - REAR for 2014 Ford Mustang
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I can't believe on one suggested just slapping a bumper sticker on it.......
Old 05-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Give these people a call, although you will pay some freight the prices are really good. Less than $200 for the bumper and less than $100 for the foam impact piece............$150 to paint and you should be under $500............taking the bumper off the car is pretty easy but if you want the dealer to do it add another $100.

BUMPER & COMPONENTS - REAR for 2014 Ford Mustang
Thanks for the link!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I can't believe on one suggested just slapping a bumper sticker on it.......
Yeah, it is pretty hard to laugh when your new car is damaged and it is going to cost $$ to fix.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I took it to 3 body shops. 2 quoted $1,137-$1,152. Third one is shop I used for some work years ago on my 2005 Mustang. He thinks he can fix the spot and repaint. Says I may be able to see where repair was done but will look good. Considering where the damage is it seems worth the $350 he is asking to give it a shot. Will take it in next Monday. Two days in shop. I will post after photo when done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang